No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-07-18, 9:56pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Default Glass Labeling Question

I'm a little OCD. I label every rod of glass. But I am getting really tired of doing that. I had quite a bit of glass delivered this week, and just looking at it makes me tired.

Some of the rods (Fudgecicle, Redrum) I think I can recognize without labeling. But with all the odd lot variations on Orange (Lollipop, Marmalade, etc) and Kronos (looks like transparent cobalt) and others, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and label them all.

And what's the diff between the two specific oranges I mentioned anyway?

Do you label each rod?

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-18, 10:16pm
Bracelet Ho

Hmmm are those Bullseye colors? I don't have any moretti with those names. I use the Avery return address labels and type the # and name of the glass for each rod.

Old 2006-07-18, 10:23pm

i dont label individually cause I have my pvc labeled and I try to put each rod back (even stringers) in the hole it belongs in as soon as I am done with it and it is cool

Old 2006-07-18, 11:12pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I've been using half-sheet labels and printing the color name and number in a really small font, then cutting out each one and wrapping it around the very end of each rod.

Yep, a lot of those colors are Bullseye.

I don't clean up my space after each torch session. One experiment tends to lead me into the next, and I find it messes with my flow to have to go drag out the stuff (and remember what I was using!) every time I torch.

I guess I'll just have to spend tomorrow labeling. WAIT! I'll see if John will do it for me. He's my office manager. I need to delegate this!!!!

Also Available in

Old 2006-07-18, 11:32pm
I'm a lilac!

The BE Orange Lollipop is transparent orange with clear, the Orange Marmalade is transparent orange with clear and ivory.

I typically just label one rod, store them all in seperate compartments on shelves divided by COE, then use cookie sheets as my work trays (Amazon has cheap cookie sheets) to make sure none of the COEs gets mixed up on the workbench.

Then I end up with a billion partially-used unlabeled rods on each cookie sheet, which I then periodically try to use up to get them the heck out of the way, LOL!

Old 2006-07-18, 11:35pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Thanks for the info, Kalera

I tried the Redrum tonight that I got from you, and some others. Yum! Didn't dig into the oranges yet though.

Also Available in

Old 2006-07-19, 8:44am
Button Queen

Tink, Tink, Tink.... You're the boss. You have people that work for you. Sounds to me like a job that gets "assigned" to someone....

Although, on second though... if you wind up with any leftover bits of glass and don't know what they are, you can just send them to me. I'll take care of them for you!
Old 2006-07-19, 9:04am
Does it come in Purple???

This is something I just started to do. I can pretty much tell what each of my moretti is but I am experimenting with boro and they all look similar so I sat last night and made labels for all of the.

I work in constant chaos and never clean anything up so I guess I will need labels to keep the coe's AND the colors straight.

Wow Tink - with as much glass as I imagine you have - labelling would be QUITE the chore Sounds like a job to do while watching your new TV

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2006-07-19, 11:29am

I only label my non-Effetre glass. I keep labeled rod chunks handy to help identify the color I am using. As soon as I get something incompatable with Effetre, it gets labeled.

I mixed about 20 rods of boro clear with a boatload of Effetre clear once, that won't happen again. I ended up pouring my etching cream in a 3# coffee can and standing all of the rods in it. The boro did not etch, so I was able to sort quickly, but it still left me with about a mile of etched nubs.

Steve
Old 2006-07-19, 1:18pm
Floral Obsessed

Clever solution, Steve! I'll have to file that in my brain... hopefuly I'll never need to use it! -H.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2006-07-19, 2:03pm
yukue fumei

I just started using this method:
When stored: one labeled rod per bundle and each bundle has its own cubby.
As I pull out a rod, I label it-- unless it is a color that is easily recognizable (like pineapple sparkle or filigrana)
Old 2006-07-19, 4:25pm

I use a sharpie & write the # on the end of the rod. If it's an Odd, I add an "O" after the #. If it's Vetrofond, Lauscha, Kugler...(anything but moretti), I write the letter of the manufacturer before the #. So, vetrofond odd ocean green 927 would be "V927 - O". Vetro clear would be V004, moretti clear would just be 004.
I hate those little pieces of stuff sticking to the end of the rod!! Marker burns off. It's also neat... and for dark colored rods where you can't read the marker, you could always get a white paint pen.
Hope this helps!

Evolution is only a theory, just like, um, gravity.

SAVE THE CHEERLEADER, SAVE THE WORLD!
Old 2006-07-19, 4:26pm
daughter and I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads
I just started using this method:
When stored: one labeled rod per bundle and each bundle has its own cubby.
As I pull out a rod, I label it-- unless it is a color that is easily recognizable (like pineapple sparkle or filigrana)
Now that is a good idea!

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2006-07-19, 6:31pm

This wasn't an issue with Effetre b/c each of the Effetre colors is distinguishable from the next, but now that I am using other brands I'm finding too many look similar so I have to think about doing what nagibeads does.

Old 2006-07-19, 7:01pm
yukue fumei

thanks Valerie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_beads
This wasn't an issue with Effetre b/c each of the Effetre colors is distinguishable from the next, but now that I am using other brands I'm finding too many look similar.....
--exactly! and boro....aiyayah! The silvered colors look exactly the same as the ionic colors and there are a kazillion blues and greens and so many manufacturers LOL!
Old 2006-07-19, 7:13pm
More ideas than talent

Couldn't you mark them with different nail polishes or sharpies or or something on the end and just keep a keep a key chart?

Old 2006-07-19, 7:19pm
yukue fumei

Hi Kimberly-
Markers are awesome!
I have really bad penmanship so I use a labelmaker.(whoever gets my little glass stash will be witness to my bad writing skills--"@#*(&^@" is "dark silver plum"--really!LOL!)
The labels are not glue-y like the paper labels. Or maybe I am lucky? Anyhoo, I always clean my glass with alcohol before using them so I don't have the glue residue issue, knock wood.
Old 2006-07-19, 8:00pm
Corgi Cult Member

Hey Kimberly, I use the same method you do. I like to use rods to the bitter end so I don't like to remove a label. The marker burning off solves that problem. I do like to have one rod from each color labeled with a tag but I try to use that one last. Some colors are so recongizable I only mark them with a V M L or B for the company. It is really fast to lay out the rods in a row and mark them. You also don't have to worry about accidently tearing off the label.
Kathy
Old 2006-07-19, 8:41pm

Pilot makes a writing pen that marks on glass, metal, etc. It's called Permaball permanent ink. It is much better than the sharpy because it really stays on when you abuse it. Also it's just like writing with an ink pen. You have to get it going by rubbing it back and forth gently on the rod- and then it just glides on. It takes a minute to dry but you can just put the rod edges over something while they dry. They come in black and blue. Doesn't help with the dark colors.....black is about the only dark color that you can't see it on though. However, it burns off and the glass is clean when you get to the nubby. You can take alcohol and rub it off with a few wipes if you want. A sharpy will melt off right away....the permaball takes a few good wipes. That way if you're cleaning the rod with H20 or alcohol-you run less of a risk of wiping the color and # off. I REALLY like these pens! I couldn't find them at the office supply last time so I had to order them from the Pilot websight. I used to color code my rods with paint on the tips...but when all the special colors started coming out it is nice to actually write what the color is! Now that there are a bazillion 420's!!!!!!!
Linda
Old 2006-07-19, 9:16pm
Looking for my waistline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
Orange (Lollipop, Marmalade, etc)
And what's the diff between the two specific oranges I mentioned anyway?

Do you label each rod?
Yes, OCD about rod labels...
Orange Lollipop is transparent, the color of orange lollipops.
Orange Marmalade is very streaky. The orange seems a little darker than the Lollipop and I think it's mixed with opal white if I remember correctly.
Old 2006-07-20, 5:10am

Avery labels & Rubber Bands , combined with only 2 hours of your favorite show like, "American Idol" or "So You think you can Dance" go along way to solving this problem. ...See, your not wasting any time here, right?

I hate the gummies but it only takes a few seconds to clean and save.
Old 2006-07-20, 5:14am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendbill
Couldn't you mark them with different nail polishes or sharpies or or something on the end and just keep a keep a key chart?
I don't think there are that many colors of nail polish or sharpies in the world. Plus it adds another layer to the record keeping.

Also Available in

Old 2006-07-20, 5:15am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne225
Avery labels & Rubber Bands , combined with only 2 hours of your favorite show like, "American Idol" or "So You think you can Dance" go along way to solving this problem. ...See, your not wasting any time here, right?

I hate the gummies but it only takes a few seconds to clean and save.
So what do you do exactly?

Also Available in

Old 2006-07-20, 5:16am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads
Hi Kimberly-
Markers are awesome!
I have really bad penmanship so I use a labelmaker.(whoever gets my little glass stash will be witness to my bad writing skills--"@#*(&^@" is "dark silver plum"--really!LOL!)
The labels are not glue-y like the paper labels. Or maybe I am lucky? Anyhoo, I always clean my glass with alcohol before using them so I don't have the glue residue issue, knock wood.
I tried that, but had to wrap cellophane tape around each label to keep it on the glass.

Also Available in

Old 2006-07-20, 5:17pm
ID10T Problem Solver

I am going to try this:

http://needdecals.stores.yahoo.net/blanstatwinc.html

Print your Laser labels out and then stick them to the static sheet and cut them out, roll them around the end of the rod...a little more work, but then the labels are reusable.

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2006-07-20, 10:14pm
Sheryll

Hi Tink,
Ok, so I'm totally OCD about what rods I have too. I use Avery 5160 labels that have 3 columns of 2 X 1 inch labels. I have an excel worksheet (ya, I know super ocd) for Moretti cuz that's all I use for now anyway, which has a sample color, the name (Letter and color number - T-014 for Transparent ??? I'm not near my glass rods so I have no idea what 14 is?) But you get the idea.

Anyway, I fit 2 columns of info on 1 sticker so I cut each column in half (after I print of course) so one sheet of labels = 6 columns. Half a label fits most the rods well by letting the extra attached to each other so it doesn't overlap itself (adjust depending on size of rod) I've never had any problem with the label coming off. I just make sure I label at the bottom inch of my rod. I usually use up the rod up to ~3 inches from the label at which point I soak it into a jug of water and the label comes right off, no sticky gunk either. A quick dry and rub with a cloth and it's ready to become stringer.

Anyway, I hope this makes sense? I'm tired and probably shouldn't be posting when I'm sleepy.
Old 2006-07-21, 5:16am

I use a price gun, here's some examples: http://www.storesupplies.com/pricing_guns.html

I have two, one a cheaper 8 digit label, that I use for my main stay cane. Those only have the rod number and I mark it with a sharpie if it's other than 104. It's an older version of http://www.storesupplies.com/monarch1110.html. It's easy on the hands and quick to refill the labels so I use it the most.

The other one is a two liner, I don't use it as much because it's a pain in the hindparts to refill the labels. I use it for the odd cane or to mark it with a symbol that tell me it's does something odd, like reduces easy or whatever.

I'm lazy and it still works for me.

~Moon
Old 2006-07-21, 5:06pm

Tink if you send me a mailing address...I'll pop a pen in the mail for you to try. It's really a nice 1.89 solution. You can label while watching tv.
Linda
Old 2006-07-22, 1:17am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Linda, that is a really sweet offer. There's no sense in you going to that trouble though. Tell you what: I'll see if I can find them here, like at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. If I can't find them, I'll come crawling back to you and beg for a pen

You guys have great, inventive solutions for this problem! Thanks to everyone for sharing!

Also Available in

Old 2006-07-28, 9:16am

I've been using sharpies and just refresh them at the start of a session. I looked for the permaball at staples today and couldn't find any. I do have a solution for the dark colors though. I use a gold ink pen. If you can't get the gold ink to write small enough, use the ink to make a blot of gold for a tag. Then write your color # and brand (V, E, L, BE, etc) in black on the tag.

BoniBell