Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-05-28, 4:56am

Thank you De for such a loving tutorial.

We are approaching the 4th year date that our first grand-daught passed away. Last weekend would have been her 5th birthday. When I first said something to my son about doing this ... he looked at me like I had 3 heads ... but a few minutes later he was asking me if I could do it specifically like a pumpkin ('cause he always called her his lil pumpkin).

Sooo ... with the help of your tutorial, I will be attempting to do this for him and myself. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing it with us. Even tho all may not agree with it, you have been so compassioniate in helping all of us with the continuing journey in the loss of our loved ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-07, 7:29am
Torch Singer

Default Broken beads? How do you deal?

De - many thanks for this tutorial. I was recently asked to make three sets of memorial beads for a friend and this helped immensely.

I did come across one problem and this is how I solved it. I had problems with two of the beads - one cracked (thermal) and one got stuck on the mandral so badly that it broke during my attempts to get it off. I could not simply throw the broken beads in the garbage, so I reheated all the bits and pieces in the kiln and dunked them in cold water for instant frit. I drained the frit through a coffee filter, let it dry and put it in a pretty little bag to return to my friend along with the completed beads.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions that anyone may have to deal with this problem.
Old 2010-06-07, 7:43am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamscapes Studio View Post
Thank you De for such a loving tutorial.

We are approaching the 4th year date that our first grand-daught passed away. Last weekend would have been her 5th birthday. When I first said something to my son about doing this ... he looked at me like I had 3 heads ... but a few minutes later he was asking me if I could do it specifically like a pumpkin ('cause he always called her his lil pumpkin).

Sooo ... with the help of your tutorial, I will be attempting to do this for him and myself. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing it with us. Even tho all may not agree with it, you have been so compassioniate in helping all of us with the continuing journey in the loss of our loved ones.
Aw, Dreams....I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. Dealing with the loss of a child is something I don't think any parent is ever prepared for. Bless your son and you for carrying on and for you being so thoughtful to honor her memory in this way.

If you feel comfortable doing so, I'd love to see what you come up with.

Hugs to you and your family.
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-06-07, 7:54am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'lis View Post
De - many thanks for this tutorial. I was recently asked to make three sets of memorial beads for a friend and this helped immensely.

I did come across one problem and this is how I solved it. I had problems with two of the beads - one cracked (thermal) and one got stuck on the mandral so badly that it broke during my attempts to get it off. I could not simply throw the broken beads in the garbage, so I reheated all the bits and pieces in the kiln and dunked them in cold water for instant frit. I drained the frit through a coffee filter, let it dry and put it in a pretty little bag to return to my friend along with the completed beads.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions that anyone may have to deal with this problem.
Hi M'lis~

Sorry you found yourself with this little dilemma; I've not had it happen (yet!) but I suppose there are many things you could do to insure that you used the broken beads in a manner that made you and/or your customer happy...and I applaud you for not simply tossing them. That would definitely make ME feel a bit uncomfortable too. Here's some ideas that just popped into my head:

* Create a "vessel" and put the frit into it. Be sure it had a little handle that would allow you to string it onto a chain and wear it as a pendant; seal it with a small cork or glass "plug" which could be epoxied into place for a permanent seal. Even add some CZ's to give it a bit of sparkle and intrigue.

* Use the frit to make a stringer, and add this back into a bead. Look at the gorgeous beads Elise made...and she includes instructions and everything to make the frit stringers in this thread: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...89#post3062489

* You could also use the cremains frit like you would any other frit, creating another base bead and rolling it in topically.

Hope these suggestions help a bit, and I hope if you too feel comfortable doing so, you'll show us how things turned out.

Thanks for doing such a nice thing for your friend.

Hugs,
De

Old 2010-06-14, 9:11am

I have been making beads with cremains for several years. A friend asked me to make some with her Dad's cremains, then told a friend who told a friend, etc.

I have a couple of tips that I haven't seen in the posts. I always sift the cremains so I get only the smallest pieces (almost dust). Then only use a very small amount. I have started using transparent glass, as you can see the cremains in it and people seem to really like that. The smallest amount will look like a lot with the magnification of the glass.

I always suggest that people make a suncatcher with them, as I found so many people didn't know what to do with them and left them in a jewelry box or something. Some people use them in jewelry.

Cracked beads are often a problem. I give them back to the people in a separate bag and suggest using them for a stepping stone for the garden or other mosaic project.

I have the cremains of three beloved dogs we have lost over the past 5 years. Someday I will have time to memorialize them. I think I am procrastinating because I've never made beads from the cremains of someone I've actually known. It is going to be difficult.
Old 2010-07-13, 12:47pm
Tweedle Dumb

Hey De! Thanks for the great tutorial. I just created my first memorial beads for my uncle's dog, Tana.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-07-14, 11:08pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, Jamie Lynne, they're beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing them here, and my condolences to your Uncle. Tana surely must have been a wonderful companion and you're an angel to memorialize her this way.

Hugs,
De

Old 2011-08-04, 6:52am

Thanks, De, my BIL's dog is very ill with cancer. We took him to the cabin at the lake this weekend past so he could swim. When he does go they are cremating him. I'd like to suggest doing this for my SIL, but not sure how to go about it. Maybe I'll mention it and see if she's receptive. It is such a loving tribute. CC

Old 2011-08-04, 11:09am
I'd rather be torching.

Nice Tutorial De. Thank you for being brave enough to give instructions! It is nice to be able to use our talent to create such meaningful objects.

I have been creating memory beads for several years now. It is tough to make them when you know, or even when you don't know, the person.

People like to have something tangible to touch when they lose a loved one.

One request was for 13 beads for a daughter who was violently killed. They were to be given to all the family members. There were a couple of beads that did not lay right, so those were just given to the Mother.

Making those beads was harder than I expected. The Mother was so happy with them, it made up for all the tears I shed when making them.

Here is a picture of the bead I made for my cousin, with my grandfather's ashes. I didn't take a picture of the one I made for my grandmother. Her heart was made with greens.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.
~Twyla Tharp
I know where I am. I've been lost here before.
Old 2011-08-09, 9:44pm
I speak Murrini!

Aw, Leigh...thanks so much for sharing! I think your beads are just wonderful, and my God - you must have had such a strong commitment and constitution to complete the set for the family of the tragically lost girl. I may have not been able to do it, or at least without crying a river! But good for you and them...

Warm hugs...
De

Old 2011-09-19, 7:53pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I don't know if I'd be able to make a bead with the remains of a loved one, but I love the idea.

Old 2011-12-07, 9:30am
Bead semi-newbie

what is the link to the tut for making creamins beads, i have to get them done in the next 3 days! thankfully you are all here. sara
LOVE silver glass
Old 2011-12-07, 9:46am
Bead semi-newbie

sorry to bother people, i just found the tut on page 1, i guess my searching took me in belowthe tut.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-08-10, 8:59am
color bomb

I saw this a couple years ago and wondered why anyone would want beads with cremains in them. Yesterday, I was driving with my husband and it occurred to me that I could use ashes from my dad (who passed less than a month ago) and make beads for my family. Everyone I've asked has responded with enthusiasm. So glad I remember coming across this.
Old 2012-08-10, 9:22am
I speak Murrini!

Awww, thanks for the bump Cinder! Sorry about your Dad But I think your idea is wonderful and courageous! If you need any help, just give a HOLLER!

I have been asked to do some beads for my co-worker's family...they will have her Dad in them too. She's asked for "ocean" theme, as he apparently loved the ocean and they will be doing a burial-at-sea ceremony mid-September. If she gives me the OK, I will post photos so you can see how they come out...I'll be using Aqua, Clear, and I think a few Clown Fish murrini might be in order too...

Hugs everyone!
De

Old 2012-08-10, 11:06am

De rocks!

She has helped me so much.

I am making the memorial beads for my friends and they are so oooooo happy with them.

I have two that I just did and trying to figure out how to make a sun-catcher. (A jewelry artist, I am not).

I would love to see what others are doing. De the ocean theme sounds wonderful.
Cherri
Old 2012-08-10, 11:12am
Bead semi-newbie

a couple of important issues i must have learned from LE and then making about 10 of them: always wear a dust mask when moving them from container to container, most important for people getting your small bit out of the main container. you get a wicked sore throat later without a mask. the cremains have to be stuck to a really hot base bead and then immediately encased, they will burn in the flame and look strange unless you get them covered. if you get the bead too hot with the cremains inside, the cremains will boil ??causing a lot of small bubbles. Maybe the bubbles are a nice effect, maybe yes maybe no. i have started offering this service lately and have had no takers. when people hear about it they swear they will be over tomorrow but not one has panned out. thought somehow it would be a good thing and at first thought they seem really interested.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-08-10, 5:27pm

This is just one of the things I love about all of you glassy folks. Never in my life have I seen so many who are so willing to share their knowledge and give so generously of their time. I am grateful to follow along in your footsteps.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-12-27, 2:35pm
New Lampworker

Thank you so very much De. Your tutorial was so thoughtfully written on a very sensitive issue. Now I know what to do when my own beloved pet passes on. I have been dreading that day. I might, also do this for others eventually. I can't thank you enough for sharing. I know you dreaded the possibility of getting some negative messages, but you have received almost none! Have a wonderful New Year!
Old 2012-12-30, 1:07am
I speak Murrini!

What a kind post Shirlannd. I really appreciate it, and a safe and happy new year to you and all my LE friends.

Old 2013-01-01, 8:09pm

I wanted to add another thank you to the ones already posted. I remembered reading this tutorial a couple of years ago, and now I'm to make some cremain beads with my friend's cat's ashes. I'm kind of nervous, but after reading through this, again, I'm sure it will go fine. If it does, I'm supposed to make some with my husband's grandfather's ashes. REALLY nervous about that one.
Old 2013-01-02, 11:14am
Bead semi-newbie

with the cremains: less is more, don't get the bead too hot the cremains will boil and travel to the surface on the tops of the bubbles thus requiring spot encasement where they break the surface, these are the biggest hints
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-03-23, 10:50am
Lover of all things color

So glad I found this one again De. Just lost my little Westie and had her cremated. Now I can keep some of her in bead form.
{{{hugs}}}
Jan

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2013-04-02, 10:18pm
Ad astra per aspera

Thank you so much for posting this! I had a request from an SCA friend of mine to make beads for her husband and SIL for cremains of their mom. I was nervous about the idea at first, until I read this tutorial. I just accepted their request thanks to you!

Old 2013-04-21, 8:20am
Lava Maker

Thank you for your tutorial.

Ann DeHoff
Old 2013-04-21, 9:11am
I speak Murrini!

Hi my LE friends...

Sorry I've been kinda absent for a while - been CRAZY BUSY at work! I'm so glad to see that this Tutorial is still helping people...

I'd love to see beads too, if you feel comfortable posting them

Hugs and peace to you...
De

Old 2013-05-22, 6:01am

I have to add my own experiences and thoughts....
First off thank you Everyone for all the tips, hints and helpful encouragement.
I am very new to this hobby/art so everything helps.

In "real life" I am a veterinarian, so I have even a different perspective on the memory beads. I think they are fabulous and so does everyone I have spoke with at work and the local company who does our pet cremation. In fact, I have requests from almost everyone at work.

My funny dilemma is, I'm still considering myself a newbie. (You really have to find humor in some situations) I need to practice.....see where I'm going with this? So I have been using one of clinic cat's ashes to practice. She was shared and loved by all and as all clinic pets "served and worked" at the clinic..... so we felt it appropriate for her to continue to "work". Everyone is getting a bead to remember her by too.

I hope that y'all continue to provide your loved ones both here and gone with such wonderful reminders. Thank you again

Kristin
Old 2014-05-28, 3:48pm
Got Honey?

I wanted to post these so you can see them De. Thanks so much for this wonderful tut

A pocket token the size of a penny with no ash showing. A transparent pendant with ash showing and a pet memorial vessel.
Attached Images

Old 2014-05-28, 4:46pm
I speak Murrini!

Absolutely WONDERFUL!

Old 2014-06-06, 11:23am
Got Honey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Absolutely WONDERFUL!
Thanks