Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2010-07-28, 12:12am

Default Mike Frantz - Please Vetrofond light Ivory

Mike
Can you give an update on Light Ivory from Vetrofond?
Will be available again?
And do you know when?
Thank You
Pattie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-28, 6:01am

Quote:
Mike
Can you give an update on Light Ivory from Vetrofond?
Will be available again?
And do you know when?
Thank You
Pattie
At this moment there is ivory at the factory, but not enough glass to fill a container, so I just have to decide to bring in a partial container and have a very expensive shipment with a container being half full. I am in NY at ISGB but will contact my office and look at how to get it shipped.

MIke

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2010-07-28, 6:27am
Queen Bee

Looks like Arrow Spings has it -

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2010-07-28, 6:59am

NOOOOOOOOOOO..AS does not have it..lol..I tried buying 5 lbs of each..they have not had it for a year and have not updated their Vetrofond list.I ordered 5 colors on that sale page and they only had one color.I told them they should update it..don't know why they don't.
"

Old 2010-07-28, 11:22am

Thanks for the update Mike.

Old 2010-07-28, 12:48pm

Quote:
At this moment there is ivory at the factory, but not enough glass to fill a container, so I just have to decide to bring in a partial container and have a very expensive shipment with a container being half full. I am in NY at ISGB but will contact my office and look at how to get it shipped.

MIke
Mike have you considered using one of their (fedex) kind of shipments?
I do that sometimes with Lauscha and it takes maybe a week to get here (if that) and the shipping is amazingly cheap! I could let you know what Courier they use with me....

Old 2010-07-28, 12:48pm

PS...when you do it this way you don't even have to go through customs
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
They have their own!

Old 2010-07-28, 2:54pm
PyronamixK

It goes through customs, it's just that the courier acts as your customs agent - and they charge you for it. It might be that the factory does not want to ship out this way and not necessarily that Mike hasn't tried.
Old 2010-07-28, 3:37pm

So, is it that they are not making it anymore hence the remainder cannot fill a container? This has been unavailable for over a year as far as I can tell. Just curious. I have never seen this happen with other colors.

Quote:

MIke

Old 2010-07-28, 8:52pm

Default light ivory

I have contacted Vetrofond and asked them to ship my order before they go on vacation, if it is not too late, it should arrive in Shelton the end of September early October.

Mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2010-07-29, 12:12am
The one, the only

If anyone is interested, we have a good amount of Vetrofond Ivory (both light and dark) in stock. Here's our website :
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
-
Old 2010-07-29, 5:34am
Queen Bee

Just wondering the differrence in Vetro vs Moretti light ivory?

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2010-07-29, 8:52am

The Effetre Light Ivory is more reactive then the Vetrofond Pastel Ivory. I like the Vetro for making faces because it does not react when adding it to itself. The Effetre leaves ring marks when added to itself.

Quote:
Just wondering the differrence in Vetro vs Moretti light ivory?

Old 2010-07-29, 9:04am
Melting

Quote:
The Effetre Light Ivory is more reactive then the Vetrofond Pastel Ivory. I like the Vetro for making faces because it does not react when adding it to itself. The Effetre leaves ring marks when added to itself.
Does this apply to the Vetro dk ivory as well?

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-07-29, 10:10am

I don't know. I rarely use the dark ivories.

Old 2010-07-29, 10:21pm

Default Vetrofond Ivory on its way

My shipment from Vetrofond with Ivory is on its way.'

mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2010-07-30, 1:59am

Thank You so Much!

Old 2010-08-15, 5:41pm
I'm not Barbie.

Please update this thread when the shipment comes in Mike. Thanks.
Old 2010-08-16, 11:20am

Default Vetrofond Shipment on the Big Pond

Quote:
Please update this thread when the shipment comes in Mike. Thanks.
Our Vetrofond shipment is on the high seas and has another 5 weeks before it arrives. I will keep this thread updated as arrival gets closer

mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2010-08-16, 11:23am
I'm not Barbie.

THX Mike!
Old 2010-08-21, 10:47am
I speak Murrini!

Watching...watching...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-08-21, 2:18pm

Oh my, I can't wait!
Old 2010-08-21, 2:35pm
Frustrated Artist

I have a bunch of different ivories in the studio but I do not know which is which. If someoen wants to post a picture I might be able to help some people out with some of each.
Let me know.
D

Old 2010-08-22, 1:45am
Naysayer

Quote:
So, is it that they are not making it anymore hence the remainder cannot fill a container? This has been unavailable for over a year as far as I can tell. Just curious. I have never seen this happen with other colors.
Ok but this never got answered, are they making it still or is it going to be a hoard then sell @ 4X the price in a couple months?

Or maybe I shouldn't even ask that.

if it is limited so others can get what they need before others buy 30 lbs.
Old 2010-08-22, 8:01am

I think you should ask that. That is exactly what I have been wondering and I would really like to know if they are still making this. Is it top secret?

Old 2010-08-22, 10:36am

Default Vetrofond Light Ivory

I try not to bore you with the history of glass production at Vetrofond, but historically Vetrofond was making blown lamps and other objects of art long before they began producing glass rods. I have one of their rejected light fixtures that was blown in a mold and the finished size is about 4 foot tall with a diameter of around 8 inches with multiple layers and about half an inch thick. Light shades like this might be found hanging in some of the most beautiful buildings in the world. The Vetrofond factory has a very unique and secret way of blowing glass which I am not allowed to mention, and even the photos I can take at the factory are limited.

I do not actually know the date they obtained the production equipment for the glass rod making that they have at this time, but I might assume that it was in the late 80's or even the early 90's. Next time I am at the factory I will ask Mr. Moretti. And before you start wondering, the Mr. Moretti of Vetrofond has no connection to the glass company name of Moretti, the name Moretti is common in Italy.

The first time I visited Murano and was on my first visit to Moretti (now Effetre) I was greeted by Mr. Fausto that was the plant manager. I actually have written a poem about that experience and one day I will share that experience with everyone.

Then I heard that Fausto left Moretti and began to work at Vetrofond and he solicited me for business to buy glass rods from Vetrofond and many years later I did purchase Vetrofond Glass, long after Mr. Fausto had passed away.

Vetrofond has a magazine (an outlet shop on Murano, not open to the public) but if you were to knock at the door, you probably would be able to come in and look around as the managers they have had while I visited have been so kind and nice.

It was only a few years ago that the young man that operated the shop was tragically killed in an accident (not related to work). Soon a new person was running the shop and he is a very nice person as well.

While you will see many shops in Murano and Venice using 5-6mm rods, you will find the majority of glass artists using the 11-12 opaque and 13-14mm transparent sized rods. When I go to one special beadmaker and ask him to make a bead out of a new Effetre color rod, he will take 3 of the 5-6mm rods and tape them together so they have the size and feel of a larger diameter rod because that is what most artists use. In American and many other parts of the world, beadmakers use the 5-6mm, but in Italy you will see a large number using the larger rods, and with the help of a porta cana, the glass artist has large diameters rods heated and almost dripping and ready to use.

Ok, I guess I have gotten away from a quick and short answer to where the rods are.......I continue.

When I first visited Vetrofond and entered their magazine, there were rods of many diameters, but the majority was larger. The number of colors in the 5-6mm size were very limited. For me to get them to make any color in a 5-6mm size, I had to commit to buying a production which was anywhere between 1,400 and 2,200 pounds! Now when you multiply 2000 pounds times 100 colors (or more) I ended up with a huge building of glass.

The economy has been bad for everyone, including me you and everyone else, and Vetrofond is no exception. With the world's economy declining for many, paychecks have shrunk or vanished and many of the glass than Vetrofond manufactures goes into high end retail shop in New York and into large buildings for lighting and the demand has gotten smaller and the need for glass on Murano for glass artist has also diminished.

So for one, the economy has kept Vetrofond from producing glass, and this has also effected Effetre, Costco, and the Pizza place around your corner. Less demand equals less production and less production means no more light ivory.

Vetrofond had said they would start production in August, but it was August of last year and it has been a full year and now they are slowly making glass rods.

Vetrofond recently produced six new ODD colors. I had some airfreighted in and took them to ISGB (I think Glass Craft Expo) and the BASH and had a bit available on line. We have about 10 pounds left of each of these new colors. The stock numbers are like.....791819 thru 791823 (or something like that). On my seafreight I have the balance of the production which is around 1,400 pounds of each color.

Light Ivory was produced and is on its way. Some other colors that we have been out of are also on the way. As far as black, it seems that when they produce black glass, the crucible is totally distroyed when they make black, so whey wait until the crucible is almost ready for the trash before they use it for black. Perhaps that is why the end of the production of black can have crucible rocks in it as it begins to fall apart.

We have 791064-CR. This CR stands for, I actually forgot, but it really means that BLack with Rocks. The glass works fine, but you got rocks in it and they sell it to me at a good price and I pass those savings on to my customers.

Somebody posted that light ivory was available in France, and that is because I did not buy the entire production and they have acquired some at Vetrofond. This is just my best guess and it is also possible that it is left over from an old production.

Somebody asked about shipping Fed X, while I have not checked into Fed X shipping, it can not be cheap. When I want to UPS by air the cost is around $4 or more per pound. If I go airfreight the cost is around $2.50 per pound. This prices can go up when fuel costs are on the rise. BUT, when I ship by sea, the cost per pound is around $.25 per pound. For that reason I will only bring in by air the colors that we want to test or those that somebody is willing to pay an extra $2.50 to $3.00 per pound. Now if I airfreight in Light Ivory and give a 35% discount and pay $3.00 per pound for shipping....I make no profit I go into the hole. So we all will wait and be patient for these colors and when Light Ivory arrives, I will have around 1,400 pounds and I will not run out for a very long time. Sometime in the future Vetrofond will say they have another shipment ready, and if we have sold enough of the light ivory we will bring more of it in and we should be good for a few years.

I do not know if this answered the question, but it did give you something (maybe interesting) to read.

Mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2010-08-22, 11:00am
Entropy increasing....

CR = crucible rocks?
Old 2010-08-22, 11:23am
Live and Let Live

I was thinking CR meant "crappy".

Old 2010-08-22, 1:15pm
Fancies

So if we place an order now for Vet. LI , will it go into backorder status and ship when it comes in, Mike?

Old 2010-08-22, 4:56pm

CRap?

The Torch Website: