No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-28, 1:23pm
Yeah me!

Default boro rod for fuming

I don't have any boro so is there any other way to fume, something else to hold the silver?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-28, 1:26pm

Don't laugh but a friend of mine successfully fumed using a silver glass! What the heck. Why not try it. Just heat the tip of the silver glass and let the fumes smoke up to your heated bead. Timing and temp's are critical for fuming so don't be surprised if this requires some dreaded ppp.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-01-28, 1:30pm
Did someone say SALE?

Heya Kristina, I just got a s**t load of clear Boro! We really have to get together! lol You can make tools out of it too, plus it is super cheap. I will just give you some of mine.
Old 2009-01-28, 1:40pm

Fused quartz is better for fuming than boro, it's not going to melt and absorb your metal or get soft in the heat and drop the metal bit. When fuming with a 'silver' glass you want to be sure that you are fuming with real silver and not lead.

Robert
Old 2009-01-28, 2:13pm
boro color bender

Colored boro like cobalt or turbo cobalt works best if you're gonna use boro. It's stiffer. Until you get some, I have no idea. Like Robert said, even boro sucks up the silver... I couldn't imagine using soft glass.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-01-28, 2:28pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
Don't laugh but a friend of mine successfully fumed using a silver glass! What the heck. Why not try it. Just heat the tip of the silver glass and let the fumes smoke up to your heated bead. Timing and temp's are critical for fuming so don't be surprised if this requires some dreaded ppp.

Sue
Yep, silver glass works. You don't need to add any silver, you actually fume with the silver that is in the glass. I still use silver on the top a quartz rod to fuse, but when in a pinch (ie the holder got pushed behind some stuff), I just grab a rod of silver glass and it does the trick. As you can imagine, if you fume for very long, the silver glass will start to soften too, but it really doesn't hurt anything. Boy that stuff must be loaded with silver.

Old 2009-01-28, 3:32pm

Out of curiosity, which silver glass are you using to fume?

Robert
Old 2009-01-28, 4:11pm
Yeah me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post

Robert
I'm curious too!?

Old 2009-01-28, 11:34pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:

Robert
Whichever happened to be closest at hand on the table. LOL I would think most of the DH and R4 glasses would work. It's still important to position it correctly so the silver travels the flame and sticks to the bead. I originally got the idea to try it because often the silver glass fumes the surrounding glass. That this works, is a great reminder of how important good ventilation is when using silver glass.

Old 2009-01-29, 7:34am

I ask which glass because you'd probably want to know if the metal that you are fuming is the metal that you think it is.

R
Old 2009-01-29, 7:37am
Who me?

I have gold fumed with a rod of Rubino Oro, so I'd say the silver glass rod would work too.
Old 2009-01-29, 7:44am

The gold colored surface on Rubino isn't gold.

R
Old 2009-01-29, 8:27am
Yeah me!

That in mind, do you think the bead is just reducing slightly rather than fuming? I don't want to waste something as expensive as oro to experiment.

Quote:
The gold colored surface on Rubino isn't gold.

R

Old 2009-01-29, 8:33am

Fuming with glass colored rods is a waste of money. Just buy a quartz rod from Winship and some pure silver wire.
Old 2009-01-29, 8:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg9403 View Post
Fuming with glass colored rods is a waste of money. Just buy a quartz rod from Winship and some pure silver wire.
I agree - use a known material for this sort of job.

Robert
Old 2009-01-29, 8:53am
Corgi Cult Member

You know, I was just agreeing with Sue that the silver glass would work, not promoting it as the only way to fume. Nor did I say it was the fastest, or best way to fume, just throwing it out there that it does work. Nor am I putting an unknown product in the flame, it's glass, it goes there anyway. And since the silver glass is already sitting on my bench and it doesn't really "use up" or "damage" the silver glass in any way, I'm not wasting money. Silly me, I forgot there isn't room for new or different ideas in lampworking anymore.

Last edited by artwhim; 2009-01-29 at 9:09am.
Old 2009-01-29, 9:16am

The unknown product in the flame is the metal in the 'silver' glass. It may or may not really be silver (or gold). If it doesn't matter to you, then go for it. If it does matter then use a quartz rod and pure metal. There are always new ideas.

Robert
Old 2009-01-29, 9:33am
boro color bender

I don't think anybody was saying it doesn't work or that it won't work. Robert was just trying to let people know it might not be pure silver or pure gold fume going on with this approach to fuming. I read it as him just trying to expand everybody's knowledge on this topic. He's a very smart guy and one of the nicest I've met.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-01-29, 11:21am
Peerless Thread Killer

Take a 2" x 2" square of wood. Drill 2 holes at opposite corners, the size that will fit a small quartz rod. Carefully melt fine silver onto one of the quartz rods until you have a small ball-let it cool or it will fall off. When it cools, put a 24k casting grain on the other rod and melt it and let cool. Voila! A fuming tool--courtesy of my first teacher, Kate Fowle-Meleney.

The rods are about 3" long, and you can hold the wooden bottom when you fume.