No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-08-19, 12:33pm
Missing presumed fed

Default Window/ventilation question

I'm getting new windows for my torching area. The window openings are the sort of half-size rectangular basement windows. I was planning on getting vinyl sliders, but am open to other suggestions.

Ideally, I would like to have normal windows put in, rather than build in a permanently installed ventilation system. Then I would open the window and stick in a board or something with the vent in it. Right now, I have a board nailed in to the extremely crappy wooden window frame that I'll be replacing. When I get the new windows, I'd rather not nail something in to the brand-new window frame. So, I'd appreciate any suggestions on what material to use to hold the vent (plywood? Some sort of foam board? Something else?), how to attach the vent to the material, and -- most important -- how to attach the material/board securely to the window opening without doing too much damage to the window. I'm figuring I'll need a minimum of an 8-inch vent opening, with 10-inch being preferable. I'll be running duct to it. Unfortunately, the windows aren't appropriately situated for using a box fan in the window.

Also, if there's a type of window that might work better for this than a slider, please let me know.

I'm in Pennsylvania, so keeping the cold out is an issue. The room doesn't get enough natural light to make preserving light an issue.
Old 2013-08-19, 5:13pm
Slogan Challenged...

Shawnette had a neat setup, I think she showed it on her blog as well. I think it was some kind of foam board, but she might have been looking at changing that.

Here we go: http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242911

HTH

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2013-08-19 at 5:32pm.
Old 2013-08-19, 6:32pm
Dichro Addict

This isn't the best photo and yes that's flexible ducting, but I think it's a great way to use a window. The board overlaps the window frame on the left and right (also some weather stripping) and there is a lip on the window frame (arrow) that holds the particle board in place when you pull the window closed on top of the board. I hope that makes sense. This is 10 inch ducting, I believe. A friend cut the hole out of the board and cut the board to size. So I open the window, put the board in, and close the window down tight on top of the board. When I'm done, crack the window a bit, pull out the board and close the window. Easy peasy, no permanent damage.

Last edited by lenora; 2013-08-19 at 6:39pm.
Old 2013-08-19, 9:20pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post

Ideally, I would like to have normal windows put in, rather than build in a permanently installed ventilation system.

I'm in Pennsylvania, so keeping the cold out is an issue. The room doesn't get enough natural light to make preserving light an issue.
These two things do not go well together.....A permanent system with air brought in to the underside of the work bench would be the best for a cold climate and the health of your lungs IMHO.
Old 2013-08-20, 3:16am
kinda torching....

Home depot sells plastic cardboard in the back with the lexan glass sheeting, easy to cut and also easy install for each session. We have it on the bottom of our screen door because of the animals
Old 2013-08-29, 10:55am
Missing presumed fed

Sorry, it seems like I wasn't clear in what I wanted. I'm just looking for a way to fix a board or something with a duct in it without damaging my windows, so if I move or, heaven forbid, give up lampworking, I'll have normal windows instead of ones that are beat up from having a ventilation system attached to them. I'm not thinking of something that I would set up and take down for every torching session. I don't want to put screws or nails into the window frames. Will just fitting a board or something into the window opening and duct-taping it (or caulking?) work?

I do have two windows in the room, so I can use one for exhaust and one for make-up air (it would involve running some duct outside, so the intake is far enough from the exhaust, but I think it's doable.)
Old 2013-08-29, 10:59am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Sorry, it seems like I wasn't clear in what I wanted. I'm just looking for a way to fix a board or something with a duct in it without damaging my windows, so if I move or, heaven forbid, give up lampworking, I'll have normal windows instead of ones that are beat up from having a ventilation system attached to them. I'm not thinking of something that I would set up and take down for every torching session. I don't want to put screws or nails into the window frames. Will just fitting a board or something into the window opening and duct-taping it (or caulking?) work?

I do have two windows in the room, so I can use one for exhaust and one for make-up air (it would involve running some duct outside, so the intake is far enough from the exhaust, but I think it's doable.)
I don't take mine out. I can, but I don't.

Old 2013-08-29, 5:13pm
Alaska Boro

If you have a casement style of window then this is an option. When not in use the outside window can be closed as the frame fits into the window on the inside. The glass could be replaced by plywood, but it is nice to have a functional window.

To remove, peal off the sealing tape on the outside and remove 4 wood screws.