LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-14, 3:37pm

Default I have tried Devardi glass!

Hello, I contacted them and bought an assortment. It arrived this morning and I tried app. twenty-four colors. It is a clean glass, with very few bubbles. I am a newbie, only been lampworking for app. a year, but I know what works and what does not. I used a Minor and two concentrators.
Contrary to the description on eBay, this glass is a little stiffer than Moretti but not as stiff as Bullseye. I like this because I can make and control larger discs before melting a bead down and I got excellent puckers at the mandrel. There was no bubbling or foaming, as was described. I introduced or flashed the rods carefully, because of her description on eBay, but most of the glass was not shocky. I also did this, because it was cold this morning and I did not heat the rods. Two of the semi-opals shattered, only 1/8" to 1/4" off the rod. That could have been me, not the rod. One opal, red, shattered app. 1/8". Out of twenty-four colors, that was great.
I did not want to start the kiln, so I put these in vermiculate. None cracked.
I have not annealed them yet.
The colors are pretty much - what you see is what you get. The red is beautiful, almost like the copper red Chinese pottery glaze. I liked all the rods marked semi-opaque. The opaque olive has streaks of dark brown.
If you like the colors, try an assortment. You will not have to mortage the studio to see if you like them. I would say, go for it, but I have not annealed yet.
I also tried their bead release. It is thin, but it flamed dried great and I removed a large bead and just wiped the mandrel clean. I need to do much more testing before ordering more. I do think it has a lot of graphite. It is a smooth release.
I will post after I anneal these beads.
Later, Jim
Old 2009-01-14, 5:16pm
It's all about the color.

Thank you Jim. I really appreciate the report.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-14, 8:12pm

Jim, have you tried combining Devardi with Effetre in the same bead? I'm very curious to know if they are actually compatible.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-14, 9:36pm

Hi Sarah, I was rushed today, so I did not get to play all I wanted to. I do plan to combine this glass with Effetre and also encase each with the other. I will report back when I get a chance. I was pleased with the results today. To be honest, after reading the other posts, I was expecting "the big bang."
There were a few colors, I know most of you would like. My favorites were: salmon, butterscotch, dark marine, the red first looked different in the light I was looking at it in, but upon better inspection it is just another tomato red, the transparent rose is a winner (holds up extremely well in high heat), transparent light rose, saffron, and Op. orange (softer opal orange than some. The dark brown is too dark, almost black.
We might have to light the torches and and crank up the kilns here in Virginia. They are calling for five degrees Friday night. Brrrrrr! I will report back soon.
Later, Jim
Old 2009-01-14, 9:45pm
MacGalver

Jim~

Thanks so much for posting such a careful report on the behavior of the devardi glass! It is much appreciated...

Jo

Old 2009-01-15, 4:41am
Resident hippie

Thanks very much, Jim, for taking the chance and sharing your results.
I'm looking forward to hearing how they anneal. And if they're compatible with Effetre.
Is anyone else thinking of trying them?
I have too much glass waiting for the shedio to be finished to start buying a whole new line.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2009-01-15, 5:26am
Yeah me!

Is there anywhere other than ebay to buy this glass? I have had my card # stolen from using ebay so I am to scared to try again. I would love to try this glass out though, as I like to torch on the edge! lol

Old 2009-01-15, 11:47am

Kristina, You can email them at: helpdesk@mailbuggygeneralstore.com or give them a call at: 509-374-2225. Ask for Natasha or Daniel. They are located in Kennewick, Washington. Have fun! Jim
Old 2009-01-15, 11:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadanna View Post
Is anyone else thinking of trying them?
You know what? If they offer sample packs with BIN (for a reasonable price), I'll buy one.
I am probably insane, but the curiosity is killing me.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-15, 1:47pm

I being insanely tempted by the pink...really, just the pink....(yeah, it's a sickness, I know...pinks & purples suck me in every time)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-15, 2:54pm

I agree with the BIN! I dont' want to wait.... Yeah, I am not big int the patience category. Just ask my DH.
The curiosity is just killing me.

Amy

Old 2009-01-15, 5:41pm
product of the universe

I can't wait to see the results of this glass. New soft glass always intrigues me. Coming from the boro world i'm amazed at all the options soft glass has to offer. The colors in the realm of soft glass are so different i want em all, as long as they work right.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-01-15, 6:24pm
Just me

Holy coolness!
They are located like 10 minutes by car from me!
I am going to send them a message and see if they sell locally.
I'll let you all know if I get anywhere.
It would be nice to have a place to pick up glass and not have to order, pay shipping and tax!

Old 2009-01-15, 6:39pm

Oooh Bubby, if you get anywhere on the "pick it up" idea, let some of us know...bet you'd have takers for a "bulk buy"...some of us hate the idea of paying huge shipping for a single pound @ ebay prices but would be happy to pay you a small processing fee for a little package, or whatever for a single color or two...

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-15, 8:00pm
Just me

Well that was fast.
I sent a message and got a prompt reply.
I just got off the phone with them and will be picking up a small order tomorrow morning.

I think it might be time to don a respirator mask and try to do a little torching while pregnant!

Old 2009-01-16, 8:10am
Yeah me!

I just recieved a "grab bag" of COE 104 from AS and it is all marked "made in India" is this the same glass or are there many made in India?

Old 2009-01-16, 5:51pm

Default Buy Devardi Glass - Direct

Several of you expressed interest in purchasing this glass, if they had a Buy it Now on eBay. Daniel said he would sell a pound assortment for the cost he is listing a lb., plus shipping, if you would buy direct, so they would not have the eBay fees.
This will be for a limited time, so LE members can try out the glass, as they make hardly any profit, unless people bid on the auctions. Just give him a call. The phone number is listed in one of the above posts.
Have a good weekend.

Later, Jim
Old 2009-01-17, 8:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
Kristina, You can email them at: helpdesk@mailbuggygeneralstore.com or give them a call at: 509-374-2225. Ask for Natasha or Daniel. They are located in Kennewick, Washington. Have fun! Jim
Pulling this forward so folks don't have to find it!

Old 2009-01-18, 9:07pm

Default Annealed Devardi Glass

OK, you guys wanted the results. I have not batch annealed yet, but I garaged beads this morning. I warmed the rods and they did play "nice". I combined Moretti and Devardi in the same bead and sandwiched Devardi in between moretti. I made small and large ones. No cracks whatsoever.
For those of you that make big hole beads for Pandora, Troll, or the others, this glass is great for winding around the large mandrels. It is a little stiffer, which makes it much easier to control.
I only encased one bead with the clear. No cracks. I do want to encase more using their clear, to compare it with other clears. I also encased Devardi with Moretti - no cracks.
Now, if you need glass, this is a great buy for hand pulled glass. Stock up. The more we buy now, the sooner they will order the new and special colors. I just saw a color brochure of 100 colors in this glass and I want a lot of it. I am placing a twenty pound order tomorrow.
Have fun.
Later, Jim
Old 2009-01-19, 9:34am
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey*bee View Post
I just recieved a "grab bag" of COE 104 from AS and it is all marked "made in India" is this the same glass or are there many made in India?
I totally hope someone answers this...I ordered some too because I love a good mystery and mystery glass...

I have not received mine yet. How many colors did you receive and how are the colors?

~Rachelle
Old 2009-01-19, 11:39am

Default 33 colors of Devardi

I received app. thirty three colors of Devardi in the small assortment. Many of the colors are very similar to Moretti. I know everyone will like the semi opaques. The opal butterscotch and salmon are great colors. The butterscotch is only a shade darker than Moretti yellow opal 266. The dark rose was a winner, but they are already sold out of it. The marine, dark marine, olive, red, and sky blue are good colors. The transparent light rose and the transparent blue are winners too.
I know you will like the working properties of this glass, expecially if you do florals or detailed beads. It is a little stiffer and works great on large 1/4" mandrels, much easier to form than Moretti.
I am looking forward to seeing the new colors when they get them. I am a glass hogg and like you, have to try mystery glass. I don't think this is mystery glass anymore, as I have tried it every way, and annealed it. It plays "nice" and I want more.
Have a good day.
Later, Jim
Old 2009-01-19, 12:22pm

Okay. I might get jumped on for saying this. If I am totally off here, I apologize in advance. Honestly, I do.

This previously-unheard-of and astonishingly cheap glass is now the most perfect glass known to mankind and has no problems whatsoever? Even the people selling it are saying it is shocky and can be "foamy". Unlike other types of glass that come from India, it is perfectly compatible with itself and with Effetre, no cracks at all? Drafly, are you sure you are using the same glass?

I'm not buying this. I'm sorry. I would like to hear the working experiences of at least one more person - preferably, someone who has, at the very least, posted in other threads on LE before.

This whole thing is just seeming very fishy. I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-19, 12:35pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
Okay. I might get jumped on for saying this. If I am totally off here, I apologize in advance. Honestly, I do.

This previously-unheard-of and astonishingly cheap glass is now the most perfect glass known to mankind and has no problems whatsoever? Even the people selling it are saying it is shocky and can be "foamy". Unlike other types of glass that come from India, it is perfectly compatible with itself and with Effetre, no cracks at all? Drafly, are you sure you are using the same glass?

I'm not buying this. I'm sorry. I would like to hear the working experiences of at least one more person - preferably, someone who has, at the very least, posted in other threads on LE before.

This whole thing is just seeming very fishy. I'm sorry if I'm wrong.
Thanks for writing down what I've been thinking

I'd love to see some bead photos to back this information up!

Old 2009-01-19, 1:00pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

you are so smart Sarah

Old 2009-01-19, 1:11pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

yeah, I am skeptical too.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-19, 2:08pm
moth to the flame

I read on the butterscotch auction a testimonial about it being tested with Moretti and test beads being annealed.

I'd like to see pics of these beads that were made, might clear up some questions here.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-01-19, 2:39pm

Hello - Jim here. I do not have a "dog in this fight." I just purchased "direct" an assortment and posted my results here. A couple of colors are a little shocky but so are some of Moretti's handpulled glass.
Barb "Bubbyanne" visited these sellers and picked up an assortment of this glass. She should be trying it soon and hopefully reporting her findings.
You guys act like you would have to mortage the studio to try an $8.95 sampler. I waited and did not order more soon enough and now they are already out of the dark rose. There is nothing fishy here. Nobody is twisting your arm. This is just a great buy on a good glass. That is the only reason I was reporting on it. Some asked me to do this on this board. I will not take my time to do it again, so I would advise you, if interested, to spend your money and try it yourself.
Good Day, Jim
PS: We have no association with Devardi Glass. I am retired and my wife owns Clark Art Glass & Refractories
We are located in Virginia. The Devardi Glass owners are in Washington state.
Old 2009-01-19, 2:41pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
Hello - Jim here. I do not have a "dog in this fight." I just purchased "direct" an assortment and posted my results here. A couple of colors are a little shocky but so are some of Moretti's handpulled glass.
Barb "Bubbyanne" visited these sellers and picked up an assortment of this glass. She should be trying it soon and hopefully reporting her findings.
You guys act like you would have to mortage the studio to try an $8.95 sampler. I waited and did not order more soon enough and now they are already out of the dark rose. There is nothing fishy here. Nobody is twisting your arm. This is just a great buy on a good glass. That is the only reason I was reporting on it. Some asked me to do this on this board. I will not take my time to do it again, so I would advise you, if interested, to spend your money and try it yourself.
Good Day, Jim
PS: We have no association with Devardi Glass. I am retired and my wife owns Clark Art Glass & Refractories
We are located in Virginia. The Devardi Glass owners are in Washington state.
In that case, I apologize for my skepticism.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-01-19, 2:52pm

Sarah, If you would spend some time researching, instead of posting such negative posts, you would learn that India produces many of the world's lampworked beads. Sure, the most popular glass comes from Italy, but do you think all the glass produced in India is bad? I don't think so.
Jim
The sellers of this glass informed me they had tried glass from a number of companies in India before purchasing this.
Old 2009-01-19, 2:57pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Jim, the reaction comes from the fact that people spam the board - and post in support of their own products under fake names - all the time. It is very common. Your lack of posts in other thread raised red flags. I should have just come out and asked if you were affiliated with the company in order to give you a chance to identify yourself as you did earlier. I am sorry I didn't.

DOG is my co-pilot

Tags
devardi, missing posts?