AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-05-21, 4:30pm

Default Precision 104 Silver Glass

I boosted most of this online and compiled it for all of us. It may be listed elsewhere, but I thought I'd share...

Precision 104 Technical Tips*

Kandinsky

REDUCE THE HECK OUT OF IT! Trick: The copper color burns off easily, so you need to reduce and pull out of the flame. You can wave it around to keep it hot, but don't burn it all off. Keep it out of the flame. Encase. Reacts well with copper green, intense black and ivory.

Picasso Silver Blue

Likes a lot of reduction heat but don't overdo it.....Just roll it around in the flame until the haze appears. Let it cool a bit, and then go back to a neutral flame. Reduce multiple times and tease the colors out at the back of the flame several times. The more times you do this, the better the color.

Da Vinci Double Amber Purple

Work it VERY HOT until it is transparent on the surface. Then cool and watch it begin to turn dark orange or brown. Depending on if and when you encase it, you will get different colors. If you encase it soon after it begins to darken, you will get blues and greens. If you let the dark brown really develop before you encase, you will get more blues and magentas. Depending on how you treat it after you encase, or not, you may get pinks, rose, lavenders, and creams. But you have to get it pretty hot to begin with . Use in a very neutral flame.

Rembrandt

Work this color in a neutral to oxidizing flame. After final shaping and details are complete, reduce in a soft fluffy flame. This will bring out lots of metallic and lustrous colors. Don't over reduce unless that is the color you are looking for. This is ABE Fleishman's (The creator of ALL Precicion 104 colors) favorite color because of the wild colors you can achieve.

Da Vinci Transparent

Use a neutral oxidizing flame when you are ready for final color development. Reduce multiple times at the back of the flame. The more frequently you do this, the better the color. Want to bring the silver to the surface? Use a more reducing flame.

Black Pearl

A light reduction is all that is needed to get the amazing colors to pop. Turn down your oxygen slightly until you have a small, bushy flame. Pass in and out of the flame until your achieve the desired results. Cool a bit then continue in a neutral flame.

Rocio Silver Mist

Use a neutral oxidizing flame when you are ready for final color development. Reduce multiple time and tease the colors out at the back of the flame, several times. The more times you do this, the better the color.

Shasha's Silver

Work in a neutral to oxidizing flame. This color is really easy to get results from. Heat hot and after shaping, reduce in an out of the flame to get the desired color effect. This color will produce heavy metallic and lustrous tones.

Van Gogh

Work VERY HOT until it is transparent on the surface. Then cool and watch it begin to turn dark orange or brown. Depending on if and when you encase it, you will get different colors. If you encase it soon after it begins to darken, you will get blues and greens. If you let the dark brown really develop before you encase, you will get more blues and magentas. Depending on how you treat it after you encase, or not, you may get pinks, rose, lavenders, and creams. But you have to get it pretty hot to begin with . Use in a very neutral flame.

Matisse Red Exotic

REDUCE THE HECK OUT OF IT! Trick: The copper color burns off easily, so you need to reduce and pull out of the flame. You can wave it around to keep it hot, but don't burn it all off. Keep it out of the flame. Encase. Reacts well with copper green, intense black and ivory.

Garzoni Giovanna

Use a neutral flame when first melting. When you are ready for final color development, reduce multiple times and tease the colors out at the back of the flame. The more frequently you repeat this, the better the color. Use a little heavier reduction flame to bring the silver to the surface.

*(credit to Flame Kissed Glass for the tech tips)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2010-05-22, 8:49am

Thankyou for doing this,Melodie. Some of these have been out so long one forgets.
Old 2010-06-06, 7:21pm

Melodie,
Thank you for posting the precision 104 tips, very useful info.
Connie
Old 2010-06-17, 2:18pm

Hi Melodie,
Do you have any encasing tips for this glass? I'm using Lauscha with the Picasso and am getting a lot of cracking. Any help would be much appreciated! thanks, beata
Old 2010-06-19, 5:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabasan View Post
Hi Melodie,
Do you have any encasing tips for this glass? I'm using Lauscha with the Picasso and am getting a lot of cracking. Any help would be much appreciated! thanks, beata

I think people have mentioned that Lauscha doesn't play nice sometimes with silver glasses and in the past there seemed to be problems with a bad batch of Lauscha that caused cracking (but it may have been with all glass, rather than just silver. I can't remember.)

I've started using Reichenbach Crystal and really like it and when I want something less stiff I use the Effetre Super Clear.
Old 2010-06-19, 6:34am

thanks loads for the quick response! I'll try another clear today, though I don't believe I have the Reichenbach or the super clear. I'll go shopping for those next week
Old 2010-07-08, 9:55am

Thanks so much Melodie! I wonder if you'd mind doing the same thing with Double Helix glass? Seems they are all so different, and I always seem to get different results with the same glass. I would like to understand DH a little better.
Old 2010-07-08, 10:06am
Cat Winx

Melodie.. what a wonderful thing you've taken the time to do here for us.. thank you so much! :}

~Rachel Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-09, 1:34am
"Twirl that Honey round".

I printed a copy off to keep close to the torch. All the glasses have their own little subroutines they like to get the best out of them. Thanks for compiling this! TIM
Old 2010-07-09, 3:35am
BeadsonCypress

Thank you, thank you thank you.
2 years ago I bought some these very glasses and have store them away afraid to use them (expensive you know!)
Now maybe I can try a bit and see what happens!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-11-13, 6:12pm
Ishum Designs

Default Monet??

Any tips on Monet Silver Amethyst? Is this a newer Precision 104 color or has Rembrandt been renamed or what?
Old 2010-11-13, 7:33pm
Lover of all things color

I can add an interesting little tip for Black Pearl. After you reduce the glass put some clear dots on it, melt them in....they will be black but when you reduce again you will have this really cool turquoise ring around each clear dot you put on. It's a really interesting look for something different.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2011-01-02, 12:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolrex View Post
Any tips on Monet Silver Amethyst? Is this a newer Precision 104 color or has Rembrandt been renamed or what?
Sorry, I haven't played with this glass color yet. I posted somewhere else that i just "discovered" how marvelous White Lotus is with the precision glasses, though. Really amazing color reactions!! Try it as your base, reduce, and be amazed at what you can get!!

Old 2011-01-02, 12:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracedorsey View Post
Thanks so much Melodie! I wonder if you'd mind doing the same thing with Double Helix glass? Seems they are all so different, and I always seem to get different results with the same glass. I would like to understand DH a little better.
I think Hayley has already done a pretty fabuous and knowledgeable job with the Double Helix glasses. check the tips and techniques forum, I know there is an existing thread.

Old 2011-01-02, 4:41pm
Glass & Parrots = Heaven

Wow! I was looking for this information last night.
Thanks!

Best Bud Cosmo - Eclectus Parrot
Old 2014-05-06, 7:03am

any links to instructions on other silver glasses and makers?

_
Old 2014-05-06, 2:22pm

Thank you so much! I have wasted $$$ trying to figure that glass out. This is a huge help.

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2014-05-06, 8:20pm

DH and TAG both have information on their websites.