Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-10-05, 12:15am
The Crazy One

Default Confessions of an Oxygen Ho who’s lusting for liquid O2

I had my O2 tanks before I had a torch. I thought I was smart when I picked out two tanks from the many my Father had. I now have four tanks. I’m not sure what their designation is but they are 56 inches tall (to the top of the valve).

I cracked a freshy today and blew through 2/3 of it on my WildCat using 104 coe. I will admit I wasn’t overly productive, but I had fun. When I picked up my tanks I noticed that they had some liquid tanks with wheels. It was instant lust!

Why am I putzing around with tanks and would liquid be the way to go for me? I have the WildCat and can blow through a tank in two days in high production when I’m careful about the O2. Additionally I have a CC and can suck a tank dry in half a day. I have cross fired both torches (don’t ask why, it made sense at the time!) and didn’t even bother looking at usage.

The size of the wheeled lox is a 235 and delivered would be a bit under 150.00, tanks are 15.00 per fill. I am in a residential neighborhood, but I have checked with the city fire department and after a few days of consideration they said yup, its OK to have.

Soooooooo can I use the same regulator as the tanks?

If I choose could I vent it to prevent a “nonscheduled” venting? In other words vent that sucker during the day rather than have it go off at night! I’ve done a little research and found out about the "Economizer Screw” and on some dewers there are knobs rather than a screw. . .

If I take a picture of the sucker next time I exchange my tanks could you tell me if it’s a screw or knob type?

My thoughts are that if I had the lox I could work to my hearts content rather than budget my O2. Therefore up my production…….. Your thoughts?
Old 2008-10-05, 1:21am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

oh I so envy you!

Here it's not allowed to have liquid oxygen unless you have an underground concrete shelter thing to store it in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-05, 1:30am

Well aside from the fact that I am thinking you would need high pressure regulators, I think that would be a dreaaaaam!

Lucky you if you go for it!

Kym
Old 2008-10-05, 5:52am
Pyromaniac

I'm with you -- I want the liquid stuff. After looking into it myself a few months ago, they told me the tank is huge and weighs a ton, but could be delivered to a residential area. I'm curious which company has the small ones. I would love to know where you are getting it and see some pics of the tanks. .

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-10-05, 10:47am
yukue fumei

lucky loco!
Our O2 guy says no way to residential lox....
They have the 4 tanks of regular O2 that they will deliver but we already have 2 tanks so we passed on it.
Sounds like a great way to go.....lox I mean..

nagi

Old 2008-10-05, 11:02am
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
lucky loco!
Our O2 guy says no way to residential lox....
They have the 4 tanks of regular O2 that they will deliver but we already have 2 tanks so we passed on it.
Sounds like a great way to go.....lox I mean..
My guy kept saying no to lox. Then saying no to lox delivery in a residential. Ya, like I could get that sucker OUT of my truck NOT! Well they backed down a while back and will deliver here now, yee haa!

What city are you in? My guy is in Santa Ana and has another store in Riverside. Maybe if you ran it by your fire department they might give you the good stuff!
Old 2008-10-05, 11:21am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I know that Meadowesky is using LOX in a residential area - maybe you want to check with her on the particulars

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-05, 12:22pm
Ad astra per aspera

After GS, I'm seriously wishing for LOX (cream cheese & bagels optional ) AND a new torch, AND a gas line booster. This is very, very bad. LOL

Serious question, would a LOX tank really be okay in a place where summer temps are 105+? Would it be safe to keep a tank in a vented garage? I'm thinking this cuz I could easily run a line from the garage ceiling into my studio. Hmmmm

Old 2008-10-05, 12:27pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
My guy kept saying no to lox. Then saying no to lox delivery in a residential. Ya, like I could get that sucker OUT of my truck NOT! Well they backed down a while back and will deliver here now, yee haa!

What city are you in? My guy is in Santa Ana and has another store in Riverside. Maybe if you ran it by your fire department they might give you the good stuff!
hmmmm worth a look into. I'm in North Hollywood. He said it is not worth it since I can't use it on a consistent basis and I would be wasting alot in the offgassing.....
haven't checked with the FD....hmmm....good idea....

I am a bit concerned about the offgassing going off at night--I have heard it and it is enough to make you jump real good LOL!!!(bad enough when you are torching, but will wake the dead at night LOL!)

nagi

Old 2008-10-05, 2:19pm
Fancy Mammal

I think you'll have more problems in North Hollywood, because it's LA city as well as county, right? I know for Mar Vista / Culver City, there's a map of which streets are ok and which aren't. And the store nearest me says that their delivery records get checked by the city on a semi regular basis. Anyway, I do know that CA has much stricter laws than most of the country

But I'd *love* to be wrong about that delivery thing!

Last edited by parisgal; 2008-10-05 at 2:22pm.
Old 2008-10-05, 5:42pm
yukue fumei

yes--NoHo is LA county and I think you are probably right about the regulations.
Are you out near Culver City? I work out there!

Our Airgas guy said as soon as we had a shop, he would be happy to set us up, but really couldn't do a residential. He has always gone so far for us that we know if there was a way, he would do it. He is so supportive of glassies because his wife also does lampworking...

nagi

Old 2008-10-05, 5:45pm
In search of her path....

Oh Loco! If you have the means to get Liquid just do it! holy hell its the best thing EVER! It pays off the most if you torch at least 3-4 days a week or more....you will want to keep it in the garage and un it into the studio...leaving it set outside isnt great for it....but seriously liquid was the best oxy source ive ever used its just amazing!

If you get super high heat you will definately want to try to store it in an airconditioned or heavily shaded area....the warmer out it is the faster the lox turns to gaseous o2 and when the pressure gets too high it blows off and there goes your oxy! it doesnt spit it all out but you will loose quite a bit with blow off...torching every day and keeping it in a cooler place helps keep the blow off down....

Prints for sale in my
!

Last edited by IF-Designs; 2008-10-05 at 5:49pm.
Old 2008-10-05, 7:03pm
The Crazy One

I've used it before at several studios and know oh so well that wonderful heat that only comes from lox!

I'm 5 miles from the beach and it doesn't get hot here very often. I do have the perfect place for it outside where it would get less than an hour of sun and even then it could be shaded easily.
Old 2008-10-09, 2:57pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Hey loco, missing you out here in the boonies...

At both Flame and Confusion and BNC the oxy regulators were regular two stage Victor regulators, like the one I had at your place in the top of my tool box. Nothing special, just don't use a cheap single stage. The pressure your regulator will be seeing will be about 300 psi, much lower than a fresh oxy cylinder.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2008-10-11, 5:32am
ManBearPig

Liquid is the way to go if you use it a lot. If you don't use it regularly, though, it's a waste. A liquid tank that goes unused will vent off enough pressure to completely empty itself in a couple weeks.

I wish I could get it, but they won't deliver it here, and I don't like the thought of going and picking up a 700+ pound tank...

Old 2008-10-15, 7:23pm

Yep I use liquid and it is a dream. Well until I have to go pick it up in a truck and then get it off of the truck too lol. 2 guys, car ramps and a can cart.. I go inside cause it stresses me out.
Actually liquid oxygen is low pressure and you can use the same regulator as before.

Venting really isn't that big of a deal. I have never had a screamer and I have had liquid for about a year now. When I am not working large with tubing, a can will last me almost 6 weeks. When it does vent it is because I am being lazy and not using it up and then it is a very quiet hiss.

When you first get it, you will freak out everytime it does something funny... if you use it alot it will get frost or snow all over the top, if you don't use it, it will hiss.

Hook up to the "gas" don't mess with the pressure builder, the liquid, or the vent. Just hook it up and use it.

When you get it send me a pm if you need some help and I will send you my # incase you freak out like I did LOL

I pay 75$ a fill and about 50$ a month in rental. that versus 6 337 tanks a week is not too shabby.

Old 2008-10-15, 7:26pm

and to add, I had written permission directly from the MAYOR and my oxy company still would not deliver to my house.

Old 2008-11-24, 9:13am

Brandie,
I'm trying to get setup for LOX. I have a seperate 15' x 20' building as a studio. My concern is with the tank slowly venting and getting a very oxygen rich mix in the studio air and maybe go boom(??). How do you handle this or is it a concern?
Keith