Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-09-16, 12:42pm

Sorry Anouk, me dumb. I found it downstairs. yikes can't have too many tutorials now can I. LOL
Old 2010-09-16, 12:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
I've purchased several tutorials and love them all. There was something to be learned from each and every one of them. However, I'm careful about what I purchase most of the time. I make sure that the tutorial showing me something that I can't figure out on my own. I also will sometimes wait to see what others do with the tutorial before purchasing if I'm not sure. Lastly, I am drawn to purchase tutorials of LE members who post on this board often. When I practice the tutorials, I might copy the bead they're illustrating at first, but my goal is to come up with something totally different and take bits and pieces of what I've learned from the tutorial into my own design.

Patsy
Yes Killerbeedz you nailed it.
I also want to support someone who has been here posting often . Mary is the perfect example of someone who has always been willing to share her knowledge. Plus her tutorial are wonderful.
Old 2010-09-16, 1:27pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffroadglass View Post
I don't provide an advance materials list for my tutorials (at least I haven't so far) because I see the specific glasses and colors I use in a design as part of the proprietary information that people are paying for...
That makes sense, particularly since it's "materials"... I think maybe even stating the ballpark cost of undisclosed materials might be a good idea.

Tools, on the other hand...

I once purchased a tutorial whose author thought "dapping block and punches" and "disc cutter" were proprietary ("secret") information.

I won't buy a cheap disc cutter and so have not yet purchased one... making the tutorial 100% useless to me. (But I did get a refund so won't look at the tutorial even when I do get a disc cutter... that's only fair.)

Why the author felt she'd be giving all her secrets away by stating which tools were needed to make the bead caps is beyond me.

Silly me honestly thought I was going to learn how to make bead caps without those tools... which is why I bought the tutorial.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-09-16, 1:41pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffroadglass View Post
... I haven't had any complaints so far, but I would sure hope that if anyone found omissions or problems of any kind with my tutorials that they would do me the kindness of emailing me about those issues so that I could correct them.
When I first started selling my tutorials, I did get a few comments back and quickly made changes to details here and there for more clarity, etc.

One thing that helped, too, was to do a pilot run where I just gave the tutorial to x-number of people and asked them for review/feedback.

Old 2010-09-16, 2:43pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I think the idea of questionary about tutorials is great!
Old 2010-09-16, 9:16pm

Kim, in response to your comment about listing the glass, sure, I can understand your desire to not include the specific colours in a public list.

If, for future tuts, you ever get feedback that someone wants a materials list, maybe you could state that a variety of striking/reducing glass is required, along with glass that's readily available at time of publication?

I have both your tuts and love them. I've pre-ordered your other two and will love them too!

To everyone who writes tuts, I'd always do you the courtesy of letting you know if there was something amiss. A bit like telling someone their clothing tag is sticking out - it's a bit uncomfortable telling them, but they may appreciate it.

Marianne.
Old 2010-09-17, 12:40am
I like to melt things

As obvious from the responses in this post, a free critique of tutorials would never work on this site, it would have to be done through something like ISGB etc.

I do believe that the best way to collect and display critique information would be through standard review questionaire, similar to the type of thing one fills out at the end of term about their college professor where answers are statistically compiled together.

Edited to add that I just noticed that the above was already suggested a page back.

Last edited by glamgalglass; 2010-09-17 at 12:44am.
Old 2010-09-17, 5:54am

I have bought a few tuts and have a list a mile long that I want to buy in the near future. JMO but if I can just take one thing from each tut that helps me then it was money well spent. I respect anyone that will take the time to make them and to offer them to us. To share their knowledge (and that is what you are paying for) with us is worth more than money can buy.