No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-16, 1:06pm
...displaced ocean lover

Red face Zoozii Press Questions

First of all...does this need to be in tips or can I ask in this "pull up a chair and grab your drinks and chat about any ole thing" area?

I may be a little more anxious than usual b/c I have an actual "show" coming up. I feel like I need some "shapey" beads to go along with all my turtles, dogs, cats, flamingos...you know...not regular shapey beads.

I've been online it seems looking at different Cattwalk and Zoozii presses.

Anyway, I wanted to get a lentil size bigger than the trio but way smaller than the enormo one...can any of you please help me and let me know if I'm getting what I need b/f I actually finish my purchase?

I am buying these:
1 Kalera Large $50.00
1 Medium+ Duo (21mm) $65.00

Also, just so I'm sure what I'm buying...The Kalera Large is a little longer and just a hair less wide than the Medium Crunch? And the crunch is a square, is that right?

I have the Kalera trio - and wanted to have a larger bead to go with the large one in that trio. The Kalera large should work for that, is that correct?

I love Cattwalk too but haven't seen anything over there like these.

Anyone got a favorite that I might need to get...may as well get them while I'm in the buying mood, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats

Last edited by Roo Blaty; 2012-08-16 at 1:41pm.
Old 2012-08-16, 1:13pm

I think the spree shape is easier to use than the lentil. The lentil gives you "indented" ends and I have trouble with getting the glass slopped around on the mandrel and getting it to look the same on both ends. I also think it's easier to keep from thermal cracking, since the glass is a more consistent thickness all the way across.

The Kalera is like a chubby crunch with neat, squared up ends. Very cool.
Old 2012-08-16, 1:17pm
...displaced ocean lover

Thanks Robin!
Is there a spree or tab that is about an inch and maybe one a smidgen smaller?
Is it Cattwalk or Zoozii??

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-16, 1:31pm

http://www.zooziis.com/original.aspx

She has some measurements in inches and some in mm, but I don't have a ruler handy.

I like the "original" thickness, again, just because I have to worry less about thermal cracking.

Cattwalk is excellent, but you don't have the pins attached to the press, so you have to work in a corner or with their little bracket thingie. They offer free shipping (which I am a sucker for) and I think they have a spree/straight lentil too.

I recently got a crunch and really like it. Much easier to do a quick squish than to measure and futz to get a Kalera shape right (though the Kalera shape is sooooo nice).
Old 2012-08-16, 1:40pm
...displaced ocean lover

Robin, you're right...love that crunch! It's so versatile!
I do love the Cattwalk presses with the free shipping AND b/c of it not having those little pins.

But I didn't see the size lentil I need. And I also agree, that the Kalera shape is sooo pretty!

I have the XXL lentil and actually seem to have much less trouble with it, as far as cracking goes than say the thinner but same sized but much thinner Tab XL. I always thought that the larger amount of glass would hold the heat better for me. The thinner it is the quicker it cools down. Of course, maybe it's just b/c I've invested sooo much time (and glass) getting it all melted and smooshed that I pay more attention to it?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-16, 4:07pm

I would personally suggest the round about by graceful customs. I have almost all of their tools and they are absolutely the best. I have had lentil presses before and I didn't like them. I have the super round about right now and I absolutely love it, but it makes huge lentils (1 1/2 in).

www.gracefulcustoms.com

Old 2012-08-16, 4:18pm
...displaced ocean lover

Autumn, thank you! I'd never even heard of them b/f. I'll check them out!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-16, 6:23pm
Wonder-wench

I prefer Zoozii's over Catwalk as each Zoozii's works by itself (has it's own centering pins) and doesn't need a special base like Catwalk

I started with the classic lentil trio and eventually went to the spree or tab shape as it is a bit easier to get the area near the holes nice.

If I want a fatter shape, closer to the classic, I first press to get the tab shape and outer diameter set, then add some more glass and use the press to maintain the diameter but allow the bead to grow fatter (more like classic lentil) by not pressing down all the way.

I hope that helps

Old 2012-08-16, 7:34pm

Michael Barley has a nice looking hand held lentil press.
Old 2012-08-16, 7:57pm

I won't compare and contrast the tools, but do want to agree with the comments that the bead holes are nicer on the Straight sided lentils than they are on the lentil, in general because there is more glass around the mandrel in that style.

Also, thank you for your nice comment on the Kalera, Robinj. It's one I only brought to life and did not conceive, but it's a favorite of mine, especially in the XLong size. Kalera was the mind behind the shape...hence, the name.

Yes, Roo, there is a Medium+ and a Large which are 21mm and 1" (or about 24.5mm), respectively in the spree (straight sided lentil) shape...oh, and I'm putting this together, I think I just replied to your email from earlier tonight, LOL!

My Daughter and Husband Wrote a book.

The Car Catch-all...the most useful non-lampworking item ever!
Old 2012-08-17, 10:04am
...displaced ocean lover

Elizabeth, that's a really good idea!

Amy, thanks for the email and here, too....did ya mail it yet?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Tags
press questions