Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-08-24, 7:45pm

Thumbs up flameworking outside

Just curious does anybody flamework outside. I have a small storage building but I dont think there is enough room in there and I have an open space under the metal awning between the storage space and my mobile home and was just curious if it might be a possibility to do some flameworking there????

Dale
Old 2007-08-24, 7:57pm

I don't but I know of people who do.
It should be ok as long as there is no wind to puch your flame around.
Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-08-24, 8:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Smeltzer View Post
Just curious does anybody flamework outside. I have a small storage building but I dont think there is enough room in there and I have an open space under the metal awning between the storage space and my mobile home and was just curious if it might be a possibility to do some flameworking there????
Sure, it's possible, if you have the room, and the electrical power. Some things to consider:

1) If there is any wind, even the slightest breeze, it can blow your flame around, and it can also chill your beads.

2) Consistent lighting is very important. You need to be able to see what you are doing. Sometimes, it is too bright outside, other times it's not bright enough.

Otherwise, go for it

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2007-08-24, 8:33pm
Spare Time Designs

Well, the only place I've ever worked so far is outside...so I guess I'm an expert! My area is attached to a shed...so I do have 1 wall, a roof and 4 posts that hold the thing up. The main problem of course are the elements. I am in California so I don't have too many down days in the winter (not too cold out usually), but in the summer I do have alot of HOT days. On the hot days I start really early in the morning and go until I can't take it no more. In the winter, if it's cold out, I'll wait until around noon or so and work in the afternoons.

The wind is a problem too...but I've put up another wall on one side and some shades (mostly to block the sun) so that helps. The OTHER problem I have (but I've controlled it alot since I first started) is spiders, bugs, etc. I am a spider freak, so when I see one I freak out. Last year a looked up and found a Black Widow looking back at me...so that ended my work for the day. I usually spray down the hole area right before spring comes on..and I'm ok for 4 or 5 months (haven't seen any Black Widows). The key is too keep it clean.

All in all, I really like working outside...I'm an "outside" person anyways. Although, now that I am thinking of increasing my work output, I have decided I may move inside to our spare room (I am always wanting to work in the evenings but have no lights outside). I would like to work inside on days that are too hot or cold inside...but geez...I don't want to give up my outside studio either...like I said, I like being outside

I would definitely give it a try outside...it's really not so bad...not bad at all really....and one important thing, you don't have to worry so much about the fumes. Let us know how it works out Anne
Old 2007-08-24, 8:45pm

Default anne where in california

Just curious I am in Selma California
Old 2007-08-24, 8:58pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I think this "forum" may have better answers for you....

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

I work on a 4 foot table in "screen room" on side of mobile home...

Size of studio is relative to space available... If you think about it, you only need a space about 4 feet x 4 feet to have space for you and a simple bench to support torch and tools and some glass , maybe same space as a office desk... If work space is bigger that you can reach at arms length its getting to big and if you have to move away from torch to "get something" you are taking bead out of its hot zone.... Sure big rooms are desirable and a luxury but think about what you are actually doing and amount of space you actually occupy during bead making process... Only critical thing is you have good ventilation...

By the way I think you could build awesome studio in 6 foot by 6 foot metal shed....

I've had a work shop in a 6x8 shed for years. It contains a work bench (2x6 foot) along one wall it also has a 12 drawer cabinet under workbench and space for small air compressor, a 15 drawer rolling tool box in center of back wall and set of storage shelves and a metal lathe along other wall.... Actually standing space in middle is about 3x4 feet so "everything is within arms reach...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-08-24 at 9:12pm.
Old 2007-08-24, 10:53pm

I used to torch in the driveway wearing safety-rated sunglasses (full sun was too bright for didys--and I couldn't see the flame--I found I needed to see the flame to keep track of where it was!) & using a little rolling computer cart for my hothead torch. I dragged everything else inside & out every time I wanted to torch. Did that for a couple years--so yes, it's *totally* possible.
(and I'm in Maine!!!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2007-08-25 at 5:37am.
Old 2007-08-25, 12:10am
Channeling Chaos

i have been torching outside for a few months now. We had a "screen room" off our back deck. My DH put some corrugated fiberglass sliders around the sides to keep out the wind and cut out the glare (not clear but opaque fiberglass).

I have lots of room and most of the year it is great. Can get a little cool during part of the winter, but I am sure I will find a way to make it work.

I know what you mean about spiders, but for the most part it has not been too bad.
Alana
Old 2007-08-25, 10:37am
Glass-aholic

i torch outside at the flea market! it's fun! except for the wind!!!!! just have a way of picking up glass pieces! it's not fun to find them in your lawn lol.
________
BUY GLASS PIPES

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-17 at 8:11pm.
Old 2012-08-07, 7:19am

So I am torching outside at Festivals but having so much trouble seeing the flame with my Didy glasses. What glasses are best for working outside in the open? Boro glasses? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 2012-08-07, 12:18pm

I have been torching on my old hothead at art shows since spring. Most of the time I can't see my flame and did find it a couple of times with my hand. Did learn though, only took twice! The wind blows the flame. I put my beads into a coffee container filled with annealing bubbles and batch anneal. Works great! Before I had my set-up in the house, I did it in our garage with the big door open.
Old 2012-08-07, 4:44pm

I u sed to use welding goggles to torch because I already had them; #5 was quite dark, would probably work well outdoors. Also, a dark table makes the flame more visible. I spray painted my cement-board table, but you could use dark tiles or something.
Lee
Old 2012-08-07, 4:55pm

The new Wale SB's are good for outdoor. I torch in my carport (open 3 sides) and find I can see the flame much better in natural light than I could with the didys ....
Old 2012-08-08, 11:21am

I demo outside when doing Faires and find the morning is the most difficult time to see the flame. Other than the wind shift, that is the most noticeable difference for me. I did heave to learn how to torch and talk in Rennie speak at the same time - kinda like rubbing your head and patting your stomach at the same time.

Beaded Chic

Old 2012-08-10, 6:47pm
It's about having fun!

I have an indoor studio but I still prefer being outside. Some days are better than others. I'm under a covered patio, I have a little red cart from Harbor Freight that I roll in and out of the garage. I love it outside. In the summer I'm inside but it's just not as much fun!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-08-11, 11:06am
No Longer an LE Member

Always outside - ventilation is only concern but heavy duty fan works good, sometimes breezy and always in shade it works for me
Old 2012-08-11, 2:55pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I've done demos outside and I just wanted to add a reminder that if you are using oxy tanks, like welders do, then they need to be secured so there is not possibility of the "green rocket" happening. I like my oxy concentrator. It's a re-manufactured 15 LPM by Oxy Doc.
Old 2012-08-14, 4:54pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadedChic View Post
I demo outside when doing Faires and find the morning is the most difficult time to see the flame. Other than the wind shift, that is the most noticeable difference for me. I did heave to learn how to torch and talk in Rennie speak at the same time - kinda like rubbing your head and patting your stomach at the same time.

~
~

#M-191