Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-06, 2:37pm
Loving learning

Default Tutorials at the torch, how do you use them?

I need to find a way to use tutorials at the torch more easily.
I have printed out some, but flipping pages and looking for my place while keeping it far enough away that I don't set it on fire (been there, done that) means I don't really follow the directions carefully enough.

How do you do it? I don't have a computer out there, & don't really have a spot for one either even if I did have one.

I thought about maybe hanging them somehow but don't know about flipping the pages as I go. Is there a good way?
Old 2013-09-06, 2:44pm
honorary bead lady

I read, go try, come back in and read again, make some notes and try again
over,
and over
and over
Old 2013-09-06, 2:49pm

Eileen, I have an easel stand that I use that I place by my torch chair. I use a large clip to attach it where it will not fall off of the stand as I turn the pages. Most of my tutorials are bound like a cookbook so they lay flat when I flip the page. I'm sure others have better ideas but this has worked nicely for me. Just an idea.

Glenda
Old 2013-09-06, 2:53pm
Loving learning

David, I made the oddest looking "monkey" based animal this afternoon using this method even though I also took the tutorial to the torch with me It doesn't help that I skim sometimes, and miss important bits of into, or that I take creative license before I really know what I'm doing either.

Glenda, I do have an easel somewhere, great idea. I don't have them bound, but maybe could make it work, thanks!
Old 2013-09-06, 4:48pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
It doesn't help that I skim sometimes, and miss important bits of into, or that I take creative license before I really know what I'm doing either.
But that is how you make it yours
Old 2013-09-06, 8:12pm
Slogan Challenged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
over,
and over
and over
This, or notes on a flashcard. I always seem to miss a step, but that a-ha moment and trying later is fun, I always figure it's a part of it. I'm not sure having everything right in front of you will mean that doesn't happen.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2013-09-06, 8:20pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Eileen I purchased a cheap tablet that takes sd cards. When I get a tutorial I download to my card and take the tablet out to the studio. I keep it near me. Go through it before starting. If I get stuck it is right next to me to glance at quick. I don't use it for anything else but tuts. I do take it in the car with me when I have a new one so I can read through it a few times before attempting it.
Also my tablet is not huge and I like that I can enlarge the pic with a flick of my finger.

Old 2013-09-06, 8:31pm
Loving learning

Hmmm, I don't have one, but maybe I'll see what a used one runs.

Kristin, today I tried a monkey from the 20 BOC tutorial ebook, but I just glanced through for the high points. I did not make a monkey, , just a vaguely monkey faced critter of some kind. It dawned on me too late that I'm so used to making cats I put his ears on in the wrong place
Old 2013-09-06, 8:55pm

digital photo frame. convert pages to .jpg files put on flash drive. use the remote to flip pages.
Old 2013-09-06, 10:19pm
offically down under

ipad using good reader

Old 2013-09-06, 11:35pm
It's all about the color.

I too use the iPad with Good Reader. My hubby got me a nifty charging stand that holds it up at the perfect viewing angle while it recharges it and that works just perfect in my studio so the tablet has a very small footprint.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2013-09-07, 5:39am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post
I too use the iPad with Good Reader. My hubby got me a nifty charging stand that holds it up at the perfect viewing angle while it recharges it and that works just perfect in my studio so the tablet has a very small footprint.
What about flying glass? Don't you worry it will hit the screen? (And now I have to go see what Good Reader is....thanks Eileen...another thread, another thing to buy!)
Old 2013-09-07, 6:15am
Loving learning

I know, it never ends!
Old 2013-09-07, 6:22am
Angie09

I never even got to Good Reader before seeing Photo Manager...bought it. Now I have to sort thru over 1200 images of beads and categorize them. I'll have to save Good Reader for a later time . . . Much later!
Old 2013-09-07, 8:52am
Addicted to Frit!!!

iPad with iBooks reader. It sits on a small charging stand so I can view as I'm going through it. Works great!

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Old 2013-09-07, 9:23am

I am low tech. I read throught the tut. Print the cheat sheet if available. Sometimes the whole thing.
I stick the reference or cheat sheet to my can of sand that holds my mandrels. Far away from flame so it doesnt catch fire but easy to viee as I go. Totally hands free. The ones that are more detailed I have to take my chances and flip pages. Lol I am right handed so I keep the pages on the left of the torch so I dont accidently lay hot glass on them.
Old 2013-09-07, 9:48am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
What about flying glass? Don't you worry it will hit the screen?
And I repeat.....
Old 2013-09-07, 9:58am
I'm meeeeelting

Another iPad/Good Reader user here. I have an L-shaped counter and I set it aways away on the other arm from where my torch is but where I can still get to it fairly easily by swiveling my chair around.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-09-07, 10:58am
Mr Brutus RIP

Well since I got mine so cheap 79. I don't worry so much. My husbands was 500 so I would never use it. I have a screen protector on it so hopefully that would help too.

Old 2013-09-07, 11:08am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
over,
and over
and over
This. I condense the info as much as possible onto a sheet of paper with quick sketches and post it on the wall in front of my torch for reference. I still end up reading and going back and forth a BUNCH before I get it, but eventually the info soaks in.

Old 2013-09-07, 12:49pm

One more trick (from Kimberly Affleck) is to line up your glass in the order in which it will be used - That would simplify the steps somewhat!

Barbara
Old 2013-09-07, 12:58pm
Loving learning

After reading Cherri's post, I remember that I have done my own "cheat sheet" in the past, with quick sketches & a few words of reminder on the parts I was concerned I'd forget. Maybe I'll try that again until I decide to spend some $$ for an electronic thing.
I do have an old laptop my son abandoned here, no sound but picture is OK, but it would take up too much room.
Old 2013-09-07, 2:52pm
Obsessionwoman

I read the tut many times...then I use a white board to print the steps...I use different colors to mean different things....I just bought my first mini I-pad..I wish this option were available long ago...I have always printed out tutorials..I have eleven 3-inch binders full !!! I'm sorry I never saved my tutorials to my computer...LOL
Old 2013-09-07, 7:21pm
offically down under

I have my ipad on a charging stand which is off to the left of the torch on a book shelf and about 12 inches higher than my torch. I am able to reach it with my left hand so I can quickly swipe pages whilst torching.

Old 2013-09-07, 7:48pm

What about reading the instructions into a voice activated tape recorder?

Barbara
Old 2013-09-09, 7:32am
Redheaded Thread Killer

Yep! I would read it over several times, sort of mentally practice it in your head. I would also prep my work station with the materials needed for the tutorial. Then I'd just make it and see how it goes. If it doesn't turn out well for whatever reason, try again. I tend to use them more as guides than bead-by-number type things. In the end it's going to be your take on the bead anyways! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
One more trick (from Kimberly Affleck) is to line up your glass in the order in which it will be used - That would simplify the steps somewhat!

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2013-09-09, 10:57pm

Thanks for asking the question Eileen! I didn't know I needed to know the answer lol

I don't have a tablet of any sort and my laptop is rather huge, so I really like Queenofwords digital photo display suggestion - especially with a remote.

It's cheaper than tablets (here in Australia anyway), I can get a 15" one that will sit upright or wall mount - no worries about taking up desk real estate. It'll be big enough to read from a distance - I can imagine with a tablet I'd be leaning over trying to turn a page with one hand, read the fine detail and setting fire to stuff while waving hot glass and drippy beads around with the other hand.....multitasking at its finest!
Old 2013-09-10, 5:15am

Update to last post - I bought a digital photo display! Loving it! The remote battery might be a little flat, I have to get within 6 inches of the display for it to work and that's definitely not ideal.

The zoom function is superb, better than my glasses can manage with a paper copy.

There'll be no more flipping over too many pages at once, no more small fires or wisps of smoke curling up from my printed tuts, no more dropping the whole pile of loose pages on the floor or losing my place in amongst glass, paper, frit, mandrels and so on. Still not certain if I'll get rid of all my printed tuts, though they are sitting around in piles of various heights and varying degrees of stability.

Can't wait to torch!!! It can play movies too, so I guess I just might have to download some YouTube tuts to test it out
Old 2013-09-10, 7:02am
Loving learning

Way to go Marianne!
What set me off on this quest was the ebook for the BOC tutorials. I tried a monkey & it looks more like a bear, so I really do need to follow the directions at least once! I will at least read it all the way through a few times before I try again (if I haven't followed one of the great suggestions here).
Old 2013-09-10, 7:11am
Angie09

Well again THANKS Eileen...I'm now the proud owner of not only GoooReader but then had to find a photo management system so got Photo Manager Pro. Both EXCELLENT products but its gonna take me months to get what I already have in My PDFs (not so good of a program ) converted into GoodReader but once it's done, it will be terrific and ill be able to actually find the reason I saved something! Thanks for starting a great thread!