LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-04-14, 6:23pm

Default "blooming" colours

I am having fun with some transparent colours which "bloom" or spread like an uneven water colour wash over a pale opaque. So far, I have tried rubino over white and opal yellow, and a purple stringer made from ValCox African Violets and clear, over pale blue, periwinkle and pale pink. These are doing what I want. Anybody else further down this road than I am and can give me some more ideas?

Thank you,
KMD
Old 2007-04-14, 8:49pm
Covered in glitter

pictures???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-04-14, 8:55pm
Floral Obsessed

Pink is definitely the softest transparent. I think this is because it's coloured with gold. Most transparents other than rubino are fairly stiff and don't spread much the way you're describing, though - it's generally an opaque reaction. However, the general rule to follow if you want spreading is to layer a soft colour on another soft colour, then superheat. Greens, white, opal yellow, pinks and purples are fairly soft. Mosaic green spreads like crazy and pretty much takes over! Ivory's soft too, but don't mix it with rubino, EDPurple or green (especially mosaic green), since you'll probably get a brownish reaction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2007-04-14 at 9:00pm.
Old 2007-04-25, 12:15am

Default spreading transparent colours

This is the sort of effect I would like to get more of. The watercolour effect in some of the dots.
Can anybody help with colour suggestions?

Thank you,
KMD
Attached Images

Last edited by kmd; 2007-04-25 at 12:17am.
Old 2007-04-25, 12:44am
Formerly known as LT

intense black is really cool how it spreads. (Click on my link below) the black hole focal is my example.

Old 2007-04-25, 8:43am

I often pull stringer from Reichenbach lampworking rods. Reichenbach is a leaded furnace glass so the color is very concentrated. I think some of Val's frit is also furnace glass so that's probably why the violet spread since these tend to do that. I love using this technique because it gives me a new color palette--always fun--and nice 'blooming' effects. Since these are leaded glasses you can successfully use them with coe 104's in small amounts. Sorry, I don't have any pictures but just experiment and have a good time!
Old 2007-04-25, 9:06am

EDP!
Also, most Lauscha colors will do the "blooming" (I like that word!) when you put them on Moretti - not to the same extent as Rubino, but you can get the effect if you heat them long enough. Try Olive Green or Steel Blue.
Some CiM colors do it too (Leaky Pen, Berry something-or-other and I think a couple of others too).

|
|
|
Old 2007-04-25, 9:28am

I love the bloom effect, I stumbled on it by accident - LT, I love your focal.. The colors are kinda muted in the picture & the bloom doesn't show real well, but here's what I got:

I used some kind of orange, (can't remember), copper green, & intense black over that

Old 2007-04-25, 12:04pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

This is awesome, i've been wondering about colours that do that too.

Old 2007-04-25, 12:27pm

it is sooo fun to see it bloom in the flame!! I've been experimenting with all sorts of colors.. some work some don't, but it's all good. I have a list at home that I need to update. My problem is where I buy my glass the rods are not marked so I don't know a lot of the colors yet.

Last edited by Lonroxc; 2007-04-25 at 12:30pm.
Old 2007-04-26, 3:45am

Woo Hooo! Lauscha, eh! Any more colour suggestions?
I need more glass! I only have Vetrefond/Effetre/Moretti, and a drawer full of BullsEye that has been "resting".

Time to get down to some serious testing and listing. I have made lots of test beads before, and they go in the bottom drawer all nicely labelled, and then I sort of forget to look at them again.

The purple that behaved so nicely is ValCox African Violets frit mixed with clear into a stringer. The colour is certainly intense as I discovered when I rolled a whole bead in it, and it was almost black over clear. Good news, though, to make the pretty stuff go further, 'cause it costs.
Attached Images

Old 2007-04-26, 3:48am

Default blooming colours, intense black

LT,
Your "fossil" bead with the black holes looks great. Did that Intense black dot need any help to spread and grow little legs, or did you just let it do its own thing?

KMD
Old 2007-06-12, 4:11am
Formerly known as LT

Intense black will spread very easy. If your not careful though you will loose the bloom and it will spread apart to much. Thanks for the compliments!

Old 2007-06-12, 8:01am

CIM French blue does it, plus it gets darker in the middle

Mosaic green does it too, just it spreads and spreads-be careful with it. I pull stringers of it to play with-really thin ones then put little dots on beads.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-06-12, 2:46pm
Frit frit and more frit!

Hiya
I'm not sure if this is of any help but I posted a piccy of a B&W bead that has `spread' in this thread:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56775

Its the purple bead in post 8
Old 2007-06-12, 9:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadysam View Post
Hiya
I'm not sure if this is of any help but I posted a piccy of a B&W bead that has `spread' in this thread:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56775

Its the purple bead in post 8
Well how cool is that? I never got that effect when I used black and white.
Back to the drawing board for me.
In fact I'm printing this thead out because I my colors don't spread, except for maybe Effetre green.
Even Robino came out in nice crisp dots on Opal Yellow! What am I doing wrong? I really love that blooming effect!!!
Oh wait. I do remember one color that did that for me. It was a pale minty Alabastro or the other one, ......Opaline? On white it spread, or at least looked milky transparent. Maybe it's just the nature of that glass.
Angela

Last edited by ziggys; 2007-06-12 at 9:40pm.
Old 2007-06-12, 9:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonroxc View Post
it is sooo fun to see it bloom in the flame!! I've been experimenting with all sorts of colors.. some work some don't, but it's all good. I have a list at home that I need to update. My problem is where I buy my glass the rods are not marked so I don't know a lot of the colors yet.
Boy I sure would love to see that list.
Have you tried matching them to this site that has pictures of all the rods? (for Effetre that is).
http://www.chrisfisherart.com/Morett...ic%20Chart.htm
That's what I have to do 'cause all the tags fall off.
FWIW,
Angela
Old 2007-06-13, 4:13pm

I also love the "watercolor" look..I get that look a lot when I use spiral dance's dragon gems frit..it's gorgeous!!!

Old 2007-06-13, 4:40pm

Sprial Dance's Dragon Gems Frit? Where do you get that one, who makes it?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Angela
Old 2007-06-13, 7:13pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Angela:

You get it from Sprial Dance. Here is the link:

http://www.spiraldancedesign.com/ind...TS&Category=34

Ebay:
Old 2007-06-14, 9:44pm
It's all about the color.

I've been doing lots of reasearch on frits and what they will, and won't do. I've been putting the results into charts and occasionally put some on my website. What you're looking for is shown in the second column of the charts.

Next week I'll be changing the charts to a different selection, so keep your eyes peeled.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2007-06-24, 8:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post
I've been doing lots of reasearch on frits and what they will, and won't do. I've been putting the results into charts and occasionally put some on my website. What you're looking for is shown in the second column of the charts.

Next week I'll be changing the charts to a different selection, so keep your eyes peeled.
Great chart and info! All your charts and info., have been so helpful. I'm keeping my eyes peeled.
Thanks!
Angela
Old 2007-06-24, 8:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
Angela:

You get it from Sprial Dance. Here is the link:

http://www.spiraldancedesign.com/ind...TS&Category=34
Thanks Patsy ....I think.
(I'm feeling guilty at the moment for buying Odd Lot Vetrofond glass).
Don't show pictures! LOL!
Angela
Old 2007-06-24, 9:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post

I just realized why you said the second column. If you over cook it you get watercolor effects. Duh!
Anyway, at least I am a little closer to knowing how to use them now!
Thanks again,
Angela
Old 2007-06-25, 10:57am

I'm working on them - but I'm behind cuz my FIL was in ICU for a week, then when he got out, my cousin had a tumor on her brainstem removed (she's 3 1/2) and now my Mom is in the hospital. For those who live in Salt Lake City, watch out - that's where all 3 live!

The new charts I'm working on finishing are Double Helix frits, some of LBSupplys blends, some of CIM's frits, and maybe the new Effetre Grasshopper color.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2007-06-26, 9:34pm

Awwww Kay, I'm sorry to hear about such health problems for so many you love. I hope your making/finding time to take care of yourself through all the chaos!

On a lighter note...About that Grasshopper. I wanted some the minute I saw it but was hoping I could use your Pet mix to keep myself from buying any! It looked like the Grasshopper color on my monitor. Is it?

Not that I have ever mixed glass. I assume you can only pull it into stringer?
I also have about 4 frits that I didn't see on the charts so maybe they will show up next time around. No pressure, honest! Though melting glass is such a stress reliever.

Angela
Old 2007-06-26, 9:42pm
Weezer's Beads

Good Info! Thanks
Old 2007-06-27, 9:29am

No it's not, but good news - the 4th page I'll put up there does include the Grasshopper color as frit so you'll be able to compare the 2. The pet mix is actually a mix of petroleum green and white. Whn I started the chart years ago, I wanted a pale copper containing color, and everyone was out of sky blue and lt. turquoise (I guess everyone was playing with it on Ivory) so I had to mix my own. BUT, since I started with that, I couldn't change it because then I would have to redo the first ones.

About the mixed glass, you can pull it into thicker rods, but it's a wee bit shocky that way.

And the 4 frits you didn't see on the charts, here is an updated list of the colors I need - except I don't have the Reichenbach Casting Colors On there yet. If it's on the list as me needing it, hang onto it for a couple weeks. As soon as I write to a few more folks for Bonus frits, I'll do a frit exchange. I always have a bonus for folks who send in frits that are on the list. Last exchange it was a 2 for 1 exchange. This time I'm thinking about it being a Glow-In-The-Dark Frit, or some other Frit that everyone might like.

And yes, for those who wanted to know, Mom got out of the hospital yesterday and is now resting happily in her own home.

OK, enough about me. I'll start my own thread as soon as I get the charts updated - which is todays project.