No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-21, 5:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
There are a lot of us here, Jim, who know exactly what we are working with and why and when they are dangerous. I think all they were trying to find out is why there was not the normal orange/turquoise reaction that is normally had.
Pam, That statement was not intended to diminish the knowledge of lampworkers on this board. I am a newbie and only know glass colorants and materials through the stained glassand pottery industry. It is the same soda/lime glass. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here and have learned what little I know about lampworking from being a lurker here. If I stay on the board, I know I will have to pick your brains for much.
Have a good evening, Jim
Old 2009-01-21, 5:27pm
It's all about the color.

Good reasons for everyone to be sure to have/use adequate ventilation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-21, 5:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post
Good reasons for everyone to be sure to have/use adequate ventilation.
think we should stop licking the beads?

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-21, 5:53pm

I think that you'll find a lot more lead in lampworking glass than some might expect. It's fairly common in reduction glass and frit. Calcium and potassium are both common in the fluxes.

Robert

Last edited by RSimmons; 2009-01-21 at 5:54pm. Reason: Left something out
Old 2009-01-21, 6:18pm
yukue fumei

ooh...I think I need that metallic black LOL!

nagi

Old 2009-01-21, 6:33pm

Very nice work, Natasha, and helpful to see what this glass does. I would be very interested to know that the metal in the black glass is.

Robert
Old 2009-01-21, 6:44pm
I'm a lilac!

For some reason I had thought BE was made without lead... maybe I was thinking of something else.

Amazing how fast the knowledge dissipates when I am no longer using it on a daily basis!

Old 2009-01-21, 6:49pm

hmmm. I like the bubbles. I go through a great deal of effort to get lots of bubbles. thinking more now...

Old 2009-01-21, 7:00pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
Orange - Cadmium sulfide + selenium (selenium like cadmium sulfide is a known carcinogen and should be handled very carefully) It is a very tricky color.
Before another thread starts on the dangers of this, when it is heated in the crucibal during the manufacturing of the glass, the molecular structure is changed.
You don't want to know what is in the rest of the glass you are working with.
Jim
don't worry - I'm not concerned - I was just amazed/curious .

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-21, 7:00pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
There are a lot of us here, Jim, who know exactly what we are working with and why and when they are dangerous. I think all they were trying to find out is why there was not the normal orange/turquoise reaction that is normally had.
yes, thank you!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-01-21, 7:03pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Natasha - what is that middle set made out of? I love that color.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-01-21, 7:17pm
yukue fumei

LOL!!
see how long my "holding out" lasted?....what amazing will power....oy vey.....
I'm going to try this glass out....

nagi

Old 2009-01-21, 7:23pm
yukue fumei

ooh....what color is that?

nagi

Old 2009-01-21, 7:30pm
Devardi Glass

That is a semi-opaque marine with a light blue trans coating. There's some of our luster frit in there (which may be adventurine glass frit after all). I am checking on it.
Old 2009-01-21, 7:33pm

Smile Devardi glass is great

I am pleased with the way it works and the colors i ordered were great.
Really bright.
I have used moretti now for about 4 years and thay have a tendancy to fracture if put straight in flame.
I take the rods and work in out of flame15 to 30 seconds and melt, very little shock, no more than moretti.
I made several marbles from 5/8 to 1 1/4 inches annealled all night and never lost any.
I have not had a chance to mix the two glasses.
I did mix 4 colors togeather and no cracks when done.
Natasha put everything up front on what to exspect and has emailed me back and answered all my questions.
Shipping was fast also.
I give them 5 stars for all they have done for me.
I am getting ready to make annother order.
Thanks
Marblemike
Cordell,Ok.
Old 2009-01-21, 7:37pm
yukue fumei

WOW--another new member--Welcome Mike!

I wanna see pictures, please! I make marbles too.....mostly boro though...
anyhoo, I love marbles and would love to see them!

nagi

Old 2009-01-21, 7:50pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I can't wait to get my glass! I ordered last week. I am getting the salmon and the metallic black. Yay! I can't remember what else I got.
I think I got some butter too. It looked similar to darker opal yellow in the picture. If this glass is deeply color saturated I will be very happy.
I use a lot of twisties with transparents over white, and stretch them out, and it's hard to keep the color from fading to white with effetre
and vetrofond, even though I always use the darkest transparents. I am really looking forward to getting my glass! I will post pictures
once I get it and play with it. Thanks Natasha!

Kelly

Old 2009-01-21, 7:53pm
Devardi Glass

You're so welcome, Kelly. Thank you very much! Natasha
Old 2009-01-21, 8:03pm
yukue fumei

question for you Natasha-
how does one figure out what number corresponds to what name color?
Like for number 6 on the chart--what is the name of that glass?
Will the rods be labeled with numbers?
thank you!

nagi

Old 2009-01-21, 8:05pm

Awww, I wish I had ordered that color too!!! I don't remember seeing it on ebay. If I had, I would have nabbed it in a second!
I think I got some transparent marine to try though. When I first started lampworking, I took my first trip to C&R Loo and I was
enchanted with the translucent alabasters and opalinos. I bought a bunch of a color that was similar to that. I didn't realize how
awful they were to work with at the time. I hope the Devardi is easier to work with!

Old 2009-01-21, 8:15pm
Just me

The semi-opaques I used (4 different colors) were easy to work with and are similar looking to the opalinos and alabastros. So far I like them the best, they have kind of an inner glow. Tough to describe.

Old 2009-01-21, 8:32pm

I think you should use both. Really, because it's hard sometimes to see from a photograph what the color is. On my monitor,
it was hard to tell the difference between Bubby's amethyst bead and the amber bead. I have a much harder time memorizing
color numbers than I do names for when I want to reorder something. We can help you name them if you want!!

Old 2009-01-21, 8:35pm
Devardi Glass

That might be cool!!!
Old 2009-01-21, 8:38pm
Wahwahbabypants

....naming contest???

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-01-21, 8:52pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyangel View Post
Exactly Bubby. Really hard to describe. They have a soft depth you really need to see.

Nagi, the names are our own doing. The next order will have so many colors, we won't be using names. It is too confusing. We are going back to numbers.
cool! I can't wait to try 6, 15 and 58....and the semi opaques too..

nagi

Old 2009-01-21, 8:54pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcb View Post
....naming contest???
that's alot of names....

nagi

Old 2009-01-21, 10:43pm
Trying to Hope!

you guys are gonna make me order more glass

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2009-01-21, 11:05pm
Fire Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbyanne View Post
The semi-opaques I used (4 different colors) were easy to work with and are similar looking to the opalinos and alabastros. So far I like them the best, they have kind of an inner glow. Tough to describe.
Oooh...I love opalinos.
I may have to save my pennies and try these

Old 2009-01-21, 11:30pm
Just me

LOL! Well you won't have to save too many at 6.99/lb.
I'd ask them to put an assortment together for you.
They did one with their black colors for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
Oooh...I love opalinos.
I may have to save my pennies and try these

Old 2009-01-22, 12:04am
And silence is golden

Natasha,

I'm curious about the Purple Transparent. Is it like the Moretti Amethyst? Lauscha Purple? Or is it as scrumptious as the picture shows?!

Tags
devardi, missing posts?