Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2013-05-07, 9:31am
Gay rights R human rights

Default At my wits end...

Not a personal crisis, but a technical one....

I am trying to edit some photos for the Lark book submission. The requirements say that the file has to be between 1-5 MB in size. It also gives the dpi and pixel requirements.

I can edit to to the dpi and pixel numbers but I cannot get the file size right.

The uncropped photo at 180 dpi is 4.44 MB in size. Great! I up the resolution to 300 dpi and crop the photo. its down to 656 kb. If I crop it less, (so the pic is bigger), the size goes down? WTF?

Can anyone give me any tips.

I am shooting in macro mode. Superfine pic quality and large file size. I have a Canon G10.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2013-05-07, 5:44pm
Gentleman of Leisure

What format are you using.....GIF, JPG, RAW...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-05-07, 5:56pm

Are you resizing the image after you crop it? If you aren't then the file size will go down because your image is now smaller from the crop. Even if you put the image size back to a bigger size, you have still cropped off information and as long as the DPI stays the same, the file size should go down. How are they going to view the image? Are they going to print it out or view it on screen? Depending on how they view it, you may be able to reduce it to 270 DPI and still retain the printable quality. Unless they specify 300 DPI to match their printer.

Mike
Old 2013-05-07, 8:55pm

ok good information. was shooting as jpeg; also shot in raw. raw files are too big...lol
Damn, these requirements are a PITA

Old 2013-05-07, 9:56pm

yay its working. Thanks guys

Old 2013-05-07, 9:56pm

Typically you can choose to resample an image (change the # of pixels by interpolation) or not. If you are NOT resampling the image resolution and size are tied together, which is the same as saying that the # of pixels are maintained.

So if you have a file that is 1" by 1" at 300 dpi and you change the size to 2" by 2" you will half the resolution to 150 dpi. Both images have the same number of pixels

Take the same image 1" x 1" image @ 300 dpi and reduce the size to 1/2" x 1/2" and you will increase the resolution to 600 dpi - again, the same # of pixels

If you resample the image using your imaging software you're essentially asking the computer to separate the image into groups of pixels and then compare them to each other to come up with an average to create new pixels inbetween (one method is bi-cubic interpolation)

It's not clear when you say you're upping the resolution whether you're resampling or not.

The small size can be either because you're cropping to a small portion of the image or could be a result of the file type you're saving to which may be using compression to reduce the file size. Formats like jpeg can reduce file sizes dramatically depending on the image complexity. Assuming you maintained the 4.44 MB file size of the original image your file could be as small as 90 KB.

In a program like Photoshop you can use the image size command to see what the actual size and resolution are. So the effective resolution of the image (the actual # of pixels) and the resulting file size may not seem to match because of the file type you're saving to. If you want to see the actual file size save it in an uncompressed format like tiff.
Old 2013-05-09, 8:35am
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggybubba View Post
ok good information. was shooting as jpeg; also shot in raw. raw files are too big...lol
Damn, these requirements are a PITA
Work with a copy of the RAW or TIFF file as much as possible then on your final save convert it to JPEG. RAW/TIFF files, if compressed, use a loss less compression, JPEG is a lossy compression. In other words to make the file smaller the JPEG algorithms throw repeated data away, when displaying the image it calculates what the missing information should be.

ETA:
See the link below for a better explanation and demonstration of JPEG artifacts.

Last edited by Dragonharper; 2013-05-09 at 8:38am.
Old 2013-05-09, 5:34pm

You can open and save a jpeg a bunch of times before you start noticing any loss or it affects viewing or print quality. I have always used a complete raw work flow (even when shooting snapshots or test shots), but it's not something that everyone has the time, knowledge, equipment or money to deal with. Back before disk drives got so cheap I was running about 4 terebytes to store all of my raw files, plus the inital tif file plus all of the edits and the final jpegs. About the only time I switched to high quality jpegs on my camera was when I wanted to be able to shoot large number of frames at 8 fps. Shooting in raw only gave me 18 frames before my buffer filled up but I could shoot in jpeg until my 2 memory cards filled up. It was much cheaper than when I shot through a 36 exp roll of film the same way.

Raw is good for production work or when you are shooting in marginal lighting conditions or one the widest possible range between highlights and shadows, but for most people, if you have decent light it isn't really necessary.

Mike