Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-10-12, 2:15am

Default HELP with colors/prices like yesterday!!

I want to make some candy canes and icicles for christmas... just some different ornaments. Who carries a good red, white, clear at a reasonable price.. other trans. too. Also need to know if I need to be worried about compatibility problems if I mix brands...
Help like yesterday... have a show soon and figured I would make some things that range in prices...
Thanks for your help.
Elizabeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-10-12, 2:45am

Forgot a question.. is there a gold or silver boro? Like to trim with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-10-12, 6:38am
Boro Brat

I usually use Northstar's Egyptian White Sands for white, but it is a bone color really, so that won't work for your purpose. All white should really be worked out further in the flame to prevent boiling. I've heard that GA's Snow White is a good white to use.

As far as red goes, I do like NS Pommegranate but my understanding is that Glasshawk's Elvis is the way to go for red...intense transparent red that won't liver up. Pommegranate is a lighter red and I like the bright clean color that I get out of it, so I guess it would depend on the tone of red you want.

For clear, it sounds like you'll probably be layering the color over the clear (other than encasing the white), so it really doesn't matter what you get for that (boro clears generally don't scum up like soft glass clears).

NS, GA, and Momkas all have nice transparent colors and my experience has been that they are all pretty stable. Be sure to pick yourself up some cobalt...super easy color to work

As far as a place to go, I'm pretty sure Chad (Cosmo) will have everything you need and he knows his stuff so he can guide you if you need it Good luck at the show!!!

Old 2007-10-12, 6:40am
Boro Brat

There is no real gold or silver in boro other than fuming, which would be hard to trim with. You might think about getting a dark color with lots of silver and then reducing it to a metallic...something like GA's black pearl maybe?

Old 2007-10-12, 8:05am

Elizabeth - I like Borostix white because it's smooth and doesn't boil like the other whites I've tried. For red I would go with Elvis (maybe medium?) because the Pomegranite is more of a pinkish red (IMHO) but I like both of these reds a lot.

For silver you could try Disco Sparkle (sort of a glitter-like steel sparkle) or you could try Obtanium which is a steel colored sparkle (though neither are truly bright silver).

As far as compatibility there's really not as much worry as there is in soft glass although there are a few "rules" - like some greens don't like to be encased and some whites shouldn't touch the mandrel.

I buy a lot of Northstar seconds from Glasscraft to play with. I know a lot of people don't recommend these but I've really enjoyed buying one rod at a time to play with before I commit to a quarter pound of firsts.

Old 2007-10-12, 8:09am
Boro Brat

GA Disco sparkle is a really fun color. The rod looks lumpy and ugly, but if you mix it up with clear or a transparent color, it has big sparkle flakes! Really cool

Old 2007-10-12, 9:00am
ManBearPig

The best red out there is Elvis. End of discussion.

For white, I like Star White or Parramore White.

For silver, I would probably use something like GA Black Pearl, and then really reduce it when you are done. It will get a mirror-like appearance. For gold, use a dark color and fume gold over it.

Old 2007-10-12, 9:56am
Torch junkie

If you don't mind going a little bit old school for gold and silver accents. You can get the lusters from Glass Craft. http://www.glasscraftinc.com/product/product_list.cfm
Look under "Lusters and Applicators"

You paint these lusters on after you have annealed your pieces, let the luster dry and then put the ornaments back a cold kiln and bring them back up to 1050. Fire them for about 15 minutes and cool the kiln back to room temp. This fires the lusters on to the glass and makes them permanent. Using this method, you can get very precise lines and put the gold and silver exactly where you want it. Here's an example of how I used the gold luster to high light the wings and tail on this pegasus. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=013

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2007-10-12, 11:53am
ManBearPig

Cool. I've never tried those before...

Old 2007-10-12, 12:40pm
Torch junkie

In the one and only class that I took from an older glass blower on working working with boro he used these lusters. The gold luster is pure 22 karat gold suspended in a solution and if you want silver. I think you use platinum luster? This is commonly seen on wine glasses and plates. The guy I took the class from only worked in clear boro and when I ask him about boro color, he said " why would you want to mess with that?" just use the lusters and paints for glass. LOL! I got the impression that he had never used the wonderful boro color that in now available. I hate the old school method of painting the clear glass, but by using the lusters you get the true gold and it doesn't rub off like some of the glass paints can.

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2007-10-12, 2:19pm
Serenity Now!

Very cool - thanks Rog! (And I love your pegasus!!)

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-10-12, 6:09pm

Thanks all of you that was sooo helpful...

Roger, that reminds me of the gold, silver, irrid. used in ceramics. Wonder if it is the same stuff?

Old 2007-10-14, 8:53pm
Lampworker

just want to tell everyone that the lusters are very dangerous, and can cause cancer.

i used them and stopped because they gave me a headach.
the rules i used for safty are
1) clean the glass with alcohol first, this will help them stay on.
2) apply under a fume hood, something where your head is not going to smell the fumes from the bottle
3) fire with the kiln door cracked for the first hour or to let off harmful fumes
4) i think the firing temp is 1100 so the stuff doesnt scratch or flake off
5) put it on thick for an even dark coat.
6) leave the room while firing, dont be anywhere near your exhause. the fumes are very toxic.

good luck
i have some if anyone wants some, would trade for color or sell. dont know exactly how much i have but i know i have gold and platinum left from when i used it i may also have some colors like black. but ill have to check what i havent thrown out. pm me if interested.

i would rather fume anyday.
Old 2007-10-15, 11:49am
Torch junkie

Thanks for the safety info Oldschooltofu! The guy that showed me how to use the lusters told me to always leave the room when firing them, but he never explained why? What you have said makes perfect sense and safety is always #1 in my book!

Old 2007-10-16, 12:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassroger View Post
Thanks for the safety info Oldschooltofu! The guy that showed me how to use the lusters told me to always leave the room when firing them, but he never explained why? What you have said makes perfect sense and safety is always #1 in my book!
Do you know if this is the same stuff used on ceramics ? If so I have some of that.