LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-11, 6:29pm

Default Going from oxycon to oxy tank and charred clear...

I have aDeVilblis oxycon that I work with at home and have no problems encasing or using clear (oxy set at 4.5, propane tank to . However when I try to work with the tank...my clears always gets charred. The oxy tank is set to about 10' my propane is about the same.

Do I need to increase my propane? This is driving me a bit insane!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beaded Chic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-11, 6:30pm

Ack...emoticon got in the way...propane is set to 10 as well...

Beaded Chic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-11, 7:02pm
Unmedicated since '62

Hotter flame?

Try winding it back to a smaller flame for a bit

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-12, 6:43am
Now part of the Dark Side

I'm not sure what you mean by "charred". If you are seeing little white cloud like things on the surface of the clear that is boiling. You need to work further out in the flame to avoid that. If your clear is getting smokey grey, that is reduction, double check your flame for neutral or slightly oxidizing and work further out in the flame. For me the biggest thing is that I tend to get cheap with the oxy, so I try to use as little as possible, and I wind up reducing and boiling because I work too close to the torch face.
Old 2012-08-12, 8:09am

That sounds a bit high for the propane. I don't know what kind of torch you have but most manufacturers have recommended settings in their tech specs.

eta- Is that a mini-cc in your FB pic? Maybe this will help. http://carlislemachine.com/as_benchburners/minicc.php

Last edited by Three Muses Glass; 2012-08-12 at 8:13am. Reason: add link
Old 2012-08-12, 6:17pm

The charring I was getting was literally like black coal type striping in the glass. So, thank you to everyone's suggestions...I followed all three tips! My oxy was too high, but my regulator doesn't go that low on my tank but I did turn it as low as I could. I also pulled the flame down lower AND worked Rutherford out in the flame. It did the trick! The clear was back to normal and not going so weird on me. Thank you again everyone...I was starting to feel like I was losing my touch!

P.S....good eye on the FB pic, Rebecca, I do work with a mini-CC.. I have one at the home studio and one I keep on site for my demo work at Faire.

Beaded Chic