Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2008-10-13, 6:08pm

Default Critique please.........

I've built my own site and I'm proud of how user friendly and simple it it....
Question - it seems everyone's site is alot more complicated and more expensive to operate and set up. I find it easy enough to update whenever I want and still maintain simplicity online...
My daughter is legally blind and I've tried to make the site easier for visually impaired because I think thats important...

How much does this type of "confine" affect the WWW?

Does this really make a difference in sales and what are the differences.

Love to hear your comments....

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint you can on it!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-14, 6:22am
Mary Lockwood

Hi!

I checked out your site and I do like how easy it is to navigate. I'm not one for frills and flashy stuff on a website either. It also looks easy to update, which is a huge time saver.

My only constructive criticism would be that your picture files are ginormous and took a really long time to load.

For example, you have one picture that is scaled down to 175pixels by 175 pixels...but the actual picture size is almost 700 pixels and the file size is 250kb! If I'm waiting for 250kb to load...I want to see the whole 700 pixel image, not the scaled down version.

I understand what you are trying to do...you want a thumbnail, then you click the thumbnail to see the larger image. You need to have two separate files for this so that people actually have a benefit to the loading time of your pages. You put the smaller (less than 50kb) image on your product page, then you link it to the larger image so that all those huge images don't have to load as soon as you open the page. I know in this age of high speed internet, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but there are still lots of people on dial-up and they are not going to wait for those pictures.

Especially since you don't have them set to be clickable to open the larger image. All a shopper ever gets to see is the smaller 175 pixel image, but they've waited the full time for the 700 pixel image to load.

I did some research years ago when I was building my first site and it said internet browsers (the people, not software lol) have very small attention spans. They will allow about 15 seconds for your page to load before they start getting impatient or even click away.

Good luck with your site, it works really well! The huge picture files were the only substance issue I found. You have a link to your home page on every page of the site, you have email links on every page for people to contact you. It has continuity, even though you used a different background color for each page, it works because of the rainbow colors in your banner. Looks great!

Hope that helps!
~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-31, 3:30am
Mom to 20 paws

Hi there,

I think you did a really good job. I agree with Moth about the pics. I think it is wonderful what you have done keeping the seeing impaired in mind. Perhaps you could state why you have gone to such large pictures and for people to be patient.

It was very easy to navigate, a definate plus also. You should be proud of yourself.

Jen

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-