Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Calls for Entries, etc.

Calls for Entries, etc. -- Calls for Entries, Contests, Exhibits, etc.

Old 2007-08-03, 12:17pm

Default Call to Artists

Hello all,

My name is Mitchell and I work at Olympic Color Rods in Seattle. Many of you may know about us, and many of you may not. The glass we sell is a 96 COE and comes in hundreds of colors (both in lampworking cane and frit). Our website, www.glasscolor.com is a great resource that people use to pick their palette/colors.

Here is where I am hoping to get help from you all. As many of you may know, some of our colors (especially transparents) are so dense that they look black in cane form. I am wanting to start a system where we display YOUR beads as examples of the colors on our site. I think this will be really cool and beneficial in that you will get exposure for your work, and I will essentially get great bead examples/photographs.

If you like this idea, and want your beads pictured, simply email images of your beads to: lampworking@glasscolor.com
Please include the following:

-Your Name
-Website Address
-Colors and types of glass used (like if the bead has a Morretti base)
-A general description of technique telling me if you reduced it or if you applied the color with stringer/frit...
-Additional info if you think it will be beneficial

I will crop your images and clean them up a little in Photoshop (if need be), but of course any help would be appreciated. Don't worry about sizing them (dpi) or getting them completely ready for the web as I probably will tweak them a little.

The way I envision this working is that once I get a good database of images, I will display a few, maybe just one bead at a time for a particular color. I will include a little description of your technique, your name of course, and a link to your website. Hopefully this is going to be popular enough that I will be rotating the images every few weeks/every month. This has potential to be really cool and help build the already existing sense of community.

I am sure that some of you will have questions, so feel free to write to me at lampworking@glasscolor.com, or just post to this thread (I will try to check back here as time permits). I hope this finds everyone well, and thank you for your time...and hopefully images!

PS - It was great seeing those of you who were at the Gathering!

Mitchell Burdett
Olympic Color Rods
(800) 445-7742
Old 2007-08-03, 12:22pm
make beads not war

Does this just apply to transparents or is it any color?
Old 2007-08-03, 12:36pm

it applies to all of our colors
Old 2007-08-03, 1:26pm
Entropy increasing....

LOL. This is funny because a month or two ago I sent a picture of one of my goddess beads made out of Raku to OCR to show them what the glass they are selling actually can do. In the picture they had the raku was just beige. Hey, look what your glass does!

Must have made an impression.

I think this is a great idea.

Last edited by Kevan; 2007-08-03 at 1:42pm.
Old 2007-08-03, 2:20pm

kevan, you should resend the image to the email address i provided above. Who did you email it to because it was never passed on to me?
Old 2007-08-03, 2:23pm
Entropy increasing....

I did just send it to you. I sent it to the addess on the website.

I think this is a great idea. It's nice to see what the glass does. So much of it is not the same when it's melted as it is in the rod.
Old 2007-08-03, 2:54pm

sounds good kevan...i will get someone to forward that email to me. that being said everyone else should use lampworking@glasscolor.com, as i set up that email specifically for this thread.

i think this is going to be really cool too...not only showing the different reactions and different color combinations, but also giving each person credit for their work.
Old 2007-08-03, 4:26pm
Entropy increasing....

Oh, no..I meant I just resent it to this address that you just gave us. You should have it in your mailbox.
Old 2007-08-03, 6:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
LOL. This is funny because a month or two ago I sent a picture of one of my goddess beads made out of Raku to OCR to show them what the glass they are selling actually can do. In the picture they had the raku was just beige. Hey, look what your glass does!

Must have made an impression.

I think this is a great idea.
I sent a photo of an R-108 bead to them several years ago.
Old 2007-08-03, 6:51pm

Very cool idea, this is great! I'm off to look through pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-08-04, 4:25pm
Formerly known as LT

I think this is a wonderful idea! It is nice to know what a color does before you buy a bunch if it. I will have to get my pics together!

Old 2007-08-04, 6:11pm

Kevan post your pic here. I didn't see it there and would love to see it.

Old 2007-08-08, 7:06am
Flame-Bouyant!

Oh, this is a great idea! I use Reichenbach glass all the time...love the colors! I'll have to give this a go!

Dana
Old 2007-08-09, 1:31am
Entropy increasing....

Liza here you go!

Old 2007-08-09, 6:08am
StudioMarcy

Kevan, that's gorgeous!
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2007-08-09, 3:21pm

Kevan, I saw those when you posted before, just wanted to say they are AMAZING!!! Thanks for showing them again!!!
Mary T.
Old 2007-08-09, 8:23pm
Spoiled

I know I ended up buying a few different colors from you guys at the Gathering after seeing some of the sample beads on your table. My friend bought a ton of different colors.

I'm a visual person and like being able to see what the glass can do before I buy it.

Also, I haven't gotten to play with some of your new 104 colors, but hope to get time next week.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2007-08-11, 7:26am
Flame-Bouyant!

Kevan...those beads are AMAZING!!! WOW WOW WOW.

Dana
Old 2007-08-13, 10:03am

Thank you to everyone who has sent in images so far...they look great! I will have them up on the site in a couple weeks. I first want to get a good database of images so I can up load them at once. Keep them coming!!! lampworking@glasscolor.com