LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2007-03-05, 5:30am
boro color bender

Nice job Don! Can I borrow Zora, so she can take pics for me? I promise to send her back eventually!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-03-05, 5:53am

Most definitely a 5-star thread. Thanks again.
Old 2007-03-05, 8:46am
Fire Borne

I have always admired your work! Your tut is perfectly clear. Thanks for generously sharing your technique, especially your ingenious forked punty. I'm going to try to make these for my sisters.

pat

Old 2007-03-05, 10:04am
Always with a smile!

Don, thanks for this , it's awesome. I will also try it with soft glass and see how it goes, using some of the "stiffer" colors. We will see. I've always admired your work.
thanks,
Jill

) and
)
Old 2007-03-05, 10:33am
CA Queen Bitch

Wow Don!! Fantastic tutorial! I have one of Don's hearts and they are just so beautiful! He has some beauties on Ebay that are a real steal!!!

~ME~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2007-03-05, 12:26pm

Don that was fabulous. Thanks so much!!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-06, 12:42am
Fire and Fluidity

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback!

Sandra, yes please post pics here.

Brent, I'm afraid if we let Zora visit, she would never come back. She really wants to go live in NY city. She loves the colors you get in your pendants, and can hardly wait for the Barracuda to get here.

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2007-03-06, 2:05am
Entropy increasing....

Wonderfully done tutorial, Don.
Old 2007-03-06, 7:53pm

Cool, thanks Don.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-03-07, 5:35pm
the Evil One

Don here are a few I did this weekend with soft glass. I need to do ALOT more pp but it is a start! Thank you again for tut. I just love your hearts!!!

Sandra

Old 2007-03-09, 11:02am
Fire and Fluidity

Sandra,

Wow, great hearts! I especially like the first one, very nice form & curves. I think the loops might be a little delicate though.

-Don-

Old 2007-03-12, 8:00pm

Frysmith, Where do you get the press that you have. OR did you make it. That is so cool. I would love to get one. The tut is fantastic.

Rose Leslie
Old 2007-03-16, 3:23pm
Fire and Fluidity

Rose Leslie:

The press is made from a piece of stainless steel pipe sawn up and welded to a base. I have several top parts to give different thicknesses. So essentially it is a cylindrical press made from 1 1/2 inch pipe.

-Don-

Old 2007-03-24, 8:52pm

Hello Don:

Thank you so much for the great instruction! Your photos are very good, which is a great help for the language challenged. The forked punty hints at some glassblowing experience, and is a great touch if one is keeping the lobes of equal height. Best of all is the twisted loop, which is so much easier and esthetically pleasant in this application. I used a Stanley knife blade to pull the crease, which worked for the boro if the gather was hot enough. Your method is genius, I thought that maybe a metal pet flea comb might work for this also.

I have made on mandrel hearts before, but this technique allows greater freedom to display the result. Images below in order of manufacture, examples are taken from a total of 19 that I made, I didn't want to bore you with the rest!..I didn't anneal any of the ones pictured....

Images #1, 2 and 3 are soft glass. Images #4, 5 and 6 are boro. Interestingly, although they appear to be around the same size in the photos, the last one is considerably larger than the first!

Thank you so much for the great tutorial!

Now..., if only I could achieve the colors that Brent gets from boro!!

Images below are boro.

Old 2007-03-28, 12:43pm
Fire and Fluidity

David,
Great hearts! Looks like that first one got so excited dancing that its wing just flew off. I agree 100% about Brent's colors.

-Don-

Old 2007-03-28, 12:57pm
Shine your bright side!

Don's da bomb!
Fabulous tutorial.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-03-30, 9:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrsmith View Post
David,
Great hearts! Looks like that first one got so excited dancing that its wing just flew off. I agree 100% about Brent's colors.

-Don-
Thanks, Don. Yep, I didn't bother annealing any of them, I was having so much fun making them! Thanks so much for the twisted loop, I really like the look!

David

Old 2008-02-29, 12:12pm

Thanks for the tut.
G.
Old 2008-02-29, 3:56pm

Thank You for the tut with great pictures. Can't wait to try this one.
Tools...oh my ,drool!
MarieAnn
Old 2008-02-29, 4:14pm
Living out Loud

Thank you so much, I have admired your hearts, now I can try it.
Old 2008-03-01, 2:18pm
Chrissy

Don I love your heart tut...I will have to give it a try with soft glass.... I'm hoping to get into boro one day.( but then what will I do with all my soft glass after I get hooked)
I have one of Don's fish from our OB exchange and I love love love it. Don you rock!!!!

Old 2008-03-06, 10:37am
Fire and Fluidity

Thanks for the compliments. Several people have done this in soft glass successfully, but you do have to be careful not to get the loop too thin. Have fun!

-Don-

Old 2021-09-12, 9:52pm

Thank you, very pretty
Old 2021-09-24, 10:39pm

Thank you. I Love The different take in your tutorial.