Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-09, 5:19am
Ready to hit the road

Debbie, I can't help at all on the diet part, but can you try apple cider vinegar for the heartburn? I was having problems with heartburn and reflux and was taking heartburn pills besides eating Tums, and read about apple cider vinegar. Last fall I started using it 3-4 times a day and was able to stop taking the heartburn pills and have cut the Tums down to 1 or 2 at night, and now only use the vinegar a couple of times a week. Just a quarter teaspoon in a 4 oz paper cup of water was sufficient for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-06-09, 5:22am
Yeah me!

How about protein shakes?

Old 2009-06-09, 5:40am
DSDWC

Hey Deb,
Are you going to the gathering this year? If so I will be happy to sit down with you at open torch and figure out whats going on. I am sure we can get you back to where your were and then some.

Old 2009-06-09, 5:45am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

No Gathering for me. LOL

Trey my friend, you remember...I had pretty good stringer control. I want it back. It scares me how far I've degraded.

Old 2009-06-09, 9:28am
Now in living color

{{{Debbie}}}

Many cyber hugs to you. I can sympathize on many levels. My brain tumor wiped out my stringer control and many other glass skills. I'm working really hard to regain them. Since you have other issues going on, yours may not be a matter of relearning, so I don't know if this will help. If it took me, say, 20 attempts to learn how to place straight lines before, it now takes 200. Everything is harder and takes longer to learn, but at least I'm getting there! You may just have to spend several days doing nothing but practicing one technique. No beadmaking, just intense stringer boot camp. I took crappy clear, made a gather, flattened it and drew lines with stringers. Over and over and over and over. Then some more. This helped a lot but I still have a way to go. I found that a small flame works best for me, like two inches, and I work to the right side of it.

I've been a veg since 1975. I gag at the very thought of having an animal killed so I could put its bloody flesh in my mouth. How revolting. I guess I could do it if my life depended on it, but I can totally relate to your reluctance. Can you eat falafel with cucumbers? Have you tried Rice Milk? Does your health food store have a nutritionist on hand? Ours does and she's very savvy about complicated restrictions.

I can also relate to the toxic mold situation. My asthma has gradually gotten worse, and my medication had to be doubled last month. I have an appt with an allergist next week to see if mold is/was the reason. We had the mold detection people come out and sure enough, we have it. The remediation job was just completed this morning.

Here's to better health for all of us!

Jinx

Last edited by Jinx Garza; 2009-06-09 at 9:31am.
Old 2009-06-09, 9:41am
Storm Queen

I have a feeling that your stringer problem is more from the new torch than anything else. I think you just need some time to find the sweet spot and get used to it. I really don't turn my flame down for stringer work at all but just work under and to the right of the flame. Everyone is different though. Just give yourself time. One trick I've told people is to use a glass that changes color in the heat like opaque yellow. It will help you get used to when and where the stringer has the right amount of heat for application.

Old 2009-06-09, 11:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierces*designs View Post
My immune system is wrecked. We are slowly trying to heal it. During this time though, I may have to go to eating a piece of chicken once a week. I have been a strict vegetarian for a long long time. If I do have to eat chicken to get protein to heal, trust me it will not be eaten with joy. Once I get my system straightened out, I will be able to go back to a healthy vegetarian diet.
Hopefully you have someone to touch and fix it for you. To this day I have an a horrible time touching raw meat, fish, chicken....tongs are my tool of choice. I wish I could give you the magic fix so you wouldn't have to go down this route.

Do I understand right that this whole thing was caused by mold that was in a home you moved into?

Last edited by bousky; 2009-06-09 at 11:32am.
Old 2009-06-09, 11:28am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousky View Post
Hopefully you have someone to touch and fix it for you. To this day I have an a horrible time touching raw meat, fish, chicken....tong are my tool of choice. I wish I could give you the magic fix so you wouldn't have to go down this route.

Do I understand right that this whole thing was caused by mold that was in a home you moved into?
Lol! I hate touching raw meat (always have) and I'm not a vegetarian. It's just gross.

Old 2009-06-09, 11:53am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Hopefully you have someone to touch and fix it for you. To this day I have an a horrible time touching raw meat, fish, chicken....tongs are my tool of choice. I wish I could give you the magic fix so you wouldn't have to go down this route.

Yes. It wrecked my immune system. My anti-TPO thyroid antibodies are over 2000 and have been for over a year. Literally within one week of moving in here I developed allergies to food I had eaten overnight. I have struggled to breathe for 2 yrs. My body is in a chronic state of inflammation. That includes all the important stuff like arteries, etc. I have developed hyper-sensitivity to mold and chemicals.

I have neurological problems as well. That is probably part of my issues with stringer control. I was looking at pics and I am just amazed how far I have fallen.

Before I moved into this house I was never sick. I never even got colds.

Old 2009-06-09, 12:19pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Debbie,
I'm so sorry to hear of your food allergies! I hope you can find something to help!
As far as stringer control, my hands shake from medication I take so I can't make a straight line, but I've gotten better with PPP. I still have a ways to go!
Good luck!

Old 2009-06-09, 1:10pm
Borovangelist

Try Carolyn's suggestion. I saw Cesare Toffolo do something similar applying a wrap to a goblet in a CMOG video. Neat stuff

As for the food.... Can you make these? Or at least adapt the recipe? They're really good:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemad...rs/Detail.aspx

|
|
Old 2009-06-09, 2:20pm

Am I right in that your condition is the result of mold in a house you just bought? If so, and the mold condition was not made know to you before you bought the house....SEE A LAWYER. I don't know the law in your jurisdiction, but a lawyer could tell you if the seller should have disclosed the mold condition to you. The seller may be liable for your medical costs, among other things.
Old 2009-06-09, 2:34pm

You don't need steak ...you need fish. Clearly being a vegitarian is an important thing to you, but you need to realize that humans are not built for such adventures. Many people can get away with it, but there are many that try and fail because they can't eat things like peanuts and are lactose intolerant.

fish....fish...fish....
Old 2009-06-09, 4:41pm

Debbie I am so sorry to hear about your illness and I agree if you need to eat meat or fish to heal than that is what you must do hope you find the answers you need and get back to feeling like yourself again soon.
' debi
Old 2009-06-09, 5:16pm

To me it seems your health is more important than stringer control ... once you have your health back your muscle memory should kick in for the stringer work. Can you move out of the house?

You can get lactose free milk powder that give you a good amount of protein (thanks to my friend Carol for that useful piece of information) - there's somewhere in Finland that makes it (and China - but you don't want to risk that).

Are oats ok for you?

Main think is to get healthy again I think.

Take care of yourself.

Old 2009-06-09, 7:45pm

Hate to say it, but you may need to move, if your house is that moldy. Looks like you live in a wet, humid area, so the mold will probably be devilish to eliminate. The advice about the lawyer may end up important...

Do you use arm rests at all? Maybe some experimenting on that front will help with your stringer control.

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have a set of conditions that limits your food choices so much. As others have said, sounds like you need more protein for your health. Can you tolerate eggs physically? Some vegans don't put eggs in the same class as other meats, viewing them as being more like a 'pre-chicken'.

Lots of folks care about you!

Linda
Old 2009-06-09, 8:25pm

Debbie...blessings to you. What a nightmare that you are dealing with. I wish I could help. I was also wondering if you had a recourse on the home, either through the seller or landlord. I second Goldsmithy's suggestion to see a lawyer.

Last edited by bousky; 2009-06-09 at 8:28pm.
Old 2009-06-10, 2:07am
a pox upon an idiot :..

If you are considering eating chicken because you don't like fish try some Mahi Mahi. It in no way tastes like fish and has the texture of chicken. It will take on any flavor that you season it with and is firm enough to grill. I really think it would be a better first protien source for you to try before you just jump to eating chicken from being a vegan with all of your diet restrictions.

I believe that it was Jocelyn from Pappashop that had a video on her website that showed the technique that Carolyn mentioned about attaching the stringer and then rolling your bead to get a perfect line. I can't remember the name of her website, but someone else may and chime in, it's a pretty cool technique.
Old 2009-06-10, 4:03am

Debbie, I developed a slight tremor in my right hand. I use wrist supports now. I pulled stringers from Devardi Glass. It is a stiffer glass and now gives me much more control. I am now a "Happy Camper" working with stringers again.
Jim
Old 2009-06-10, 6:31am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Debbie...blessings to you. What a nightmare that you are dealing with. I wish I could help. I was also wondering if you had a recourse on the home, either through the seller or landlord. I second Goldsmithy's suggestion to see a lawyer.
Big Insurance has set a legal precedent that mold related illnesses are not able to be fought in court with any hope of anything. They have actually made it so that labs that test people's blood/serum for the mold titers are harasses legally so that there cannot be a proven link between mold and all the illness that some people get from being exposed. I have learned a lot. Plus, when we discovered the mold, my DH ripped it out and we did not remediate and set up controls because we were so desperate at that point. The minute he moved that wall panel my tounge started swelling and I started choking. So, I left for the day and he removed all the walls.

There are specific gene alles (sp) that predispose some people to these types of reactions. It is the reason that I am so so sick and my husband is fine. It is maddening.

BTW, tonight I am going to post a pic of a beautiful dot/stripe bead I did 8 months ago and one I did this past weekend.

I am going to try the tips you guys gave me. Thank you all!! (I just need time to torch.)

Old 2009-06-10, 6:56am
Formerly FishBulb

Deb, has anybody suggested a possible vitamin B-12 deficiency? Apparently this is a supplement that must be taken in a vegan diet, as it is only available through animal products.

I've known vegans who didn't take it and after several years some of them did develop symptoms like your own.

I know that your problems are caused by the black mold but I'm wondering if those issues ended up triggering the symptoms of an existing B-12 deficiency.

I feel for you deeply. I cannot imagine the daily struggle that your life must be. I hope your health improves, and quickly.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-06-10, 7:14pm

Deb, "non straight" lines are nice! If your life is a mess with the health issues, how about lightening up on yourself re the changes in your beads? I have had to do this as i have some health issues also that create problems- mainly not being able to focus the way I used to, and loss of energy to be creative. If you end up choosing to eat animal proteins, you might feel better if you thanked the animal for providing you with sustenance, in your time of need. its a difficult issue. all the best-

Old 2009-06-11, 10:59am
Ellen Altamore

Location: southwest MI; north of Kalamazoo, south of Grand Rapids

I'm too lazy to read all the posts so I'm sorry if someone has already suggested encased stringers. They're sturdier to work with. If you have some filigrana rods laying around, pull some stringers from them; don't have to go through the bother of encasing your own. See if that helps.

ellenalive.blogspot.com
Old 2010-12-23, 10:38am

Dealing with the stringer issue, without getting into the health parts (of which I know nothing), check out JC Herrell's website. She has free tutorials dealing with stringer control. If you know JC's work, it's pretty amazing. (Of course she'd appreciate a donation in appreciation and has a link to easily do that.) I found her tutorials very clear and helpful. I hope they help. Here's a link: http://www.jcherrell.com/stringerjoy.htm

- Buffalo, NY
Old 2010-12-23, 3:35pm

Debbie, I totally agree with Amy!! After switching to my Scorpion last year, which is the Cricket for the inner fire, I have to totally relearn stringer work!! I was horrified and actually set up my Betta again so I can use both torches! But I am committed to learn stringer work on my Scorpion and plan on many days of relearning after the holidays! Hang in there!!

Old 2010-12-23, 4:02pm

Quote:
Ah yes, protein. The bane of my existence right now. Basically when you are a vegetarian who is on a celiac, diabetic, lactose free diet there is no protein. The doctor keeps telling me to start eating meat. How the heck can I do that? I've been a strict vegetarian since 17 yrs old.
I use brown rice protein powder. No gluten. No dairy. It fits all your requirements. Is it available where you live?

This is the brand I use, but I get it at a local store.
Old 2010-12-23, 7:59pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
I should post the sad bead I made the other night. The lines are so wobbly. It is kinda funny!
try and make wavy line... maybe they will turn out straighter than you think! just figure out the counterpart of your wobbly wobble!
Hang in there!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-12-23, 11:07pm

We're 6 months later ... are you still having issues?

Let us know how it's going.

Hope all is well,

Sadie

Old 2010-12-24, 8:23am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

That you for asking Sadie. Actually, we are 18 months later! Time flies. My stringer control is much much better. I still have a few "gaps" in my brain that I have to relearn things occasionally, but overall my quality of life and my abilities have improved. One thing I think helped a little with the stringer control is Zentangling.

Old 2010-12-26, 6:39pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I couldn't see any references to quinoa yet, and the jury's still out a bit on it in terms of gluten intolerances, but it could be worth looking into.
It's really yummy in soups etc, and can be incorporated into many other dishes/snacks.
Hope the stringer control improvement has also crossed over to your health

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107