Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2019-06-29, 12:31pm

Default Garage ventilation for boro

Hi everyone! I知 brand new here and brand new to lampworkijg. Please forgive me if any of my questions are repeats.

I知 going to be setting up a national 8m with a 21-sm tip to work on small borosilicate projects in my garage. I知 curious about a couple things: first is ventilation. I致e attached a couple pics of the work area. I知 going to be keeping the garage door half open and there is a small window that will be open as well. Can I put a fan with a high cfm between the table and the window and will that be adequate as long as the door is open? Or should I have the table pointing toward the door? I don稚 think I知 going to be able to set up one of those metal hoods anytime soon...

also, as you can see there is a water heater in the garage. The propane and oxy tanks will be chained to the opposite wall. Will there be any safety issues with the water heater?

Thanks for any help!! Glad to be starting melting glass and to be a member of LE!!!
Attached Images

Old 2019-11-10, 11:47am

hello
thought a reply is in order due the fact I am currently running an 8M w/a 21sm (+other)tip on small 6-10mm tube/rod(+other) In a garage. I was able to get my hands on these round smoke bombs and when I was only opening the door part way and window all the way the smoke did clear sufficiently. this led me building a full fume hat has an 480 cfm on the top a smaller squirrel cage attached to a snorkel vent. It has been well worth the time and cash for the peace of mind. using some kind of smoke generator to check the air flow and how currents move (or don't move) in your work place is a very important part of safety while setting up your spot. I have since made my own smoke bombs using online information to check my ventilation from time to time. I get a real sense of satisfaction when I see the rate the at which the smoke clears and exact path it takes. much better than with the door open all the way (which. wouldn't work for me anyway). I found enough info on line to make to construct my fume hood and snorkel. It's been in use for 3 years and I've upgraded twice and replaced the fan for the snorkel tube once. The fan main fan has been running continuously (except during the upgrades and cleaning)for all 3 years. I know you mentioned that you wont be installing a fume hood but I want to encourage you to reconsider that decision. I would be happy to help with further info/pictures if interested. LMK