LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-12-14, 7:16am

Default Difficulty Breathing after lampworking - What am I doing wrong?

Hi there,

I have been lampworking for over two years now, however, lately after I have worked for as little as two hours at my hot head torch, I have been experiencing heavy breathing for the next few days afterwords.

I purchased my vent system from a glass company and run it from directly in front of where I'm sitting, out the window only a couple of feet behind. I have done the incense test and even silver leaf and little pieces of paper will get sucked into the vent. I also have a side window open when I'm working for a source of incoming fresh air as well.

Below are a couple of pictures of my setup for you to take a look at. I just don't know what I am doing wrong! I love this hobby so much and really would hate to give it up, but I might have to if I continue to have breathing issues because of it.

Please help! Thanks!
Sarah
Old 2010-12-14, 7:36am
Help i am on fire

maybe the galvanized metal, i read on here somewhere that it lets out poisons when heated. is that what you gave around your fan?
Old 2010-12-14, 7:50am

First i would check how you are breathing while using your torch. A lot of people tend to hold their breath when concentrating hard or doing very fine work. This would tend to make you a bit oxygen hungry and then you might find your self overbreathing as a result. If you notice this when you have the torch off, it could make you anxious and cause you to be rather more conscious of your breathing than you would be otherwise. If you know someone with a pulse and BP monitor, you could try hooking up to that to check your pulse which should rise a bit I would think if you start to over breathe.
You could also try rebreathing into a paperbag if you find you are breathing heavily after a session in case it is anxiety rather than a physical response to the actual lampworking.
Lastly, you could seek a medical opinion
Regards
Kym
Old 2010-12-14, 7:54am
Resident hippie

You could get a respirator too. They aren't very comfortable to wear but you would get used to it. You would be protected from the fumes - if that's what's causing the problem.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-14, 8:39am

I have to watch myself that I get so involved in torching that I "hug" the flame, thus putting my breathing right over the flame. Could this be what is happening?

Ginko Beads
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ginko; 2010-12-14 at 8:41am. Reason: re-read original post: removing question re intake air
Old 2010-12-14, 8:44am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead-meltdown View Post
maybe the galvanized metal, i read on here somewhere that it lets out poisons when heated. is that what you gave around your fan?
That only happens at a point where the zink (galvanizing) is at or near melting point, and there is not enough heat here to even come near that point...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-12-14, 8:46am
put a bird on it

Using a shield in front of your flame is a pretty effective way of keeping yourself form getting too close.
Old 2010-12-14, 8:54am
<--- Time traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
First i would check how you are breathing while using your torch. A lot of people tend to hold their breath when concentrating hard or doing very fine work.
Assuming ventilation is not the issue, I was going to suggest this as well. I have a problem with holding my breath when playing tennis, which as you can imagine does not exactly enhance my performance. I find myself gasping for breath sometimes when I definitely should not be - and I'm pretty fit. I get a little overfocused on what I'm doing and literally forget to breathe until I'm compelled to. I think it has something to do with anticipation - I have noticed that in "real life" I tend to hold my breath when I'm waiting for something to happen (even mundane things) and, in tennis, I hold it even if I'm watching a doubles partner hit the ball!

I would recommend trying some conscious breathing exercises - maybe even listing to a (not-too-fast-paced) song and deciding to exhale every X number of beats, and seeing how you feel after. If you're torching, maybe exhale every X turns of the mandrel?

When I consciously make an effort to exhale every time I hit a tennis ball, I feel like a COMPLETELY different player - both during and after. The difference is truly incredible. If this is your problem, and you can take steps to improve it, I'd be surprised if you didn't find more energy in practically everything you do.
Old 2010-12-14, 8:55am

You might try doing a smoke test while you are sitting at your torch with the working flame turned on. Your body may be creating an eddy current that is drawing torch fumes back to your face. If you have a very strong fan in a setup like this you are more likely to create a low pressure zone directly in front of you. This will cause some of the torch fumes to circulate backwards and get into your breathing area.

Robert
Old 2010-12-14, 9:09am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I remember a thread like this a while ago. She included photos of the studio, and after much investigating, she realized she was so focused and forgot to breathe. She would pretty much hold her breath because she was so involved.

Years ago at a bead meeting, a guest speaker came in to address posture and positioning, and ergonomics. What I learned from that is how important it is to relax and pay attention to our posture and how we are holding things. I tend to tweak my wrist, and that's bad, so I am mindful to correct it for myself and the subject is addressed to my students as well. You'd be surprised how many people tense up, or hover close to the flame, or clench their teeth. So perhaps check in with yourself every few minutes, perhaps prop a mirror so you can see yourself.

Your fan looks decent enough. Have you smoke tested it? It looks like an inline duct booster, and super short distance with no turns. I'm guessing 500 cfm? That should be fine, and shouldn't heat the metal enough to be a problem.

Old 2010-12-14, 9:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
You might try doing a smoke test while you are sitting at your torch with the working flame turned on. Your body may be creating an eddy current that is drawing torch fumes back to your face. If you have a very strong fan in a setup like this you are more likely to create a low pressure zone directly in front of you. This will cause some of the torch fumes to circulate backwards and get into your breathing area.

Robert
Thanks all for your responses thus far. If I myself am causing the fumes to be drawn backward, would a shield stop this as was suggested earlier?

Thanks!
Old 2010-12-14, 9:32am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropsofGlass View Post
Thanks all for your responses thus far. If I myself am causing the fumes to be drawn backward, would a shield stop this as was suggested earlier?

Thanks!
I am very sensitive to the fumes, some of us are. The solutions that finally worked for me were a half mask respirator with P-100 filters (I found that at my local paint store) and I also use a didy shield which has the added plus of not having to wear clip-on didys anymore. If you decide to go with a respirator PM me and I'll send you the information 3M sent me when I wrote to them for advice on the appropriate respirator and filters.

Between the ventilation, the shield, and the respirator I solved my problem. You might also want to consider that if your fan is very strong that you are pulling out more air than your window is bringing in, especially if the window is not directly behind where you sit. If you can, try leaving a door open as well for more make-up air and see if that helps. Also, pay attention and see if you have your mouth open when you torch.

Just some problem areas I ran across as I worked to fix my shortness of breath after torching problems.

Old 2010-12-14, 9:36am
put a bird on it

Quote:

Thanks!
I'm not sure - my shield mainly helps me not stick my face too close. But, doing the smoke test with all in place would tell you. Also, there are different sizes of shields and each could affect things differently.
Old 2010-12-14, 10:13am

Running a smoke test with everything (and you) in place and running will give you the most accurate test of your air flow. You can diagnose the problem, make adjustments and then perfect your system. These tubes are good:

http://www.labsafety.com/search/smoke+tubes/24531933/

Robert
Old 2010-12-14, 10:36am
Just at the begining

just a thought but, where are you getting fresh air from? . Are you using an oxy-con?
Old 2010-12-14, 10:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDeM View Post
just a thought but, where are you getting fresh air from? . Are you using an oxy-con?
The fresh air is coming through a window about 6 ft to the right of me from outside.
Old 2010-12-14, 11:33am
Curmudgeon Engineering

If the make up air is comming from just 6 feet to your right and through the same wall then you may be recirculating the bad stuff your fan is pushing out. The minimum distance recommended between intake and exhaust is 10 feet. If this is a factor then try to get your make up from another source or use ducting to move your exhaust to the left at least 4 ft farther from your makeup window.
Old 2010-12-14, 11:38am
Critter Mom

I've had the same problem...and what I found was that it only seems to happen when I don't get enough air circulation.

I have the same fan and if I flip the switch toward the outlet it pulls air at a lower rate than if I flip it toward the opening...does yours have two speed also ?

You've gotta open your window quite a ways to get the proper amount of air coming in, I've got a big window and I open it at least 14 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginko View Post
I have to watch myself that I get so involved in torching that I "hug" the flame, thus putting my breathing right over the flame. Could this be what is happening?
I do this too...one day my husband came out and caught me and said I was so close I had to be inhaling fumes. After that I try to pay attention to how close I'm getting to the flame.

I'm also a breath holder...and because I can't seem to stop doing it, every time I finish up a bead I turn my torch off and take a break.

If all do all of the above I don't seem to have any troubles...but the main thing seems to be a high volume of "make-up" air. Open your window wide and if you have to, turn your fan on high and see if that fixes the problem.

Old 2010-12-14, 11:41am
honorary bead lady

Quote:
The fresh air is coming through a window about 6 ft to the right of me from outside.
DING, DING, DING! I think you just answered your own question.

This along with the low pressure area.
Old 2010-12-15, 1:34pm
Just at the begining

One other thing, is those inline fans are not very good, they were design as a duct booster fan, and may not have enough cfm's to pull all the products of combustion out, I would seriously consider upgrading that fan to a better fan. You also have a large kink in your duct, that isn't helping the fan any.
Old 2010-12-19, 8:20am
Cat herder

Over time, your body can become sensitized to certain chemicals due to exposure. You may have been able to handle the exposure two years ago when you started, but now your body is more sensitive to the combustion products, so you notice problems more. Fixing the ventilation problems noted above will help, but the sensitivity will probably never get better.

No fancy signature yet.