Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-03, 4:58pm

Question Propane regulator checking?

I have a question about propane regulators. Obviously I want to have my propane tank outside, so do I have to go outside and check it regularly? I have to go outside and check it before every session? Is this a set it and forget it situation?

I wanted a way to have the regulator inside but the tank outside, but it seems that this is not possible.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 2012-12-03, 5:51pm
Loving learning

Lots of good information about this question, here is one thread for example:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...58#post4105758

I have mine at the tank, and it gets turned off at the end of every session, first the tank, then burn out the line & turn off the regulator.

Hope this helps!
Old 2012-12-05, 12:43pm

Hmm... I guess i'm confused as to how this will work with my studio being upstairs, and the propane being downstairs in the back yard. It sounds like a major pain in the can, unless I'm misunderstanding something... Does anyone else have a setup like this?
Old 2012-12-05, 1:43pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

I am a bit cavalier about my setup. I have the propane tank in a plastic tool box along side the studio. The regulator is on the tank. I have hard pipe bringing the propane into the studio through the wall and a shut off valve on the inside. Then hose to the manifold and torches. I open the propane tank valve when I start to torch and close it after the session. I often do not bleed off or burn off the propane in the line.
With some extra precautions you can bring the regulator inside but for me it is not necessary since I have to walk by the propane storage box comming and going from the studio anyway. I never change the regulator setting and it has always been OK but I watch it as the presure builds when I open the valve for each session. There is always a few psi of drop. I watch for the regulator to 'catch' the pressure and hold it.
PJH
Old 2012-12-06, 7:09am
Glass-aholic

I ran a line from the tank inside and then attached the regulator, and then had it go to the hose to the torch. I had to bring the regulator to the welding supply shop so they could put in a different fitting on the end of the regulator to fit the hose.

If you bleed the line there should be no need to shut off the regulator, and it will save you time finding the right spot when you turn it on, unless you are disconnecting your tank, (which will reset the regulator anyways)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-12-06, 7:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
I am a bit cavalier about my setup. I have the propane tank in a plastic tool box along side the studio. The regulator is on the tank. I have hard pipe bringing the propane into the studio through the wall and a shut off valve on the inside. Then hose to the manifold and torches. I open the propane tank valve when I start to torch and close it after the session. I often do not bleed off or burn off the propane in the line.
With some extra precautions you can bring the regulator inside but for me it is not necessary since I have to walk by the propane storage box comming and going from the studio anyway. I never change the regulator setting and it has always been OK but I watch it as the presure builds when I open the valve for each session. There is always a few psi of drop. I watch for the regulator to 'catch' the pressure and hold it.
PJH
My setup is almost identical to yours except I don't have a manifold, just a Y connector if there's an extra torch on. I run it pretty much the same way.

Robert
Old 2012-12-06, 8:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I ran a line from the tank inside and then attached the regulator, and then had it go to the hose to the torch. I had to bring the regulator to the welding supply shop so they could put in a different fitting on the end of the regulator to fit the hose.

If you bleed the line there should be no need to shut off the regulator, and it will save you time finding the right spot when you turn it on, unless you are disconnecting your tank, (which will reset the regulator anyways)
I was told that this was not a good idea, due to the pressure in the hose coming directly from the tank. (Since the pressure would be equal to the pressure in the tank, I.e. HIGH). Is there a special type of hose or pipe that used to do this? Is length limited?

Thanks again for everyone's help
Old 2012-12-06, 9:13am
Glass-aholic

The same kind of hose is used without a regulator in many situations, (and on a Hot Head on a regular basis) so I don't see how the hose would be damaged. Just remember line safety, bleed your lines, and soap check every so often. If you are questioning any part, ask the guys at the local welding supply shop. They are usually very helpful, if they aren't, find another shop, or a local welder. They have been using hoses , gas and setting things on fire safely for years lol!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-12-06, 3:23pm
Alaska Boro

Check your local building codes to see what pressures are allowed through a building wall. Many require black pipe with a maximum pressure to not exceed 10 psi.

Tags
maintenance, propane, regulator, safety