Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-10-20, 8:18am

Red face fire lotus is my "Newman"..

Hi all.. hope you are all having a great day, wherever you live I hope the sun is shining your way....it sure isn't here...lol...
anyway.. i call fire lotus or iris orange my "newman" referring to seinfeld and his like/hate relationship with him..thats me and fire lotus.. omg cannot get the colours to come out. I did once, and encased it but it cracked. I was told to encase with laushca and it wouldn't crack.. we shall see.. so 2 fold question, how do you get the colours to really come out and can i encase with lauscha? thanks for any and all information, i really am getting tired of "Newman" have a great day all, kindest e gards Tina
Old 2015-10-20, 10:40am
Dix Harrison

Fire Lotus and Iris Orange are two different glasses by two different manufacturers.
You knew that, right?

Is Fire Lotus causing the problems? It is a striking color. I strike it the same way as Dalai Lama. There is a good thread in these archives about striking Dalai Lama. It includes a video. Check it out for tips. ��
Old 2015-10-21, 1:05pm
just another glass addict

I make sure the fire lotus is heated all the way clear before I use it. Often, if I make dots the last one will not strike and that is because it did not get heated all the way to clear. It can cool again after that so you can control it, but it must go to clear first.
As for encasing in lauscha, I have never had good luck with that so no advice from me for that. I use effetre super clear and "peel" the outer layer off. It is time consuming but it improves heat and flame control immensely. Others use different clears successfully.

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-10-22, 6:27am

Iris Orange is also not 104 glass. It can't really be encased by 104 clear. I have done it in the past and it was fine until I accidentally put a handful of beads down on a table too quickly to go answer the door....... came back and some were cracked. They looked fine for a few months but they were just waiting to break....

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2015-10-22, 3:08pm
Naysayer

I thought most said not to encase with Lauscha?

There is a 104 Iris Orange http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=219&pID=1637
Not sure which OP has.

I'll take your Fire Lotus if you ever want
I just get it hot and strike like other colors, not sure which torch you are on, if a HH it really won't do anything to these 2 colors.