Bulk Propane 67 50.38%
1# Mapp gas (yellow can) 38 28.57%
1# Propane 15 11.28%
other 13 9.77%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-12-11, 2:25pm
That which you are given

Default Done on a HH, vote and ST

I have seen the done on a HH thread and it great. I have a couple questions, so here goes.

Pleas vote above and if you would please post a pic of what you did and tell me what setup and glass brand you used below. If you remeber the colors, you used post that as well.

Thanks for the help all

The result are public, incase someone cares.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Chemwapuwa; 2010-12-25 at 4:08pm.
Old 2010-12-11, 2:46pm
Tweedle Dumb

Mapp Pro is more expensive, but worth it IMHO. When I worked on a HH, it was all I used.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-12-11, 3:34pm
one day at a time

I made beads on a HH for the first 18 months before I got the oxy/propane set-up. I love the HH and will start using it again as soon as I can get another 60lb propylene tank. Propylene is similar to Mapp-Pro and you may be able to get it from your local welding shop, or Airgas if you have one near you. Bulk tank sizes are 30lb, 60lb, and 100lb. Some carry 27lb, and my shop doesn't anymore so I have to get the 60lb, and I believe currently it's about $92 plus $20 delivery fee. Monthly tank rental is about $6.

I will have to look around over on Wetcanvas and see if I can pull some of my old HH bead pics from there. I do remember how awesome the Bullseye pinks came out on that torch, and I could never get the same with my current set-up.
Old 2010-12-11, 4:18pm

I use bulk propane but don't have any pictures yet. I sooted up a lot of beads at first, user error. Then came here and scoped the forums and found out I was holding it too close to the torch and keeping the bead in the flame too long. I found its a delicate balance and trial and error.
Old 2010-12-11, 4:21pm
Tweedle Dumb

Well my pictures weren't the greatest back then (still could improve) But this is an implosion that I made on a HH with effetre clear and sunny mango.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/pictur...&pictureid=456

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-12-11, 4:24pm
one day at a time

Tried to pull my pics off Wetcanvas but they are a "file with no extension" and not jpeg, so I can't pull them up on this uploader. Too bad because they were some good HH beads! Just wanted to show how vibrant you can get your colors on the HH and there are some of these beads which I can't make unless I use that torch.

Does anyone know of a better way I can pull pics from Wetcanvas and show them here? I would appreciate that!

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-12-11 at 4:26pm.
Old 2010-12-11, 4:45pm
Salt Box Beads

I use all of them with my HH. If I am just pulling stringers or making small twisties I use just the canisters. If I want to make large beads and not worry about cans freezing I use the bbq tank.

When I am using my Cricket or my Mega I use a pancake regulator on either a propane or a mapp can. I love the cans, small, easy to use and I can use them down to almost the very end and then just haul them to the dump.

Sorry no pics, maybe I can find some later.....

Lorraine
Old 2010-12-11, 5:53pm
Alaska Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Does anyone know of a better way I can pull pics from Wetcanvas and show them here? I would appreciate that!
Login and right click on the image and save image as.....
Old 2010-12-11, 6:42pm
That which you are given

thanks all i'm learning so much, i'm stuck on a HH till i buy a house and I've been having problems. i know i need to ppp and i'll get better.

one question when i use the 1# tanks when do i know it is empty i think i threw my last two out too soon, they just felt empty but how far can i push it to the empty mark

Old 2010-12-11, 7:10pm
It's about having fun!

Pretty soon I notice the glass is not melting as fast as usual... I'll still have a flame but pretty soon you can't turn the flame up..... even though I still have a flame... that's usually when I'll pull a few stringers.... I like to keep it going until I know the propane is gone..
Old 2010-12-11, 11:29pm
That which you are given

oh thanks Jonibird, I got to that ppoint of not being able to turn the flame up, and i threw it out but, now i will pull stringers till the end.

will the flame go out when it is empty is so is that bad for the HH

Old 2010-12-12, 7:17am

All my beads are made with bullseye on a hothead with those yellow 1# cannisters of mapp/mapp pro (I can only find the pro nowadays, it seems). So, plenty of examples of how that works out for me in my sig links.

Old 2010-12-12, 9:40am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemwapuwa View Post
oh thanks Jonibird, I got to that ppoint of not being able to turn the flame up, and i threw it out but, now i will pull stringers till the end.

will the flame go out when it is empty is so is that bad for the HH

When I get to the end of a canister and it is just so low it wouldn't melt ice cubes, I leave the HH full on with the exhaust fans going until it quits. Then I listen to it and leave it full open until I hear all of the hissing completely gone. This usually takes a few minutes even after the flame has gone out.

Then the cans go into a box out in the very back of the yard and then DH will test them all again before taking them to the dump.

I weigh my cans after I'am done with a session and won't get back to the torch for a few days and the postage scale lets me know how many ounces are left, and that lets me know about how much torch time I have left.

If I am planning on making some larger beads I will grab a new can, if I want to just pull stringers I will grab a can that has 4 ounces written on it. I use a sharpie to write with.
Between DH and I we usually have 3 or 4 cans in the garage at some stage of use so marking them helps us to know which one we want and when they are getting close to empty.
Hope this helps
Lorraine
Old 2010-12-12, 11:47am
That which you are given

Yes Lorraine it does help alot, thanks

Old 2010-12-12, 2:20pm
Glass-aholic

I was on a HH for 10 years. Loves it. I used bulk MAPP, and then the guys at the welding shop (ABCO) suggested Propylene. Took a while to adjust to the switch, but it was cheeper, and they guys swore it was cleaner, and hotter. I think when I adjusted to it, yes it was. It took so much adjusting, because your sweet spot moves!!! Different gas, different sweet spot. My welding shop guys are great! I have not seen them in a while though, I have a minor now, with a concentrator. No need for anything from them .

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-12-12, 2:25pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Login and right click on the image and save image as.....
I do that and save it to My Pictures but it comes up as a file without an attachment in this uploader. I have no idea what that means or how I can convert the images to something that will upload here. Weird! Because a couple of them are okay, but that was 2 out of 20.
Old 2010-12-12, 3:45pm

Wish that I could buy MAPP or propylene for $92. Where I live the going rate for propylene seems to be at least $150. Geesh. I started on 1lb canisters of MAPP, but that got expensive, but I also couldn't justify filling up a landfill, so I switched to bulk propane. Which was nice to cool things down to a point where I could really learn how to move the glass. But its dirty, and some colors, no matter how hard you try, are still going to scum up. Now that I've got my own house, my torch is down until I tap into the gas line, and run an exhaust fan to the chimney. Oh yeah, and get something other than a HH. =)
Old 2010-12-12, 7:39pm

HH with a bulk tank for 6 years. Most of the beads shown on this page were made with it:

http://www.nlcbeads.com/gallery.php

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-12-13, 5:56am
Ellen Altamore

Location: southwest MI; north of Kalamazoo, south of Grand Rapids

I've been on my HH for almost 13 yrs and love it. I have no intention of ever switching to a different torch - it suits my needs.
I have always used MAPP/propylene; have a 27# tank for a number of years now.
There are pictures of my beads in the showcase in WC.

ellenalive.blogspot.com
Old 2010-12-13, 7:26am
And silence is golden

I have used 27# tanks of Propylene and 27# tanks of Chemolene.
Old 2010-12-13, 11:36am
one day at a time

One of my favorite HH sets and one of the reasons I never sold the torch:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...ullseye+mix-up
Old 2010-12-13, 1:15pm
It's about having fun!

I see your point, those beads are awesome!
Old 2010-12-13, 1:16pm
It's about having fun!

Oh, the measuring thing would help me alot! Thanks Lorraine!
Old 2010-12-13, 1:34pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonibird View Post
I see your point, those beads are awesome!
Thanks! I realized soon after I made the switch the reason why some folks never use any other torch but their HH! I'll try and find the pics of the bright and deep raspberry pink Bullseye and Reichenbach frit beads I made.
Old 2010-12-13, 2:27pm
...displaced ocean lover

I was on a HH until very recently. I am borrowing a friends torch and just ordered a Mega Minor.

I, too, used the little yellow bottles for a while. I found the squatty bodies lasted longer and never froze up like the smaller ones. But the expense was just so I switched to bulk propylene and it made a huge difference.

My guys here at Ferguson Gas were so patient and helpful. They also said that propylene is hotter and cleaner than natural gas or propane. I did have the same issue with finding the sweet spot but it was so nice to start a bead and not worry if I'd have time to pull stringer AND make the bead!

And I will say that I could do everything that I can do on the minor, wavy beads, murrini, skeleton beads, Storm Beads, hollows...just slower and on a smaller scale. (oh, I couldn't play with Gold Pink, but I think that's all)
Attached Images

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2010-12-13, 8:42pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rae View Post
Wish that I could buy MAPP or propylene for $92. Where I live the going rate for propylene seems to be at least $150. Geesh. I started on 1lb canisters of MAPP, but that got expensive, but I also couldn't justify filling up a landfill, so I switched to bulk propane. Which was nice to cool things down to a point where I could really learn how to move the glass. But its dirty, and some colors, no matter how hard you try, are still going to scum up. Now that I've got my own house, my torch is down until I tap into the gas line, and run an exhaust fan to the chimney. Oh yeah, and get something other than a HH. =)
I used a 7# tank, cost me about 40 bucks, and lasted me about 1 month on average, depending on how often I torched.

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-12-13, 9:45pm
That which you are given

i just need to get use to the HH and i have deal with the 1# tanks for now till i get out of this apt....

everyones beads are fantastic....

Old 2010-12-14, 7:21am
Glass-aholic

all done on a HH

Old 2010-12-14, 8:46am

Smile

I am on a HH- bought a mega minor, but am afraid to hook it up maybe in the spring (that's what I keep telling myself anyways) I am on a HH with a bulk propane tank. I do unhook my hose periodically and blow it out using an air compressor, but mostly it runs pretty well. More soot at the beginning of a new tank, but it's also the best time for reduction glass- better metallics and irridescence. Laura

So everything I make is on a HH- The first set is black, white, special orange, light turquoise and pea green. I encase in Lauscha clear (the HH soft version), its the only clear that does not pick up soot for me, and I anneal at 980. All Moretti/Effetre colors.

Second set is ink blue, raku frit, goldstone and Triton glass.
Attached Images

Old 2010-12-14, 2:09pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonibird View Post
Oh, the measuring thing would help me alot! Thanks Lorraine!