Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-03-03, 12:14pm

Question Super Newbie at Boro

I know this is probably up here somewhere but I'm so lost. I'm about to try boro out and I don't know how to set my kiln. Can I only work with one color a day? because of the different temperatures the kiln needs to be set at and the different holding times? I know there are newbie tutorials, are there any really helpful simple beads I can do? Please help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

# M 114
Old 2008-03-03, 12:17pm
ManBearPig

Different colors don't require different kiln temps. They all anneal at 1050.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-03-03, 12:22pm

Ok so I just find an annealing schedule for boro. What does it mean by kiln striking at different temps then?

# M 114
Old 2008-03-03, 2:16pm
Boro Brat

That's to develop color. You can also do this in the flame. Try making a simple bead by laying down a couple wraps of a silver color, rolling in clear frit (or dotting clear on if you don't have frit), melting in, then encasing by making a couple big wraps of clear around the outside and melting in. Once you have it all shaped, let the bead cool off until there is no glow at all (hold under the workbench to check). Then bring it into the far reaches of the flame, rotating all the time. Bring it in toward the flame until the heat starts to make the slightest bit of glow. Try to keep that dull red glow going for a few seconds and then pull out. You should have some color coming through now. Repeat until you like the color I hope this helps a bit!

Old 2008-03-03, 4:40pm

Thank you! I watched a video and it kept saying all diff temps to anneal it at. Boro newbie got all confused lol. I tried to do some boro on my minor and it melts sooo slow. Is that normal? I had my oxygen up to 10LPM

# M 114
Old 2008-03-04, 6:13am
Mandrel Slayer

It is normal especially with a concentrator. That said, many beadmakers work boro with a minor or Mini CC. I use the Mini cc part of my torch most of the time.

Micaela -- if you want to come to my house on a weekend, I can show what Pipyr is talking about.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.

Last edited by playingwithfirebeads; 2008-03-04 at 6:16am. Reason: typo
Old 2008-03-04, 6:38am

Cool! That would be great Bonny. We'll have to set a date!

# M 114