Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-16, 11:17am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Dear Psyche..........

Writing you this letter is a long time in coming. My feelings for you are so mixed these days. Some days I am over the moon in love with you. Others.......not so much. Why do you torture me so my fickle lover. Do you not realize how much I care for you? How I dream of a deep and meaningful future for us?

Today I both adore you and hate you.

Do you enjoy teasing me with your brilliant yet fleeting purples?

I finally felt we had fully connected on Thursday. Now here it is Saturday and again you have withdrawn from me.

Stop being such a bitch!

If anyone and I plead with you, can enlighten me on what I did right on Thursday to finally discover the purples with psyche , I will be forever in your debt. (on a hothead)

And yes I am in a silly mood. We can't take this all too seriously dontcha know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-16, 2:55pm

I too, know of your pain and suffering...and yet I have not given up. Maybe there is hope for us both.....
Mimi
Lilacwindartglass.etsy.com
Old 2010-01-16, 2:59pm

I have never achieved purples with psyche! I live a deprived life and I plead with you to share with me how you ever did achieve it. I LOVE purple!
Old 2010-01-16, 3:09pm
Jacqueline Parkes

But that is the whole point to this thread. I don't know how I did it. It's so unfair..

Old 2010-01-16, 3:14pm

Yes, but all I have ever done is make a bead and reduce it. You must have done something else besides that, right?
Old 2010-01-16, 3:29pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Umm no I was just doing my .........well they are not named yet ( see other thread) and when I started to melt down the clear I saw purple! I was so psyched! (pun intended) haha

But I could not repeat it.

Old 2010-01-16, 3:54pm

Oh, ok, the same way I have done the aurae. I'll have to try that, thanks!
Old 2010-01-16, 6:24pm
Jacqueline Parkes

So is there no one here who can tell us how purple is achieved ? Is this a super duper state secret?

Old 2010-01-16, 6:33pm

I get purples over a light base colour, but only where I have actually burnt away the reduction a bit, letting the purple come through.

It's a nice effect, and one of the reasons I like Psyche so much, because it has a purple base rather than a blue base you can get interesting effects.

Is that what you saw?
Old 2010-01-16, 6:35pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I think so..........can you give me a recipe to try out? Meaning, a suggestion for a light base that has worked for you?

So do I understand correctly. Reduce but before encasing purposely take away a bit of the reduction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by one hot beader View Post
I get purples over a light base colour, but only where I have actually burnt away the reduction a bit, letting the purple come through.

It's a nice effect, and one of the reasons I like Psyche so much, because it has a purple base rather than a blue base you can get interesting effects.

Is that what you saw?

Old 2010-01-16, 6:38pm

You know how sometimes when reducing the psyche, instead of the shimmer it starts turning opaque? That is probably what is meant here.

I bet it would work well over CIM Canyon De Chelley (sp)?

I can't wait to find out what it is for sure though.
Old 2010-01-16, 6:40pm

Opal yellow is my go-to base.

These are all opal yellow and psyche
the back right had some of the reduction burned off.
Back left is heavily reduced (probably too heavy)
The front is struck repeatedly in a dragons breath flame, no encasing.

Old 2010-01-16, 6:42pm

And as the PP said Canyon de chelly is just divine with Psyche.

Darker than the opal yellow, and particularly pretty when lightly reduced to oil slick sheen surface decoration..
Old 2010-01-16, 6:44pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

I got the best "purple with iridescent colors" by making a bead of clear, encasing with psyche, lightly reducing, then encasing with clear. The clear base let the purple show through, and the light reducing didn't make it opaque blue/green.

I wish I had a pic of it, but I don't, sorry!
Old 2010-01-16, 6:47pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Pysche is the stripe in the middle of this bead...

Apply psyche to the bead, melt in and shape, and before encasing let it cool and then put in a reduction flame waaayayyyyy out at the fringe of the flame until you see a slight mirror finish and then encase. Booyah = PURPLE!

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2010-01-17, 12:07am
Lampworkaholic!

Jacqueline, I am sorry to be the one to tell you this, but Psyche is having an affair with me.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-01-17, 12:08am
Jacqueline Parkes

Muahaha, you evil woman. Tell me all the secrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Jacqueline, I am sorry to be the one to tell you this, but Psyche is having an affair with me.

Old 2010-01-17, 2:53am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

I just made my first psyche bead with the above instructions (opal yellow, reduce , encase) and got some cool blue colours. think I reduced to much though....
Old 2010-01-17, 4:12am
Mad about Glass

I always got purple with Psyche over Opal Yellow when I reduced and encased with Lauscha clear. The only problem was the cracking - not always, just sometimes. Since I have been encasing with Aether no cracking but I can't get purple only blue.

[url]

Old 2010-01-17, 4:23am
Gimme that silver glass!

Try Reichenbach 104 clear, it works dreamy and no cracking .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-01-17, 3:52pm
Mad about Glass

Thanks Anouk - I'll have to buy some R104 clear.

[url]

Old 2010-01-17, 4:45pm
Jacqueline Parkes

So are you saying different colors are achieved with different clears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekkie View Post
I always got purple with Psyche over Opal Yellow when I reduced and encased with Lauscha clear. The only problem was the cracking - not always, just sometimes. Since I have been encasing with Aether no cracking but I can't get purple only blue.

Old 2010-01-17, 5:42pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

i used vetrofond and got mostly blue with a little purple. I think I love this glass more than original terra! I just like that it still looks bright and vibrant even when not in bright light!
Old 2010-01-17, 7:16pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
So are you saying different colors are achieved with different clears?
Check out the SE6 exchange thread in the Patio for a whole discussion of Aether changing colors.

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2012-08-13, 7:08am
color bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post

Stop being such a bitch!

This line makes this thread for me. I got some Psyche and I'm scared of it. This doesn't help. lol!
Old 2012-08-13, 7:39am
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder View Post
This line makes this thread for me. I got some Psyche and I'm scared of it. This doesn't help. lol!
Haha, I forgot about this thread. Do not be afraid of the psyche. I now find it very easy to reduce. I do multiple coolings, heatings and reducing. This is how I am able to get different colours from the psyche now.

Old 2012-08-13, 7:41am
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh and I just read my first post. Wow this is an old thread as I am now using a mini cc torch. I am not sure if that made the difference as I no longer have the hothead set up.