Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-04, 10:28am
The Crazy One

Default Ugly glass… What color is YOUR ugly?

I think we all have some glass that we think is ugly. I know I’ve had numerous colors over the years that I thought were ugly.

Pineapple Sparkle? Yup ugly! I thought it looked like a feeble attempt at My Beloved Translucent Yellow (moretti 409) IMHO it was a weak and dirty looking color and I love yellow glass!

River Rock? Yup ugly! Luckily I didn’t have much of that! Ewwww

The list could go on and on, but why bring up ugly memories of glass past… Right now for me it’s this “Cool Color” American Beauty 5916-43 and I all can say is YUCK! I have been using it for cores on larger beads, but then I thought: I wonder IF anyone likes this color… After all there are plenty of people who like that pineapple crap.

So tell us what is your “ugly” color or colors. Maybe there will be someone who likes it and want to trade, who knows…

Here’s the not so American Beauty

Old 2008-10-04, 10:37am

can we see a bit of it cooked?? LOL

I can't think of the one color everyone likes and I think is ugly. LOL I'll have to look once I can be mobile again cause everyone likes it. Makes me feel stupid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blogger
Old 2008-10-04, 10:44am
Trying to Hope!

I still love Fish pink I dislike striking red it never strikes for me and looks red

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-10-04, 10:47am
Glass-aholic

coral!!!! I love it in rod form.. and when i use it it sucks!
(the darker ones especially! I do OK with the mango coral )

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-10-04, 10:51am
Ad astra per aspera

Opaque avocado effetre. Blech. Opaque sage isn't much better.

Old 2008-10-04, 10:55am
One Crazy Mama

vetro candy apple & the cim red, a really dark dried blood color....one of their first releases....bordello....ew ew ew ew

Last edited by coyotesfamily; 2008-10-04 at 2:57pm.
Old 2008-10-04, 10:56am
One Crazy Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
mmmmm i love both of those

Old 2008-10-04, 10:59am
sunscreen me baby

lime sweet
a heck of a lot of silver 104's I can't make sing

~

Old 2008-10-04, 11:05am
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Some of the greenish ochers. Urrrrrrrp.

And lest we forget - the hightly unique, unusual and hideous Fish Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
Kimberly, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the "Poo Ochers." The fat vetro poo is to die for when it's burnt, yummie camouflage color! I will agree that fish pink sucks!

Karen, Try a bit of silver leaf on that opaque sage and you may bet some wonderful blue and purple! I love both Avocado and Sage in opaque, the transparent... Not so much.
Old 2008-10-04, 11:09am
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Glass_Bash View Post
can we see a bit of it cooked?? LOL

I can't think of the one color everyone likes and I think is ugly. LOL I'll have to look once I can be mobile again cause everyone likes it. Makes me feel stupid.
These's no reason to feel stupid because you don't like a color that most do, so stop that! I'll get a paddle later today.
Old 2008-10-04, 11:17am
Gimme that silver glass!

I love the candy red from Vetro . I'd agree on the vetro greens (odds), but I'm not a green lover anyway. But honestly, I find almost every color to have something nice. Just a glass sucker I guess, no matter the color .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-10-04, 11:22am

Please send all your ugly colors to me
Old 2008-10-04, 11:35am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

fish pink, definetly, and that american beauty... reminds me of blood in water. I hit my head in a pool once and ended up in the water with a nice gap in my forehead ( don't ask) and that is exactly what the water looked like, american beauty.
Also, I don't care for transparant dark grass green. I have 1 rod of it, and I've had it for four years, never touched it but I'm keeping it anyway.

Old 2008-10-04, 12:06pm
Happy 10 a.m.!

Lime sweet, strawberry sweet, striking red -uggh, I'm sure user error has a lot to do with the colors I don't like.

Mega Minor w/propane, tanked oxy and humor
Old 2008-10-04, 12:49pm

That vetro ocher color I've got some in the very bottom of my picnic basket! Now I know who I should send it to!!! (where is loco's address???) It's an old batch too...came with some batch I bought from someone else...got really nice glass & that icky mystery with it....ewwwwww....(ironically, my sister loves that shade )
I don't use much in the way of rusts/oranges (as in all those weird odd lot oranges) either (unless they're in rainbows ) & yet, I adore all the corals...not really sure HOW that one worked out??

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-10-04, 12:50pm
I speak Murrini!

All Pineapple Sparkle HATERS can send it to me... No new stuff though! That white core in it blows...

And talk about hideous...that "Frog Pond" s**t should have been called "Sump Pump" IMHO!

This is a fun thread...keep 'em coming!!!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-10-04, 12:58pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I gotta say I'm not in love with Sedona. And I had such high hopes for it too.
Old 2008-10-04, 1:20pm
Mary Lockwood

I was very disappointed with frog pond too. I didn't realize it was a cool earthy looking green on the outside, with a solid core of glass poo in the middle. Sucky. I can still use it for other stuff, but can't make frogs with it because it sucks.

There were some other odd lot vetro greens too that were the same make-up. Don't like those either.

I love pineapple sparkle...but only if it is thin enough that you can see through it and gets lots of sparkle effect, like fish fins. I don't like it solid.

~~Mary

Old 2008-10-04, 1:49pm

I have a glass that everyone loves and I just hate it. It is river rock. I guess I maybe don't know what to really use it with. Everything I try with it it looks ugly....Dawn

Old 2008-10-04, 1:56pm
Satake Woman!

Actually that red looks cool, and I like fish pink. What I don't like is the vetro pink marble. It never looks like anything other than off white for me. I bought it when it first came out and it is still sitting there.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2008-10-04, 2:02pm
Scientific Glass Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
All Pineapple Sparkle HATERS can send it to me... No new stuff though! That white core in it blows...

And talk about hideous...that "Frog Pond" s**t should have been called "Sump Pump" IMHO!

This is a fun thread...keep 'em coming!!!

De
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I was very disappointed with frog pond too. I didn't realize it was a cool earthy looking green on the outside, with a solid core of glass poo in the middle. Sucky. I can still use it for other stuff, but can't make frogs with it because it sucks.

There were some other odd lot vetro greens too that were the same make-up. Don't like those either.

I love pineapple sparkle...but only if it is thin enough that you can see through it and gets lots of sparkle effect, like fish fins. I don't like it solid.

~~Mary
OMG i looooove frog pond. are you trying to get rid of yours?

Old 2008-10-04, 2:03pm

Yellow ocher. Eeeeewwwww! I got one batch that was supposed to be the green ocher that I LOVE but this one is a nasty yellow with a green tint to it. I trusted a pic online and have 4 pounds of hideousness.
Fish pink - fish guts...what's the diff? lol
Terra. I. just. don't. get. it.
Rainbow Red. As far as I can remember, rainbows don't look that! Creepy color IMO.
I do love that original pineapple sparkle though. Yum

Old 2008-10-04, 2:36pm
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnjr1 View Post
I have a glass that everyone loves and I just hate it. It is river rock. I guess I maybe don't know what to really use it with. Everything I try with it it looks ugly....Dawn
Not everyone loves it! Personally it just looks like sage, avocado and ivory mixed together, YUCK!
Old 2008-10-04, 2:41pm

Honey Crunch - if I wanted something that looked like ivory, I'd buy ivory, not an imitation that chunks onto my work surface in 1" pieces... I keep using up shorts of it not to waste it, but I'll probably ignore the rods for a while.

Not an huge fan of EDP, but it also doesn't like me.

Pineapple Sparkle is nice - I mean, it's no translucent yellow, but...

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-10-04, 2:47pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I was very disappointed with frog pond too. I didn't realize it was a cool earthy looking green on the outside, with a solid core of glass poo in the middle. ~~Mary
This made me laugh out loud!!!

Kimberly I'm going to give it a couple more tries but if it doesn't thrill me, I'll send it your way. I absolutely love the colors you're getting from it and soooo want to get those same colors in my beads but I'm just not having any luck.
Old 2008-10-04, 2:51pm

You guys are cracking me up. I am glad that whilst I am trying to recover I am finding such entertaining reading while I am recovering. LOL

I don't like fish pink and I think it's the one that I keep burning the shit out of no matter what.

there's a color of turq too I think that no matter what I do with it I burn it unless I am on my HH. LOL

but you guys are able to get some amazing combonations together than when I have tried them I was like hurking hair balls. LOL How it could work for one and not another makes me confused..

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2008-10-04, 2:56pm

Matisse Red or whatever it's called from Rocio. Just looks like burnt syrup to me. And I paid too much to have it look like something stuck in my frying pan after leaving the heat on too long! And the Vetro lime and strawberry sweet don't do it for me either.

I like Pineapple Sparkle!

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2008-10-04, 3:00pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Glass_Bash View Post
You guys are cracking me up. I am glad that whilst I am trying to recover I am finding such entertaining reading while I am recovering. LOL
Blame it on Loco!!! She's such a riot...I adore her! She sure knows how to take a "bottom of the dumpster" topic and make it a true winner (no offense intended here, missy - it's a TALENT!!!)

Glad your feeling better! I read about your plight - whew, good thing you're pro-active on your own behalf!!!

De

Old 2008-10-04, 3:00pm

Loco you can sell that color to me any day. I absolutely love red glass. CIM sangre is yummy to me.
I love to use yellow ocher also as I makes a cool snake bead.
Sorry, I cannot think of any glass colors that I really dislike.

Debbie
Old 2008-10-04, 3:06pm
I speak Murrini!

Default Frog Pond - where to send it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivELampworK View Post
OMG i looooove frog pond. are you trying to get rid of yours?
And all I need is a ship address - 3.5 oz. of Frog Pond coming your way!

De