Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-02-16, 10:15pm

Default How often do you drain your propane hoses?

How often do you drain your propane hoses?

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-02-17, 4:46pm
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

I've only done it once in the past 6 years. I was just thinking about it the other day and figuring it was probably going to be time again this spring (when I can go outside to do it - blick stinky yuck).
etsy shop:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

doggies:
Old 2007-02-17, 5:03pm
Renee

Hmmm....didn't know you were supposed to do that. Why and how?? Thanks! Renee

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2007-02-17, 5:19pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlaurel View Post
Hmmm....didn't know you were supposed to do that. Why and how?? Thanks! Renee
Me too!
Old 2007-02-17, 6:29pm

The oil that gives propane that wonderful smell eventually builds up in the your hoses and can work its way into your torch causing a nasty flame, and carbon specks in your glass. Plus, it isn't good for your torch.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-02-17, 8:59pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
The oil that gives propane that wonderful smell eventually builds up in the your hoses and can work its way into your torch causing a nasty flame, and carbon specks in your glass. Plus, it isn't good for your torch.
Actually it's not the odorant (Ethyl Mercaptan) in the propane....

A very informative white paper on what oils that are found in propane hose may be found here. And why you may or may not need to drain hose.

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...opic.php?t=219

Thank Bill Harrison ( of Creation Station) for this enlightening article.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-02-18, 11:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Actually it's not the odorant (Ethyl Mercaptan) in the propane....

A very informative white paper on what oils that are found in propane hose may be found here. And why you may or may not need to drain hose.

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...opic.php?t=219

Thank Bill Harrison ( of Creation Station) for this enlightening article.

Dale
Good Article! Bill is a sharp guy. I have noticed the problem more since I started using the outer ring of my Delta, and my hoses are 25 feet long, so I think I will try and drain them just to see if it makes a difference.

Old 2007-02-18, 11:14am
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

Eric my hoses are the same length and have a bit of a drop from where they intake so I think of that as a sort of junk collection area.

To speed up the process I hooked one end up to one of my smaller compressors. Pretty foul smelling stuff.
etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2007-02-18, 11:20am

I will have to find someone who has a compressor around here. Of course, they may not appreciate me squirting that goo out over at there place, so maybe I should rent one from Home Depot instead.

Old 2007-02-18, 12:59pm

That's a good idea. I would do it now, but I only have about 9 months of use on them. Looks like another item to put on my list of things to save for. Now, if that darn cat hadn't needed the $1200 dollars worth of surgery......

Old 2019-02-16, 9:48am
Formally ZiggyS

FYI!!! When I clicked on the link to go to ArtGlassAnswers.com I received a virus warning saying my computer was now infected.
I was able to simply close that window (not always an option with virus scrams) but wanted to alert anyone who is not tech savvy and might be inclined to believe that they do indeed have a virus and feel the need to call the phone number listed on that virus alert warning! (Last year my friend who is not a computer person called the phone number for the virus scam. It ended up costing her $300.00 to them plus a computer technician to get the virus off of her computer afterwards.)
This only happened on my second attempt to click on the link. The first try Safari blocked it. But being that I'm stubborn I tried again.
I am using Safari on a Mac.