LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-31, 4:32pm

Thanks Pam, Avena and Carolyn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-01, 4:09am

I thought this might be of interest, here is part of the UK Copyright Law as it applies to design:
Primary infringement of design right (1) The owner of design right in a design has the exclusive right to reproduce the design for commercial purposes—
(a) by making articles to that design, or
(b) by making a design document recording the design for the purpose of enabling such articles to be made.
(2) Reproduction of a design by making articles to the design means copying the design so as to produce articles exactly or substantially to that design, and references in this Part to making articles to a design shall be construed accordingly.
I came across this after having problems with my copyrighted work being used for items being sold in a shop Thailand. I knew when I wrote the projects that this could happen and it was a risk I took knowingly, so I have to live with the fact that some people think its OK to sell multiple copies of my exact project even though they probably know they are infringing on my copyright, its annoying, but its life

#D45

Old 2009-01-01, 3:05pm
Don't dis The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
However, I would much rather be known as a "thread derailer" than as an evil, money-hungry, lying monster.
Seriously, get over yourself, Sarah. No one in this thread described you as such. Oh, the drama...

Yep-

Quote:
Seriously. Ridiculous.

It takes a lot more "faith" to believe that man did all of this all by himself than it does to believe that he had help.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not. ~Andre Gide
Old 2009-01-01, 3:11pm

Well, Lisa, what else can I say. You may have felt differently if all of this was being directed at you. Maybe not. I don't know.

How I feel is how I feel. I'm really done discussing this now.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-01, 5:22pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asil4 View Post
Seriously, get over yourself, Sarah. No one in this thread described you as such. Oh, the drama...

Yep-
What's up with the personal attacks?

So you don't like Sarah. We get it.

Old 2009-01-01, 6:05pm
Don't dis The Cheese

Kalera,

If you would like to view that as a personal attack, go right ahead. I see it as calling her out on the gross misrepresentation she posted. I guess you don't consider it a personal attack on her part to state that others have said she's "an evil, money-hungry, lying monster." Although she didn't name anyone specifically, that negative "transgression" could be taqged onto anyone who might have disagreed with her along the way.

I guess I just tire of the attempts at martrydom at the expense of others- and, I said so. Oh, well.

Lisa

It takes a lot more "faith" to believe that man did all of this all by himself than it does to believe that he had help.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not. ~Andre Gide
Old 2009-01-01, 6:20pm
Flame Dames Rule!

And on that note, I'm off to buy Sarah's tutorial.

Happy new year, everybody!
*s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2009-01-01, 6:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
What's up with the personal attacks?

So you don't like Sarah. We get it.
Forget it... she's just gonna keep going on and on until she gets the last word. Might as well let her have it, or else this will never end. (Thanks, though. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
And on that note, I'm off to buy Sarah's tutorial.

Happy new year, everybody!
*s*
Thanks so much!
*flattered out of my mind*

Happy new year!

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-01, 10:17pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asil4 View Post
I guess you don't consider it a personal attack on her part to state that others have said she's "an evil, money-hungry, lying monster."

Uh

No, I don't. Because there's absolutely no way that could be defined as a personal attack.

Like I said, we get it. You don't like her.

Old 2009-01-01, 11:31pm

Um, back to the topic at hand....
I haven't read this entire thread, but when I buy a tutorial, I always assume that I am not supposed to start making those exact beads and selling them.
I think it's better and more "you" to come up with your own version of the idea. Now, the degree of the difference between your version and the writer's version is another entire thread...sigh, this stuff is never ending.

Last edited by truegem; 2009-01-01 at 11:46pm.
Old 2009-01-02, 11:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Because there's absolutely no way that could be defined as a personal attack.
Nor is it actually what I said, but... yeah.

|
|
|
Old 2009-05-18, 12:12pm
+Glass -Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Here's my nickels worth on this. Flame my shaggy ass if you feel
the need to .

1) If you buy the tutorial, then you have the right to make and
sell the item you are learning. Would you spend money for Law School
and then be told you couldn't practice? Would a doctor learn to use
an x-ray machine, and then be told that he couldn't take x-rays
for patients? I don't think so.

2) If you write the tutorial, and accept money for it, you are essentially
giving up your right (whatever right you might possess) to that particular
design/technique. (note: NOT to the actual tutorial. People have no right
to copy or share the actual physical tutorial itself). To assume that someone
will buy the tutorial and not make the item to sell is both ridiculous and
will guarantee you an ulcer as you try and chase 1 gazillion people all
over the internet. You are an artist, and when everyone is making "your"
bead, that shouldn't matter. You should be on to the next best thing and
"your" next bead.

NOW,

3) That said, if you DO buy the tutorial, then - as a TRUE artist, it is
expected that you will put your own twist on the design. Example: If
one day Kimberly comes out with a tutorial on Seahorses, and I buy
it, then I should make seahorses until I get the gist of it.
Then I should take those techniques and make something different
(say, a lionfish, or a different breed of seahorse).
That's what makes you an artist, learning a technique, and then
putting your own personal spin on it. Making it your own.
Otherwise, you're just a copycat .

...and then we make fun of you and call you names.....
Applause!!! 'nuff said

Old 2009-05-18, 12:33pm

Just my thoughts here:

I started out doing stained glass. Stained glass patterns always carried a "do not create for resale" notice, so I gave up on patterns after I made my first few pieces. Started doing things myself. This is not unusual.

The truth is, you cannot copyright an idea. Or a technique. You can patent a technique, but that only prevents other people from selling the technique, not things that they've made using the technique.

The problem here, I think, is that beads are small. You can incorporate a stained glass technique that you learned from a book into a different piece. A lot of times with beads though, the technique IS the piece.

Just food for thought.

A fuser trying to figure out this hot glass thing!

Currently using HH w/ MAPP gas - Cricket w/ concentrator is on the way!
Old 2009-05-20, 7:55am

Took me two days to read this thread, but wow what a read it was.
I didnt see it when it was active.
My prayer is that I hope that everyone can and has learned something for this.
I know I have.

Amelia
Old 2009-05-20, 8:49am
Salt Box Beads

Back to the original title of this thread: PLS write warnings on tuts...

My reply would be: PLS ask questions before buying tuts.

As far as everything else in this thread (I think) opinions will always be multi faceted. There will NEVER be one right way believed and practiced by all.

Lorraine
Old 2009-05-20, 9:21am
Tacki

What's up with all the thread necro lately?
Old 2009-05-20, 11:31am
Will work for glass...

There are so many completely different types of lampworked beads out there that whenever I make a bead, whether its from using a tutorial or just playing around, I can't help feeling like I've "seen it before." Maybe its because I am easily influenced by the beautiful beads I see when I troll around on etsy or LE or reading one of my glass books or magazines, and I end up infusing those designs into my work. I took a class with Loren Stump last year and he said something I agree with; he referred to a particular artist who had published a book containing instructions for many of the very same techniques and designs that this artist was known for. Now, I am not directly quoting him, so this is DEFINITELY hear-say, but he commented that a true artist doesn't mind revealing his or her techniques because the capability to evolve and create something different in the future is the essence of the artist. That being said, if you have a collection of techniques and are incapable of producing anything different for the rest of your life, better not release your ideas to the public if you still want to make money off of them, or you have pretty much given away the cow and you can no longer sell the milk! The copywrite police aren't going to come and get me if I make and sell the exact same bead as one I made using a tutorial, but I sure won't feel much like a true artist if that's how I make a living. I prefer to play around with color and design and throw away 100 beads in order to find that one "unique" piece that is truly all my own. Just my two cents.
Old 2009-05-20, 1:22pm
Salt Box Beads

I don't get this? Necro means dead body. To what dead body are you referring?

Lorraine
Old 2009-05-20, 1:50pm
Tacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post

I don't get this? Necro means dead body. To what dead body are you referring?

Lorraine
Sorry, it's a term used in other forums I frequent. The "dead body" here is the thread that hasn't been posted in for months.
Old 2009-05-20, 2:43pm
Salt Box Beads

Ohhhhh..sheesh, I was feeling really old and out of the loop? I guess I am!

I have noticed on this forum and Wetcanvas that old threads are revived all of the time and usually are a good thing because we have sooo many newbies signing up. It's all new and exciting and sometimes oldies revive the threads if they want too.

Thank-you for the "new" terminology.
Lorraine
Old 2009-05-21, 8:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMuse View Post
It happens more often than you think. I remember a seed bead class (some kind of bracelet bead weaving technique, I think) at a national event where people paid a lot to take a class, and were told at the class (not before) that you weren't allowed to reproduce the design for sale, only for personal use.
Yep, I've had a jewelry class like that - she made it a point to say that we can't sell items like hers (despite the fact that a. the technique is no secret and b. there are other teachers who teach and sell similar styles). The position of Bead and Button magazine is that all of the projects they print are for personal use only - not to be used commercially.

I think that the key is to use the techniques you've learned to put your own spin and flavor into the beads for the benefit of your own artistic creativity.

Old 2009-05-21, 9:00am

Grr - sorry - didn't see the date on this thread. This section of the forum must not get a lot of traffic, eh?

Old 2009-05-21, 9:19am
Pyromaniac

heh... The though that there are still people out there who don't know what necro-posting is kind of amazes me. It shouldn't, but it does... I've been involved in posting on boards in one form or another since the mid-80's... when instead of the internet, most of us used BBS systems hosted at people's homes on a dedicated phone line and computer.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-05-21, 9:30am
Tacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
heh... The though that there are still people out there who don't know what necro-posting is kind of amazes me. It shouldn't, but it does... I've been involved in posting on boards in one form or another since the mid-80's... when instead of the internet, most of us used BBS systems hosted at people's homes on a dedicated phone line and computer.
lol... I had a bbs when I was in high school. I had my own phone line separate from my parents and I'd keep it hooked up to that unless I was on the phone. Mine was called "The Pasture" and the loading page was an animated ansi picture of a cow taking a poo. I ran that stupid text game on there called LORD and my character kept having babies that I would name Shit Breath 1, Shit Breath 2, etc. Ah, the good ol' days before the internets.