Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-06-03, 2:48pm
Cake for me too please

Default Rckeyes Wavey Beads

I am a newbie and this is my first question posted. Anyone know how he makes these beautiful beads?? (Rob, are you out there? Care to share?)
I can't even wrap my mind around how this is done. The depth and waves of glass are phenomenal. I know it is done in boro but is it property of that glass or a technique? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 2008-06-03, 3:40pm

I did these in soft glass (Kronos). Build a disc bead of colour, then put 4 blobs of clear on one side of the disc, and 4 blobs on the other, between the ones on the first side. Melt it in, and you have a wavy bead. It's fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-06-03, 3:45pm
Just me

Mary those kick butt! Love 'em.
Here's a tut Chad did. I made one using this tut and it turned out pretty good the first time. Haven't done one since, so many bead techniques so little time...
http://www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials/wave.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2008-06-03 at 3:50pm.
Old 2008-06-03, 3:57pm

Thanks Bubby!

Old 2008-06-03, 4:59pm
Bead Imp

Gigi - Hi neighbor! I'm in Little Rock!

Bubby - thanks for sharing! I'm trying this tonight!

Old 2008-06-03, 6:53pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I have got to try that tomorrow. Vicki, if you and Gigi hear someone just south of you holler really loud, you'll know that this Louisiana woman actually made one of those gorgeous beads!!!
Old 2008-06-04, 9:11am
Cake for me too please

Mary and Bubby thanks so much. I can't wait to try your suggestion. I tried on my own last night but not so great. just a big blob. Bad color choices i think.

Vicki Hello back at you. Nice to say someone local on the boards. And hello Tillie. We will keep our ears open.
Old 2008-06-04, 10:38am
Just me

Okay I found an old pic of the only bead I've made with Chad's tutorial. (I think I may do more having seen Mary's cool beads!)
On my bead the disk was 4 or 5 different colors wound on a tiny black base bead. Each color was wound on in one, kind of thick, wrap. I also encased it, after it was melted down, to exagerate and pull the wave closer to the bead hole. This was a really big bead and unfortunately I don't have it any more, my sister claimed it.

Old 2008-06-04, 12:42pm
Cake for me too please

oh Bubby VERY pretty. I am itching to go home and try. Come on 5 o'clock...
Old 2008-06-04, 5:47pm
Glassy Broad :-)

WHOOO HOOO I did it, LOL! Not once but twice in a row even.
That by far has been one of the easiest tut's on this bead I'd ever seen...and it sure worked for me! I'll post tomorrow after they are out of the kiln...thanks so MUCH!
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2008-06-05, 9:11am
Valparaíso - Chile

Thanks so much Bubby!
Old 2008-06-05, 9:51am

Nita!
I might have known I'd find you here~

These tuts look really fun, can hardly wait to try it,
Thanks everyone for sharing and inspiring!
Old 2008-06-05, 10:20am
Just me

I tried to make a couple wave beads yesterday. It didn't go so well, I don't think my clear dots were large enough on the disk and they got lost. The other bead I used effetre and got some lovely scum.
I am finding this to be a little more difficult with my piranha because you have to melt it down slowly.
The bead I posted above was done when I was using my HH. I'll be trying it again today if the baby cooperates.

To those who thanked me, you are most welcome. I was happy to be able to point you to Chad's tutorial, he's the one who deserves the thanks for sharing his knowledge, I just passed it on.
He's got a few other great tutorials if you want to check them out.
http://www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials/

One day I want to try the vortex marble. It looks cool!

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2008-06-05 at 3:38pm.
Old 2008-06-05, 12:20pm
Cake for me too please

Bubby,
we are in the same boat. My attempt last night didn't go so well either. I used 3 diffrent shades of transparent and all I got was a big blob of blue. I am going to try again tonight when I am not so frustrated.
Old 2008-06-05, 1:06pm
Professional glob maker!

I tried this last night and for the first one, (of many more) I think it came out pretty good. I used 4 different colors and I could see all of them!! Thank you so much for posting this and giving me the opportunity to learn more!!
Old 2008-06-05, 5:36pm

Hi Seedbeads!! Of course I knew I'd see you here too!! LOL!!
I made 2 of these yesterday, and I didn't have enough clear dots on the side, so they came out a bit different, but that's not always wrong correct? ( I almost said "right?" but knew I'd get into trouble that way!) The picture is crappy but forgive me that, these are way fun to do! The ones I made today are smaller, and MUCH better, those I'll post tomorrow...thanks again for the link!!
Nita

Old 2008-06-05, 6:24pm

Man, How did I miss this?

GiGiC,
Chads tut above pretty much explains the technique. I however do not make a base bead first. I build a disk anywhere from 1/2 inch to an inch from the mandrel then I place fairly large clear dots on one side at 12, 3, 6, and 9 oclock. On the other side I place 4 clear dots in-between the dots on the other side. The trick is to gets the dots big enough and to keep them fairly the same size.
Nita's beads above look like the dots were not big enough and therefore did not reach all the way across the bead when it got melted in.
Nita,
Forgive me for the cratique?

My kiln has been down for almost a week and a half but its up and running like a champ now. I`ll see if I can take some pics of each stage in the next couple of days and I`ll post them up here.

Old 2008-06-06, 10:16am
Cake for me too please

Default Thanks Rob!

Oh Rob, that would be fantastic!!! I would love step by step pics. I am still not getting the right results. (Mind you I have only been torching for a few months but I do PPP.) My second attempt yesterday was much better than the first and I believe my clear dots were inconsistant. Thanks again.
Old 2008-06-06, 1:58pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Awsome Thread. I was also wondering but figured it was just "Boro". I will have to give this a try tonight and make a few. So are there some colors that work better than others?
Michelle
www.sundoorbeads.com
Old 2008-06-06, 9:07pm

You can see here some I did with Terra.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-06-07, 11:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckeyes View Post
Man, How did I miss this?

GiGiC,
Chads tut above pretty much explains the technique. I however do not make a base bead first. I build a disk anywhere from 1/2 inch to an inch from the mandrel then I place fairly large clear dots on one side at 12, 3, 6, and 9 oclock. On the other side I place 4 clear dots in-between the dots on the other side. The trick is to gets the dots big enough and to keep them fairly the same size.
Nita's beads above look like the dots were not big enough and therefore did not reach all the way across the bead when it got melted in.
Nita,
Forgive me for the cratique?

My kiln has been down for almost a week and a half but its up and running like a champ now. I`ll see if I can take some pics of each stage in the next couple of days and I`ll post them up here.
Absolutely no problem!!! It's all a matter of learning, and I LOVE to learn, as a matter of fact, I have to get outta here and get my rear in gear LOL!! ok, bigger dots, I CAN do that, I'll be baaack
Nita

Old 2008-06-08, 1:03pm
Molten Glass Addict

Hi everyone, I'm a little confused on who you're getting all the color layers. Are you layering the center ring with different colors? Or is it the type of glass you're using?

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2008-06-08, 2:46pm
Professional glob maker!

The disk that you make on the center of the bead, that is where the colors are coming from. For instance, I did a 4th of July wavey bead so I started with a small base bead of black then started my disk with a red strip, then white on top of red, then blue on top of white. Then I did another red then white then blue and added my dots of clear and melted!! When it melts, it sorta folds the disk to one side and the other so you can see all the different colors that were laid in the disk! Did that help any Jamie??
Old 2008-06-08, 6:43pm

On mine the Terra created all the colors itself. Just one color used, Terra, and the clear of course.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-06-10, 1:30am

Jamie,
I make twisties with sometimes up to 5 colors. for example the set that GiGic posted above was made with a twisty that had 4 different colors in it. Its a really good way to use up some of your short rods.

Old 2008-06-10, 1:39pm

Ok, decided to try this. Took me two beads of using a clear wrap with colored dots on the sides to remember it was the other way around, color wrap with clear dots!!! It was such a "duh" moment! No wonder these were looking kind of weird...

Ana
Old 2008-06-10, 6:55pm
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armstrong View Post
Ok, decided to try this. Took me two beads of using a clear wrap with colored dots on the sides to remember it was the other way around, color wrap with clear dots!!! It was such a "duh" moment! No wonder these were looking kind of weird...

Ana
Pics!! We still want pics!
Old 2008-06-10, 7:49pm

Come on people wheres all the pics????
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-10, 9:01pm
Noobie

Show Off!!

Those are really awesome.

Do you encase your beads after you melt everything in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckeyes View Post
Come on people wheres all the pics????
Old 2008-06-11, 10:28am
Molten Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscause View Post
The disk that you make on the center of the bead, that is where the colors are coming from. For instance, I did a 4th of July wavey bead so I started with a small base bead of black then started my disk with a red strip, then white on top of red, then blue on top of white. Then I did another red then white then blue and added my dots of clear and melted!! When it melts, it sorta folds the disk to one side and the other so you can see all the different colors that were laid in the disk! Did that help any Jamie??

Oh, yes, thanks, that does make sense. I did go make one, and it turned out ok. I'll have to practice more.

The first one I used that blue that turns metallic, forgot the name of it, and it burned the clear horribly. Won't be using that again.

You guys are so helpful. I'll have to try again!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie