Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-11-13, 3:02am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

I have to admit, that American Beauty is serious ugly. I have tried it in all manners, and even etched it. Something about blood that has separated in a test tube comes to mind - there is hints of serum mixed with venous blood about that glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-11-13, 2:33pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn's lampwork View Post
I can't stand CIM Ghee!!! I just think it's U-G-L-Y!!!

Sorry Ghee Lovers!!!
I LOVE Ghee! Ghee with DH Pinky Purple Lustre:

Do agree that American Beauty AIN'T a beauty!!!

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-11-13 at 2:37pm.
Old 2008-11-15, 9:05am

ok, so I was sorting out my glass desk today(I must be avoiding something?!) and I was sticking together a load of shorts and broken rods(dropped several on a concrete floor a week or 2 ago) now maybe it is just because I dropped it but my dirty martini was just so full of stress, I had frit allover my desk, I only wanted to stick it back together!! it also occured to me while I was sticking it together that I hadnt managed to make anything nice with it yet...

has anyone done anything nice with CIM dirty martini?? and is it normally so shocky?

Old 2008-11-15, 11:54pm
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelineBunyan View Post
ok, so I was sorting out my glass desk today(I must be avoiding something?!) and I was sticking together a load of shorts and broken rods(dropped several on a concrete floor a week or 2 ago) now maybe it is just because I dropped it but my dirty martini was just so full of stress, I had frit allover my desk, I only wanted to stick it back together!! it also occured to me while I was sticking it together that I hadnt managed to make anything nice with it yet...

has anyone done anything nice with CIM dirty martini?? and is it normally so shocky?
I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know. I love to torture a color I haven't tried yet! If anyone can shock glass, its me. I treat my soft glass just like its boro, no putzing about, straight into the flame...
Old 2008-11-16, 1:34am

haha have fun, all I got was mushy grey green and lots of frit!

Old 2008-11-16, 10:07am

ok you striking red and orange haters....

left to right : 1.orange striker over white with pixie dust in between, rembrandt stringer doodle,
2. orange striker white pixie dust etc, red striker doodle(honest its there!!)
3.red striker white pixie dust and rembrandt,
4. orange striker white pixie dust and er...grass green...oops, meant to pick up rembrandt!

me thinks they should be re-named striking dark red and striking light red!

Madeline

Old 2008-11-18, 12:32pm
The Crazy One

MadelineBunyan,

I'm sorry that I'm late with these pictures and my opinion of dirty martini.

I selected a large hole mandrel, because heat issues show up more easily when I use them. Lit the torch, a WildCat and shoved that dirty martini right into the flame, expecting pops and flying glass. As I stated earlier I treat soft glass like boro, to me shocky glass means more than 2 initial pops and no I do not remove the rod from the flame when it pops.

No pop at all! Ummm odd, but good... Gawd knows I don't need anymore confetti on my desk! Dirty Martini melted like a charm, no boiling, scumming or any of that other fun stuff that happens when I push a glass to its limits. In and out of the flame it went and was always polite, as in it cooled and heated evenly unlike some of the glass I use. Yee Haa a glass without a personality, I like it.

The color... Well, it reminds me of boring light copper green. By boring I mean there was no reduction, no metals coming to the surface and I like that in copper green,

I believe that your dirty martini my be stressed due to the drop. I have some moretti 272 that suffered a bad transport to me and is shocky, where I have never had this problem with any of the previous batches.

Here are some pictures, sorry they are sucky, but all of my pictures suck!

Old 2008-11-18, 2:10pm

ok, so it does sound like the drop. thanks for that!

still green mush though !I guess it will have its uses...cant think of any at this moment.

definitely no personality, unlike your dragon, he looks like hes just done something naughty and is pretending he hasnt...

thanks again!

Madeline

Old 2008-11-18, 10:05pm

What an AMAZINGLY COOL DRAGON!!!!!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-11-19, 1:08am
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelineBunyan View Post
ok, so it does sound like the drop. thanks for that!

still green mush though !I guess it will have its uses...cant think of any at this moment.

definitely no personality, unlike your dragon, he looks like hes just done something naughty and is pretending he hasnt...

thanks again!

Madeline
Wow, OK So even I, the two color bead person, can see that this would work wonderfully with numerous colors! Think EDP. Think browns (yummmmm). Think, well just think! I see possibilities and if I was in a color mode rather than a shape mode..... Well, this would be a go to color for me. Daymn, I can see it working with most every thing......... Crud now I wish I had more of it!
Old 2008-11-19, 1:52am

I guess I just dont do subtle shades...I tend to put together things like orange red and violet.

Madeline

Old 2008-11-19, 6:40am

I don't have any ('cause it's new...and CIM...and I've pretty much just got the "original CIM sampler stupid budget!) but it looks to me like a "non-reactive" base color...I can see it as useful
Wonder how it would be under silver-glasses....

Sure makes those BLUE eyes stand out!

I've got plenty of *unused* yellows & oranges...about the only "orange" I'm in love with is anything #420...love, love, love that coral! My brighter yellows & oranges tend to come out only when I need them for "rainbows"...kinda pathetic...

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-11-19, 12:42pm

omg that dragon is amazing LOCO!!

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2008-11-23, 8:49am

Oh I just came back to this thread and thankyou Kimberly you are always so kind to everyone. What a great inspriation you are to lampworking.
Old 2008-12-26, 1:04pm
Formerly furrybert

Madeline, if you're still looking for something to do with CIM dirty martini, it looks really nice teamed up with CIM Leaky Pen.

You can get some lovely examples if you search for "dirty martini" on Kandice's blog http://coloraddictionblog.blogspot.com Hope this helps

::

Old 2008-12-27, 3:27am

hmm...sounds like fun, thanks!

Old 2008-12-28, 11:01am
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
I'm on a HotHead and they still don't work for me, I don't think heat's the only issue...
I'm on a hothead and I love them although I can't tell the alabastros from the opalinos, here is a photo of a couple of them, I posted this on another thread but can't remember which one.

Janet

Old 2009-01-18, 12:39am
Insomniac Beader

Default Ugly

Anything ochre is yucky. Just not my palette—too dank.
Old 2009-01-21, 4:28pm
Likes to melt stuff...

I loath effetre's avocado. The 1/2 pound I bought was used for centers of beads made with DH glass so I could conserve the expensive stuff and get rid of the offending color!
Old 2009-01-21, 4:35pm

I detest effetre dark turquoise.. it bubbles, burns, pits and is just plain useless.. so can anyone please tell me why, in my last two glass orders, I have mistakenly ordered 1/4 kilo of the damn stuff... so now I have 1/2 kilo of the damn stuff and no light turquoise !!!

Old 2009-02-02, 8:56am
I like to melt things

It's incredible how different everyone's taste can be. I love ochre, dark turquoise AND avocado.

I still totally loathe bright lemon yellows and cobalt blues though. I just can't seem to warm up to those colours no matter how hard I try.

-
-
Old 2009-02-07, 8:32am
Born on date: 11/3/09!

Amen to that! Honey Crunch is deceiving. It has this lovely honey amber look to it, but when it melts it looks just like ivory.. And I hate how some of the Vetro odd lots just break off in huge chunks. Grrrrr.

I do love opaque avacado. LOVE it! There were a few others mentioned that I like too. That bloody water color sounds disgusting. I'll tell you what I do with my coral because if I use it plain it's so gross. I cover it with silver foil like I would ivory (for that organic look) and then try different frits with it. Some of the opaque light or bright colored frits seem to work very well. Maybe give that a shot for all ye who hate opaque corals. Has such an awesome silvery organic look.

I love the ochers. Also plays nice with many frits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
Honey Crunch - if I wanted something that looked like ivory, I'd buy ivory, not an imitation that chunks onto my work surface in 1" pieces... I keep using up shorts of it not to waste it, but I'll probably ignore the rods for a while.

Not an huge fan of EDP, but it also doesn't like me.

Pineapple Sparkle is nice - I mean, it's no translucent yellow, but...

The little love of my life...
Old 2011-06-16, 12:30pm
I fart diamonds

bump

Old 2011-06-16, 2:52pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Thanks Shawnette... okay reposted from the bathroom thread that you won't be able to see after today:

Regarding Vetrofond V460 wasabi/baby poo/ochre yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspiggy
WOW.. Good thing I asked. I was gonna get some.. In fact, I should take it out of cart right now...
And my reply to misspiggy:
You should try it! I love it... but I also like the Effetre ochre yellow too.
I thought I would hate them both till Stephanie Sersich came and taught a class, then Dustin Tabor (they both have very similar color palettes)...

Old 2011-06-16, 5:13pm

I was seriously disappointed with Calico. It would have made wonderful critters if it weren't for the devit factor. It can make interesting round beads... But I make stuff with eyes.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2011-06-16, 5:16pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I got a 1/4# of that to play with from Mike when went to Glass Craft Expo... I haven't tried it yet... now I'm worried. Plus, I'm really not sure what to do with an opal yellow/edp combo... stumped is more like it

Old 2011-06-16, 5:27pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Sedona - I want it to stay the beautiful color it is when it's hot. It goes very brownie-brownerson when it cools and makes me sad.

Calico - seriously, WTF? Who likes this color? It's the worst devitting color I've ever tried PLUS it's a weird combination of neutrals (good) and purple/pink/orange where it ought not to be. It sounds good but, trust me, it isn't.

Lemongrass seems like it would be fantastic but makes the darker beads than black, even when I use it to encase white. I can use it as stringer and it has some color so I know it has potential. Anyone have any suggestions?

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-06-16, 5:29pm

Lemongrass makes awesome dinos. Rawr.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater

I never tried Sedona. I'm ok with that.

Calico has some interesting effects that in no way relate to my style of beads. Bummer.

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2011-06-16, 5:35pm
I fart diamonds

And then I said :

I love baby poo (Vet 460) and Fish Pink! When I gave up 104, the 460 is one of the colors that I kept. LOVE it! Perfect "witch skin"!

Old 2011-06-16, 5:40pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Shawnette, you crack me up. That's great!