Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2013-07-29, 2:05pm
What was I thinking?

Default Glare through photo cube walls...

I'm using a table-top photo cube with good lights pointing in on each side. I've got my camera on a tripod with an open aperture. But I'm still getting lots of reflection on my beads.

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-07-29, 3:10pm
Jacqueline Parkes

The same thing happens to me so I gave up on the cube. I will be curious to hear if there are some helpful suggestions here. Beautiful beads!

Old 2013-07-29, 3:43pm

me too

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-07-29, 4:12pm
What was I thinking?

Thanks, Jacqueline & Julie. May I ask what you use now?

I did have some luck moving my lights back, but trying to get an accurate idea of what I'm shooting is tough too.

Old 2013-07-29, 4:58pm

If you are getting glare, you either have to bright of lights, they are too close or both. The idea with a light tent is that the tent will spread out the light. If you put the light right up against it (so as to get more light inside) then the walls of the tent don't have a chance to do their job... which is to spread out and defuse the light.

Try backing the lights away a foot and try again. You can also add another layer of material and the light, which gives a chance for the first layer to defuse and spread and then that light is defused and spread again when it hits your light tent. This will reduce the amount of light hitting your object since light is also being bounced away each time it hits something, so you will need to compensate for that.

Another option is to put the lights inside the tent and aim them towards the wall away from the object. Most of the light will go out but some will bounce back giving a nice defused light. What I use to like doing was using a large sheet of white cardboard or foamboard and put it around what I was photographing. Then I would aim my lights at the reflective side of the cardboard and reflect the light back onto my posing table. I used a couple of the 4x8' white insulation panels you can get at Home Depot once, but those start to crumble after awhile and you can't bend them (although you can cut them and then put strips of masking tap across the cut to make a hinge to bend it). My favorite though is going to a box making factory or supplier of cardboard and buying the large sheets of white cardboard. The size I usually got was 5'x10', a size that lets me wrap it almost completely around something. They only cost a few dollars each too and last quit a while. Of course I was shooting bigger things than some of the jewelry that people here shoot so smaller sheets would probably be better. Or art board would work as well. If you get both white and black you can use the black in places where you don't want light bounced back.

Mike
Old 2013-07-29, 6:00pm
What was I thinking?

Thanks, Mike. I got much better results when I moved the lights back. I posted a pic in today's Gallery S&T.

Old 2013-08-08, 10:09pm
Pixel Dude

Take a look at another thread addressing your challenges and how it was solved: http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249840