LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-09-07, 6:29pm

Hey Eileen! So I tried the 1# canister. Maybe a big tank is different. Tomorrow to HD or Lowes for more MAPPro
Old 2014-09-07, 8:02pm
Loving learning

It may also be partially the difference in torches, I'm not sure.
Old 2014-09-08, 4:16am

My welding shop cleaned out a propane tank I brought in...filled it with propylene...30#... cost $49. That is a little over 1.50/pound compared to buying 1# "disposable" tanks at abt $10 per tank. Then I found the 12 foot propane hose to connect large tank to end on HH for $23 or $ 24 at Amazon. Small piece of bent steel and hose clamp and there u have it. You need a propane hose for propylene because you run it full on....97# pressure. No regulator. Some welding shops won't do this, but mine did...no problem. Call around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-09-08, 4:33am

You can buy a 30# propane cylinder at Amazon for abt $80, then there would be no problem with filling it with propylene. The welding shop should put on a propylene sticker. I took my sticker off, spray painted the tank a nice bright yellow (the appropriate propylene color) and reapplied the sticker. The hose assembly is a Mr. Heater #F273702 for $25.82

Old 2014-09-08, 1:49pm
I'm meeeeelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Sorbet View Post
If it's going to cost $300 for the tank and gas, it would be my suggestion to upgrade your torch and go with oxygen/propane - the oxygen should be a ton cheaper than what they are estimating and will offset the cost of the torch, etc.
I was going to make the some suggestion. You could probably buy a Cricket and a 5 lpm oxygen concentrator for about the same cost and you'll have far less issue with glass discoloration.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2014-09-09, 5:10am
Glass-aholic

I used to get propylene in a 7lb tank that lasted me about a month with lots of torching, longer if I did not torch a few hours a day. It ran me about $32 to fill it. I was on a HH for 10 years. The difference between switching gasses (more than anything for me at least) was the sweet spot. Your sweet spot will be in a different part of the flame. It's not huge difference working wise. But it will seem very different until you find the sweet spot. And slow down. Things just take time on the HH. So crank some tunes and torch

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-09-13, 10:34am
Tending The Fire!

Not preventative, however, for cleaning up accidental little red reduction spots and greyish soot on turquoise blue greens, a quick dip in toilet bowl cleaner does wonders

My Facebook Page!

Old 2014-09-13, 9:42pm

Right now, I'm not in a place to have a larger tank.

Beck, do you know what the toilet bowl cleaner does? That's really interesting.