Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-05-31, 6:44pm

Default Implosian, coral or "brain" look

I know that sounds discusting, but one of my favorite implosian pendants I have purchase has "squiggles" in various colors. It reminds me of a coral or pardon this comparison; a brain. Has any one had history making these?
What techinque are they, rod, tube, blown glass? Any tips/tricks/tutorials.
I have had 2, 2 hour classes making the pendants, but I don't think I am ever going to graduate from Dot kindegarten. So please HELP.
I am new to glass, and love working with off mandrel with the boro.
Hope to meet you at ISGB in Rochester. My home town, just look for Suzanne from Kodak.
Any help with these would be greatly appricated.

Old 2010-05-31, 6:51pm
Pyromaniac

A picture of the pendant might help but I'd suggest drawing lines on a maria and see how that looks.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-05-31, 6:56pm

most of those are imploded. drawn on tubing, then heated. use 32 or 38 med wall for best results
Old 2010-06-01, 1:41am

something like this? Like pj said, this one was done on a 32mm tube, but it was heavy wall. Fumed first, then the design was drawn on and then imploded and backed with elvis. Tube implosions are not a beginners tech, but you could try the same off a rod, there just won't be as much space to get such a profuse design.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Running a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.

Last edited by wickedglass; 2010-06-01 at 1:44am.
Old 2010-06-01, 12:30pm
I speak Murrini!

Ack!!! That is SO COOL, Wicked! Very nice...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-06-02, 1:16am

Wow! That is really cool..

Old 2010-06-03, 5:33am
Serenity Now!

What they said: Totally 'Wicked' cool!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2010-06-19, 1:50pm
Living out Loud

I love it!!!!!!

Old 2010-06-20, 3:42am

thank you, they're a lot of fun to make and play around with. I made a whole bunch of these about 12 months ago and I was really enjoying getting the implosion to look "wet".
Get to practicing pulling points or attaching blow handles to larger tubing, it's really worth the effort learning how and you'll open a whole new spectrum of possibilities for yourself and I don't mean just doing implosions.

Running a
Old 2010-06-21, 2:01am
the german guy

so you draw outside of the tube and condense

or do you(like i did sometimes) blow a thin bubble , draw your design , and condense back

?

i want to implode my name , i drew it really big and wide over a thin bubble and condensed it back but it wont work maybe someone has any tips for me? that would be great

kind regards frank
Old 2010-06-21, 2:07am
the german guy

or do you(like i did sometimes) blow a thin bubble , draw your design , and condense back

?

i want to implode my name , i drew it really big and wide over a thin bubble and condensed it back but it wont work maybe someone has any tips for me? that would be great

kind regards frank
Old 2010-06-21, 2:26am
the german guy

?

kind regards frank
Old 2010-06-21, 8:03am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by steak351 View Post

?

kind regards frank
You blow a bubble, draw the design on the outside, and condense it down. If you are writing your name, you will write it backwards so that it reads correctly when it's imploded.

Old 2010-06-21, 2:26pm
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedglass View Post
something like this? Like pj said, this one was done on a 32mm tube, but it was heavy wall. Fumed first, then the design was drawn on and then imploded and backed with elvis. Tube implosions are not a beginners tech, but you could try the same off a rod, there just won't be as much space to get such a profuse design.
That's so sick (awesome)!!!! So I'm in love with the color variations! That a silver fume or what? Also, Isn't elvis red? I'm guessing the fuming made some weird chemistry happen.

Great work. I love it!

Old 2010-06-21, 2:29pm
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steak351 View Post

?

kind regards frank
those tube implosions are a trip. I've tried with 25mm and a couple sizes around 18-15mm, all heavy wall. I've tried the bubble and the draw and condense methods. Now, this may be directly correlated to my skill level. but the bubble worked better on the larger tubing and the draw and condense worked better on the smaller tubing. I've made tons of waste pieces and a couple nice pieces. I've gotten better though so just keep practicing like me. One day we will be able to do a tube implosion first time, every time!

Old 2010-06-21, 10:41pm
the german guy

i do it like that i need to practice stringerwork

Old 2010-06-22, 1:53am
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedglass View Post
Chris, is there anyway to make them without using tube? Like on normal maria?

Old 2010-06-22, 3:00am

hi Yunita, yes you can, but you won't get as much information into a maria. Also the way the fuming works, with the gradation from one colour in the center to another in the surrounding area, will be more difficult within the smaller confines of a maria. So, the bigger in circumference you can get your maria, the better. You can also try balling up some clear, fuming it, drawing on your design a little below the half way mark and then flattening and imploding. It might make your design look a little chunkier and do some interesting things with the fume as it is spread out and re-condensed ... exciting stuff! Go at it

Running a
Old 2010-06-22, 5:53pm
I need more boro stuff

Thanks Chris

Old 2010-06-23, 10:18pm
I speak Murrini!

And...Yunita - DON'T FORGET TO SHOW US!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-06-24, 12:48am
Piper.

Default FREEK

check out some of Freek's brain marbles on glasspipes.org.....
they are sick and inspiring.
Old 2010-07-18, 2:33pm
Hagstrom Art Glass

Come say hi at the Gathering
Attached Images

Old 2010-07-18, 2:48pm
Gimme that silver glass!

I really need to get me some boro workshops *sigh*...

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-07-22, 2:15pm

I will look for you at Gatherings, I started this post and have just started working in glass, and started with Boro. Look for me and Kodak at the Gathering
Old 2010-07-26, 2:09pm
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagstrom Art Glass View Post
Come say hi at the Gathering
ummm.....the 2nd pic....wow..gotta tell me how i can do that! who do i have to pay off or who do i have to kill!! beautiful!!!

Old 2010-07-31, 9:54am

I am going to try both ways even though I am still a newbie. I will post a pic when I get something worth seeing. I tried on rod last night but I had contacts in and quickly discovered I couldn't see up close, DOH! Love the work people.
Old 2010-08-01, 9:03am

Here it is. Something went wrong with the silver fume. More practice is needed for sure.
Attached Images

Old 2010-08-01, 10:01am
Hummel factory reject

Trondo I like to use NS Blue Moon for this effect. Other silvered colors work great too. Looks like you're getting the tech. !

Old 2010-08-01, 3:28pm

Thanks, next attempt I will try that.
Old 2010-12-07, 1:06pm

Do you do the fuming last ? Im new to this and am curious about fuming. This is an awesome technique though . Looks great