Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2012-02-17, 5:27am
Serenity Now!

Default Image sizing and re-sizing woes... your help appreciated!

Can someone please help? I'd like to know what the <definitive> size should be for uploaded pics. I've tried to size by dimension, by pixel size, by resolution, but no matter what - it seems my pics aren't appropriate for the places I want to upload 'em to.

As an example, I had a pic today, resolution 72, px was 500 on the largest side. It uploaded fine to my website, was a smidge too big for LE, and wasn't large enough for Etsy.

Aaargggh. I feel like I'm going to go bonkers with this, and am wondering if there - per chance to dream - might be some magical 'thing' - some wonderful set of values that will work across all places.

Thanks very much!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-17, 4:42pm

Was it in .jpg format and what was the file size. You can a small image but a large file size. When you save in .jpg you are given the option to select the quality. The higher the quality, the more information in the image and the larger the file. For web viewing, you can take it down to about 6 quality and not really throw away enough information to make a difference... if the image is properly lit, focused and color balanced.

Using CS2 Photoshop, I size my image at about 650 or so on the longest side, change it to sRGB and then do a Save for Web with a quality of 7 or 8. This gives me a fairly compact file size. I also put most of my images on my own web site and then link to them. That way I don't have to worry about taking up disk space on the forum's server nor bandwidth.

So when you get a file ready to upload, you need to look at image dimensions, file size and resolution.

Mike
Old 2012-02-17, 6:03pm
Feminist Killjoy

I tend to make different sized images for different places. Etsy's standard size is now 570x570. But I find that that size is a little too large (Actual size wise, not px wise) for LE and takes up a lot of space. I have a separate folder for forum pics that I've sized down to about 300px and of course, I choose a lower quality setting to make sure it's under LE's 80px maximum.
Old 2012-02-18, 1:18pm
Serenity Now!

So, alas, it seems there is no 'magic' combination that works across all venues. Thanks Mike and Annie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-19, 12:48am
I'm kinda biz-EE

For LE I do low res (as low as I can get it ans still keep the photo decent to shrink the file size) and no bigger than 450 in width or height.

Etsy wants at least 600 x 600. Square is best because that lines up the preview photo to best advantage in your listings. HTH!

Old 2012-02-19, 3:27am
Unmedicated since '62

I use photoshops "save for web" feature and change te longest side to 400px - works for anywhere

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-02-19, 8:17am
Loving learning

Just mentioning that for me & my eyes, the bigger the better, or at least the tightest crops if the pictures are smaller. I love having the bead so that I can actually see the details!
Old 2012-02-19, 9:01am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
I use photoshops "save for web" feature and change te longest side to 400px - works for anywhere
Ooo, I haven't even tried that, thanks for the heads up!

Old 2012-02-19, 9:04am
Critter Mom

Last time I noticed, Etsy was asking for photos to be square and 1000 pixels...so since I sell primarily on Etsy I make all my photos 1200 x 1200 pixels and the resolution is 390.

If I want to post to LE I just resize the photo down to 400 x 400 pixels.

I store all my photos on a My Book hard drive.

Old 2012-02-20, 5:43pm
Serenity Now!

Thanks for everyone's input!