Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2012-09-17, 3:09pm

Question Shelbo tips recommendations

Yay! I bought a National 8m with a Rider and manifold off of ebay. I really lucked out as it was described as not including tips, but in fact came with a sm7 surface mix tip attached to the 8m!
My question is this: I am pretty sure I want a Shelbo tip for the rider, as I hear wonderful things, but I haven't really found any threads to explain to me the merits of the different tips.
I guess I want what everyone wants, the most versatile tip for the money. I did read a glowing review about the 55 hole tip, being a bushy flame, but that's about all I know.
I have made beads on my Hothead torch and have never used anything else, yet. I would like to be able to make some knobs for my kitchen cabinets once I get used to the torch, hopefully that helps give an idea of what kind of flame I would need.
Thanks for any advice to a newbie, Lisa
Old 2012-09-18, 10:02am

I carry the Shelbo Whisper Tips. When I first started talking to Mike (Shelbo) about these tips, this is what he said:

"The best selling tips are the 55 hole and the 7 hole. The 55 is the workhorse all around tip that is perfect for the glassblower who only has one torch to work on. The 7 hole is a favorite for users wanting a tip for their secondary torch or hand torch."

http://www.artcoinc.com/shelbo_tips.php

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978

Last edited by ArtcoInc; 2012-09-18 at 9:59pm.
Old 2012-09-18, 1:32pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
I carry the Shelbo Whisper Tips. When I first started talking to Mike (Shelbo) about these tips, this is what he said:

"The best selling tips are the 55 hole and the 7 hole. The 55 is the workhorse all around tip that is perfect for the glassblower who only has one torch to work on. The 7 hole is a favorite for users wanting a tip for their secondary torch or hand torch."

http:/www.artcoinc.com/shelbo_tips.php

Malcolm
Your link is broken, mon ami.

Shelbo Tips at Artco

Fixed.

Old 2012-09-18, 8:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role View Post
Your link is broken, mon ami.

Shelbo Tips at Artco

Fixed.
Thanks ...

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2012-09-21, 5:55pm

Thanks for the reply, I kept googling for more info and will be going with the 55 when I do buy a tip. Lisa
Old 2012-12-02, 7:59pm

I purchased the set of tips for the micro torch from artco.here is a video of it in action at 25 psi on the o2 tank . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvDm7O9m9Y0

i love the three tip its just enough to fix a crack in boro with out disturbing the structure/shape of the piece. the 12 hole is a great flame for working out welds. i was able to pull a point in 1 inch with it and made a small hand pipe .it penetrates much more then the scorpion and is able to seal up small pin holes and really gets the glass hot in a hurry. the 12 tip is extremely hard, basically impossible to put out in use.

I use it quite a bit to do repairs in the kiln and should probably get the extension neck soon.
the guy who taught me to blow uses the 55 tip as his daily driver. he also has the 7 tip but it is a bit sensitive to o2 pressures and goes out easily

Tags
knobs, national, rider, shelbo