Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2011-04-26, 4:13pm

Default Flash site Opinions

OK here goes, I started a new web site using Flash. It is a bit flashy (no pun intended) but I know some flash sites can be slow, but I did want to try it out. I dont want to borrow trouble but please tell me your opinions of the site. I know I need to work more on my photo taking skills. Thanks and please be kind.
Old 2011-04-26, 4:19pm

SSSooooo .... where is the link to your site?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LynieG
Old 2011-04-26, 4:47pm
Queen Tut ;)

I was all ready to click.... you tease!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-26, 5:04pm

oops sorry

www.docrobertsglassworks.com
Old 2011-04-26, 5:18pm
Feminist Killjoy

It loads very slow for me. I too have started making a flash site, but this has me reconsidering. If I were you, I'd reduce the number of animated items and see if that helps. I'd remove the animation from.. 1. The buttons across the top (appearing one by one..too slow) 2. the circles that appear around the top and left side buttons when moused over 3. Maybe even the animated line below the main title. .. I do like the smoke and the two torch flames, so those would be the two main focals I'd keep.
Old 2011-04-26, 7:28pm
Queen Tut ;)

It loads very slowly for me as well. The content is nice but navigation is a little confusing. Having both vertical and horizontal options, along with the drop down menus....lost me a little.

Hope that helps!

Old 2011-04-26, 10:33pm

Thanks for all the help. Using wix as a host for a flash website might not be the answer. I might try dreamweaver to create an embedded site with flash content.
Old 2011-04-27, 5:32am
ManBearPig

There is a lot of stuff on your site that could be done in CSS or Javascript and would really decrease the page load time. It loads very slowly and the navigation works pretty slowly as well.

Old 2011-08-05, 11:08pm

It did load very slowly for me too, there is too much going on there and it slows my computer down a lot. But don't get discouraged by this, Flash is a great tool, i build all my sites with flash including www.magmabeads.com.

But i tend to keep everything simple, the reason i love flash is because all the pages flow together with no loading, and its fantastic for a picture gallery.

Simplify it a little and it will be great

Magma Beads .

Old 2011-08-06, 8:52pm
Storm Queen

Don't be offended but I hate flash sites. I usually can't stay on them very long because I just can't stand stuff moving around, sliding over from the side and popping open or down. I really do like the smoke on the edges but the moving...whatever the green is on the left and the flame across the top take away from it. It loaded fairly slow for me too.

Old 2011-08-06, 9:57pm

What's the purpose behind using flash? Are you trying to show off your beads or your skills as a flash developer?

Who is your audience? I don't really get your flash intro and how it pertains to your beads.

I agree with Amy though, flash is not on my top ten list - I'm one of those who will click through an intro - give me the meat, I got places to be, people to see, shopping to do.

Dori
Old 2011-08-08, 9:15am
ManBearPig

Sites should never be built in flash. If you MUST use flash elements, use them sparingly, but never use flash as a substitute for HTML/CSS.

Old 2011-08-08, 12:49pm
Uh Oh....

I don't like flash websites either. Not just yours, all flash websites. They take too long to load and there's just too much movement. I don't like music either. It's okay when used sparingly but a whole website, it's just too much.

Old 2011-08-10, 2:45am
Unmedicated since '62

I'm using flash for a site because it's the look I wanted, but it's at minimum - I hate sites full of music and moving objects, it distracts from the content

I've built it from a template and I must admit my first big job is to take out half the spinning, whirling and juggling bits

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-08-10, 11:34pm

If you want a flash site one place you want to check out is

http://www.wix.com/

I have played around with it and it is easy to use and has some cool options.

It's not the Camera that takes the photo, it's the photographer.
Old 2011-08-11, 11:39am

Thanks for starting this thread!

I too went to your site just to see what the load times would be and even on a 4 gig memory machine - it loads slow.... I think some of flash is also dependant on net traffic when loading so that will also affect performance. I know some people still on xp machines or earlier - I still have a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows ME so when desgining a site - I have always been told to design for the slowest machine out there - and if that's true then that kills doing anything in flash.

I have had my website for almost 8 years now and it pretty much looks the same now as it did when I started it.

I too have been thinking about migrating to flash and changing out the slide show on the index page of my site with a flash 3d carousel but now based on the comments here - am reluctant to put all the work into it to make it work if it slows down my site. I thought about the 3d carousel simply to clean up the front page a bit. Now I'm torn on what to do or just leave it the same after 8 years.... www.nevadaglassworks.com

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2011-08-11 at 11:56am.
Old 2011-08-11, 11:26pm

In some research for my job, I came across this website, and in particular, this article about website development and flash -

http://www.crmtrends.com/ecrm.html#baw
Old 2011-08-13, 7:08am
Crazy Snake Lady

I work in website development and I can tell you that companies are moving away from flash in droves. It's slow, there are problems with browsers and compatibility, and visitors don't like it!

Using it within your site here and there is fine but not the entire site. If you go that route, make sure you offer an HTML option as well.

Just another opinion for what it's worth...
Old 2011-08-13, 7:10am
Who me?

Both of my sons are programers and web developers. They contend that it's a poor programer who can't make a decent site without flash....iPad doesn't work with flash.
Old 2011-08-23, 4:13pm

I must be the only one that loves flash

My site is made with flash only, but nothing moves around like crazy, the thing i love about it is the smooth transitions and the picture gallery. You never have to change pages, everything just flows.

Flash doesn't mean crazy movement everywhere, for me it just means smooth transitions.

Magma Beads .

Old 2012-03-28, 4:39am

I love flash to and its easy to use, and it does transition better. However it is slow for most people who want to see fast loading pages. I did decide to change it up a bit and use CSS and html. thanks for all the comments.
Old 2012-03-28, 4:51am
Who me?

Dup post

Last edited by swamper; 2012-03-28 at 6:17am.
Old 2012-03-28, 5:30am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Yes, I hate flash sites as it cannot be seen on iPad.
Also, it tends to be very slow at loading.

CSS have great features that are making excellent websites.

I would drop the Flash.. And Dreamweaver is an easy software, very ''idiot proof''!

Old 2012-03-30, 10:46am

There are quite a number of ipad/iphone users out there and flash does not and will never work on the ipad. I think this is a factore that should be considered.