Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-17, 12:28pm

Default Kiln Help Please!

I started my kiln today and it was ramping up fine. I started making beads and at about 750 degrees, the temp suddenly started dropping. The coil was no longer on and it is dropping pretty steadily and quickly. I tried turning it on and off, i tried resetting the temp, and I tried restarting the program. The controller box clicks on, shows the temp and shows the correct programs but the heating coil is not heating at all.

Any guesses? I have an email in to Mike but don't know how long til he can get to me. Of course, this is the first weekend I have had to torch in months lol.

I am sure the beads that are in there are toast since the temp was dropping at about 100 degrees in 5 minutes.

Thanks in advance for any help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-17, 1:12pm

Just wanted to say that Pam has already gotten back to me, and I just want to thank them for their super fast response and stellar customer service!

Old 2012-08-17, 1:17pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

You are most welcome Sonja. Glad you have an element on hand to fix it right up!

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-08-17, 1:21pm

Me too lol! I am going to work on this tonight so I can torch tomorrow.

Old 2012-08-17, 5:19pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Really curious, did the beads survive? You gonna try to batch anneal them? Sorry this happened right in the middle of a session, after not having torched in a while. Glad it got fixed quick.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-08-17, 5:22pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

If the beads weren't too huge they should be ok for a future batch anneal run. As long as they come out whole and are not a striking glass that can go muddy after extended time in the kiln, they should so well in a batch anneal setting.

Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-08-17, 6:59pm

Well, that was an adventure lol! It looks like replacing the element fixed the problem, although I will do a full test run tomorrow, its ramping up just like it should. The beads seem to be fine, fortunately, I was only up to 5 and 4 of them were ribbed spacers. I will do a batch anneal on them tomorrow but it looks good so far.The larger encased focal may crack but so far so good and its not really huge or complicated so even if it doesn't make it I am okay with that.

Once again, many thanks to Pam for the super quick help and for the encouragement on taking the kiln apart and putting it back together lol!

Old 2012-08-18, 11:42am
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Sonja, you did all the hard stuff we were just moral support. Glad you are back up and going for the weekend.

Pam

Henry David Thoreau