LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-08-16, 5:23pm

Default Made in india

I have acquired some glass that is only labeled as "Made in India" followed by PS - 41...or 38...or variety of other numbers. No indication of COE. Anyone seen anything like this? Any ideas???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-08-16, 6:38pm

Devardi?

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2014-08-16, 6:57pm
I fart diamonds

PS could be PIG Sticks. Pretty sure it's 104, but you'd have to test for compatibility.

Old 2014-08-17, 6:41am

If it is Devardi, you could check by the colors. I have a Devardi sample card here: Number 41 is a bright transparant green. 38 is a transparant lime green.
Old 2014-08-17, 8:27am

Hmmmm, so I just made a bead where I mixed some Moretti with some of this. The rod I used is labeled Made in India PS-41. The rod color reminds me of a very light amethyst. We shall see if it's compatible with my 104.

Old 2014-08-17, 4:49pm

Well, so far so good...bead has been out of the kiln for the past 4 hours...no cracks. I'll let it ride for a while, but I'm feeling optimistic! Looks like it's COE 104...YAY!

Old 2014-08-17, 6:16pm
I fart diamonds

Why not just do the stinger pull compatibility test? Way faster than making a bead and waiting to see if it cracks.

Old 2014-08-17, 6:31pm

HEYYYYYYY, what's the stringer pull test???? Shame on me for not knowing...duh! Do tell...pleeeeease!

Old 2014-08-17, 6:43pm
I fart diamonds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baqrQ33Lodc

Old 2014-08-17, 8:32pm
Lampworkaholic!

It's not Devardi. I saw the photos. It was made by Pi-Glass around 2005 and it's 96 CoE.

If you want to sell it I'd be interested. I collect "interesting" glass.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2014-08-17, 11:02pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
It's not Devardi. I saw the photos. It was made by Pi-Glass around 2005 and it's 96 CoE.

If you want to sell it I'd be interested. I collect "interesting" glass.
Pi wasn't made in India. Pi was made in China by the same factory that produces CIM (CIM even brought back some of the line for a bit).

PIG was made in India and is 104 (ish).

Old 2014-08-18, 2:32am

Assuming it is "PIG," how much does it go for, and does anyone sell it? I would like to learn more about it, but can't find anything through google. Thank you to all thosenwho are trying to help!

Old 2014-08-18, 6:24am
I fart diamonds

PIG wasn't successful because it was terrible (worse than Devardi), so no one carries it. Not sure what you can get for it. It was cheap to begin with.

Old 2014-08-18, 6:31am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Pi wasn't made in India. Pi was made in China by the same factory that produces CIM (CIM even brought back some of the line for a bit).

PIG was made in India and is 104 (ish).
Thanks Shawnette - I thought Pi and PIG were the same.

Weren't there some PIG boro sticks too?

I have a couple of rods of the PS-labeled glass. I'll test them today and see what happens.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2014-08-18, 6:34am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Thanks Shawnette - I thought Pi and PIG were the same.

Weren't there some PIG boro sticks too?

I have a couple of rods of the PS-labeled glass. I'll test them today and see what happens.
Pi is AWESOME! Beautiful colors and melts like a dream. It's unfortunate that it went away just as I was making a complete switch to 96. I have a pretty good stash, though.

Old 2014-08-18, 7:37am

Thanks Shawnette! I did the stringer test this morning...that was EASY!!! The test revealed that this Made in India glass is either 104, or is certainly compatible with it. I did not deal with any Devardi-like shock factor while working with a few of the rods. I think I'll play a bit more before I decide how to price it. I hope I don't fall in love with it because I don't need any MORE glass!

At this point, it seems to me that I cannot list it as Pi or PIG, because it's not labeled. All I know for sure is that at the very least, it's compatible with 104, and that's a good thing. Thanks again!!!

Old 2014-08-18, 9:45am

divardi always looks hand pulled with rod size changing a bit from one end to the other.
sometimes there are bubbles or other inclusions as well.

Old 2014-08-18, 10:45am
Lampworkaholic!

I melted some PS 37 this morning. I didn't love it or hate it. I used a lot of 104 decoration, so when it comes out of the kiln, I'll check for any incompatibility.

Rudy - if you don't want to keep it, you don't know how to price it and you don't need more glass, maybe there is something else we could trade. I have presses that I'm not using, frit blends, other tools. etc.

Old 2014-08-18, 4:40pm

Hi Elizabeth,
Hi Elizabeth,
Not sure what I'm going to do because after using a little, I liked it. I melted some of a yummy orange, that was absolutely divine when it came out of the kiln. I put it over moretti clear and then encased it with more clear. No signs of incompatibility yet. How about you?

Old 2017-08-27, 8:20am
Flamin' Redhead

I realize this thread is old, but I've had some PS glass rods for years, and never melted the first rod. None of the PS numbers mentioned in this thread match up to the colors of my PS rods, so I don't know what I have - PI, PIG, what?

I have packed up my (200+ lbs. of) glass and my torch for moving, but left this bulk of glass out; it's over 4 lbs. I've googled and checked threads on LE without any clue. If anyone can help identify this, it would be most appreciated. Here's a photo or two.

#T48
Old 2017-08-27, 11:24am
Lampworkaholic!

Those are PIG Sticks. I still have a few and that is how they are labeled. They're 104 Coe or close.

Old 2017-08-27, 3:00pm
Flamin' Redhead

Quote:
Those are PIG Sticks. I still have a few and that is how they are labeled. They're 104 Coe or close.
Thank you Elizabeth, I wasn't sure whether they were PIG or Pi, b/c the color/numbers listed by other posters didn't match to the color/numbers on my rods.

Do you have either of the colors in my photo which has 2 rods?
Just want to be certain of them.

I'm looking to offer these up, as I have plenty of other glass that is going with.

#T48
Old 2017-08-27, 3:19pm
Lampworkaholic!

All my glass is on a pod somewhere between Texas and North Carolina. The amber color looks familiar. The colors I have are pretty much wysiwyg.

Old 2017-08-27, 3:24pm
Flamin' Redhead

I can relate - my glass is packed up, in a shipping container, and will be leaving NC in a couple weeks. Thanks for your help!

Reckon I might put this in the Garage sale area, or on FB....no idea what to ask...I have 4 lb. 3.5 oz.

#T48
Old 2017-08-28, 2:46pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

You should definitely hang onto the trans. red. The PIG/Made in India Transparent red is prettier than any other red I've seen. That looks just like what I used to buy at Arrow Springs.

Old 2017-08-28, 3:28pm
Flamin' Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
You should definitely hang onto the trans. red. The PIG/Made in India Transparent red is prettier than any other red I've seen. That looks just like what I used to buy at Arrow Springs.
That's a great tip! I shall keep the reds, thanks.

#T48
Old 2017-08-29, 1:54pm

Default What is Pig Glass

I just stumbled on this thread, and recently acquired a big amount of glass that had a few of those exact made in India labels. Other than devardi, I did not know there was glass from India.

Could someone please teach me about this glass, or point me in the right direction...

What is a 'pig stick'!

Thank you!!