Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-08-01, 1:10pm

Default Luv Luv Luv my new shop!!

The first is the before picture during construction... it is 12x24 Not huge but it is just for me. I am painting the beadboard we used for wainscoting. Shop is forest green and oyster white with a driftwood gray ceiling.

second picture is the front door with an a window screen that drops on the top to provide air flow if needed but I love leaving the main door open to allow all that light to come in. We are going to build a wooden patio at the front door and a table and chairs so my friends and hubby can come sit and have coffee and chit chat.

third is the north wall where there is yet to be a sink installed with hot running water, yup! Wired shelves on the left are waiting to get loaded up with fusing frits. All my glass rods are in two cabinets on the south wall.

fourth is south wall. Morton cutting table to the right on wheels to move out for a cutting station. Air conditioner is now installed in window on the right. Real nice feature!!!

Fifth pic is my torching station and TV/DVD/CD player. Desk is a used computer desk for $25 and raised up on big bricks so I can stand if I want. Bead kiln is eye height to my left side.

All the tanks will be put outside in a small building of their own and lines piped in. The fan yet to be installed is powerful. Currently just using a window fan and opening a window behind me to draw out fumes. Seems to work fine for now unless I forget to open the other window (humpf)

And Mike and I did all the work ourselves including the wiring for 110 and 220.

Next will be an electrical composting toilet outside the back wall. Probably have to wait till next year for that feature..

Am I spoiled or what?!!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-08-01, 1:17pm

I love your new shop too.

Looks awesome.
Old 2007-08-01, 1:27pm

and HUGE!!! Nice cabinets and everything. Wow, very nice.

Candy

Old 2007-08-01, 1:37pm

Say, that is nice!
Old 2007-08-01, 2:09pm

It looks wonderful - I envy you for all that space!

What are you doing for ventilation? You mention a window fan but that's not enough.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)

Last edited by Diane (clarus); 2007-08-01 at 3:55pm.
Old 2007-08-01, 2:13pm
Queen of small things

Isn't it wonderful to have a space to work in! Have wonderful fun and be safe!

It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty... I'm gonna drink it through this crazy straw.

In North Georgia? Visit my bead store!

Old 2007-08-01, 3:26pm
Rare Florida Native

Wow I love the cabinets and all that space........never enough room for glass! Be sure to get that new exhaust in soon

Old 2007-08-01, 7:53pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Care to let us in on the secrets to your ventialtion?

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-08-01, 8:56pm

No secret... Same setup I had before I moved last year. A hood overhead and a fan purchased from Grainger installed in the wall directly in front of the torch. I open a window behind me or I will use the screen door . None of this is in yet but it will be come the colder days. Right now, the open window and direct pull fan work quite fine as I can open five windows if I want.

Thanks for the compliments, friends. I wish everyone could have a studio this nice.. Notice it didn't take me long to fill it up. I dabble in ceramics also..

Old 2007-08-02, 4:05am
Molten Memories

I LUV, LUV, LUV it too! You are one lucky lady! I wish you many, many years of safe, happy, creative years in your studio!

Jeanie

Old 2007-08-02, 5:51am
Beyond Cloud 9!

Wow! Very nice! Looks like a little slice of heaven to me!

Old 2007-08-02, 6:03am
old fart

from your photos, it appears that your hood is not above your torch area. if that is true, then it is not very effective. you want your ventilation hood to be directly above your torch, and if possible, your hood should be closed off on all sides except the front so that the ventilation byproducts are "funneled" into the hood.

Old 2007-08-02, 7:30am

Hi Mark. When I put up the hood, it will capture all the fumes. I don't do much torching at this time. Been fusing mostly but this fall when it gets cooler, the tanks will go outside in their own heated room and the vent system will be properly installed. As mentioned, I had an excellent vent setup before I moved. This one will be even better...

I hesitated to post any pictures because I knew I would get reamed for not having a "proper" exhaust setup.. We are still under construction and have a definite plan ..

Thanks to you all for your concerns...

Old 2007-08-02, 7:58am

Kay, I look forward to seeing new photos once you get your hood installed. Thanks for explaining the situation - I was just concerned about your safety. It looks like a fantastic place to work on all of your projects!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2007-08-02, 8:41am

Thanks so much, Diane.
Hey, how lucky are you??!! The Gathering is in Oakland next year!!
Old 2007-08-02, 8:41am
Salt Box Beads

Love the kiln...FuseboxII?

12X24 is really huge. I am in a 6X9 effeciency inside garage studio-ette.

You did a great job and I love that you didn't put the torch up against/facing a wall and you do not have the door at your back ( I always cringe when I see this) and you can see out the windows etc. Lots of great design planning went into your studio.

GOOD JOB! Now all you need is a palm tree, a little sand and a hammock in one corner and yer all done!!
Lorraine
Old 2007-08-02, 10:33am

Lorraine, just wait until I get the deck done.. Potted palm and a hammock? Probably the closest thing I can get to a beach on Jamaica....

And it is wonderful you recognized some design elements. I hate having a door at my back and with it open and the glass screen shut, I can even use it in the winter. And lots of light and windows was a must! There is now a light over the sink and along with the high intensity lights on the ceiling, there are three recessed lights over the torching and kiln area. The hood will also have it's own light.

And yes, it is the fusebox kiln. great all around kiln for beadmaking and enamels. I also have two Skutts, one I use for single fusing, enamels, etc. and a big Skutt for ceramics or bigger glass objects, all with electronic controllers...

My glass saw, grinder, and lap machine will be along the back wall by the sink and the tile saw is on a rollaway station so I can use it outside..because it does make a mess..

Guess where I spend most of my time, now, when it is too hot to work outside or ride my horse?! If I don't feel creative, I can watch dvds at this time and soon to be hooked up is the satelite (sp) dish. Actually looking forward to winter now. Last winter, I went bananas as I had nothing. Later in the winter I got set up with a temporary torching station and the preserved my sanity. (I think)
Old 2007-08-02, 2:35pm

That's eye-poppingly gorgeous Kay! What an absolutely wonderful place to play!
Old 2007-08-02, 3:02pm
><>

Good for you!!!
You are not spoiled.
Spoiled is what happens to food when it's out too long.
You are well treated!!!!
Your studio is twice as large as mine will be and
it's a great space!!!
Congratulations!
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2007-08-02, 6:12pm

your new shop looks incredible - love all the room. Congrats and enjoy! Bonnie
Old 2007-08-03, 11:12am
San Diego Toni

It's wonderful Kay - enjoy!!

Old 2007-08-03, 4:58pm

Wow Kay great space, nice and big. Congratulations enjoy your new space
Marieann
Old 2007-08-03, 9:52pm

thanks, everyone. I only wish is that everyone had such a caring, giving and handy husband as I do or none of this would have been possible. He is the bestest...