Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-14, 1:47pm

Default Beginner question

I know you all must hate beginner questions but here I go. Is Devardi glass a hard glass to start off working with? Should I choose different glass?
Old 2011-01-14, 2:09pm
Entropy increasing....

I haven't used it, but from everything I have heard about it it's "shocky" which means the rods tend to explode when you use them. Lots of glass does that, however. You can always warm it up in your kiln first or you can anneal it all.

Other than that it seems to work fine. Not a lot of people use it because it's made in India and the is some question as to the age and safety of the workers making it.
Old 2011-01-14, 2:45pm

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...hlight=devardi
here's a link to a huge thread all about it.
Old 2011-01-14, 2:51pm
Unmedicated since '62

cheap so you could waste it with out much worry but i'm not too sure about how easy it is to learn on shocky glass - i would find it annoying even if i was experienced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-01-14, 5:29pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Do not use Devardi glass if you're a beginner. It will do nothing but frustrate you.

Start with glass that comes in consistent rod widths, like Effetre or Vetrofond. Devardi does not. Also, Devardi is maddeningly shocky. I always preheat the rods in a curling iron oven or under the door of my kiln. It's also very stiff (which can be good!), but if you make big beads like I do, a lot of time has to be spent in the flame.

It is inexpensive, but when the glass is snapping apart and flying all over your work area, it won't be worth it to you.

Old 2011-01-14, 5:56pm
Salt Box Beads

Here is a great video that shows how to start the glass... way out in the flame even on the cooler HH. He took over a full minute to warm up that glass rod.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH7MtJos4Pk
Old 2011-01-14, 6:19pm
Help i am on fire

yep it's hard to work. devardi stringers are better. i use the stringers and love them. good luck and welcome. there are a lot of wonderful people hear on LE, they will help you, they have helped me so much. heat stringers , by waving in flame, or you will get flying glass.
Old 2011-01-14, 6:37pm
honorary bead lady

No we (most of us) don't hate beginner questions as we were all there once.
However a lot of people do get very tired of members who will not learn how to do a simple google search or use the forum search tool (which can lead to pages and pages of results) even after being on the board for years.

For as little as $.68-$1.75 pound more you can get some Vetrofond glass that isn't as shocky and plays nice with everything else.
Old 2011-01-14, 8:01pm
Glass-aholic

I make BF use my divardi glass for practice. He is not really frustrated, (and is FO' SURE not afraid of no flyin' glass! ) He did not seem to have any real issues with it at all the first time he was on the torch, and it taught him patience in glass.. Valuable when moving forward! He seemed to like it. He moved onto my vetro and finds it to be like butter. His control is much better than if he had started with vetro alone. However he did recommend that the rods be re-heated. He thought it was just fine to learn with.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-01-15, 2:07pm
Queen Tut ;)

I tried some devardi glass, and as a newbie I had such a hard time....even with a rod warmer. I had a sample pack of Effetre and CiM and noticed the difference immediately. You can get some super cheap Vetrofond sometimes from Frantz, and it's great as well.

I still have some of my devardi collecting dust, as I don't feel it's of value to anyone to buy.

Old 2011-01-15, 2:18pm
Entropy increasing....

I have to say that I have some Vetro odds that are collecting dust for this exact reason - they are incredibly shocky. I mean the kind where you heat the rod up for 45 seconds and then when you are in the middle of making the bead the rod breaks off 1/2 the way up.

Honey Crunch - love the color, but I hate using it.
Old 2011-01-15, 6:42pm

2 cents worth: I think that if you want to love making beads, you should begin with a glass that is sure to give you great results, without added challenges. Your first challenge should be to make a round bead with dimpled ends, well centered on the mandrel, and then on from there. This isn't really the time to deal with tempermental glass, and DeVardi is, though I love alot of the colors. Set yourself up for success and save the big challenges for a little later down the road. Then try the DeVardi glass.

Welcome to the forums and good luck!! We are all happy to help so ask anything, anytime!!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2011-01-15, 7:58pm

honestly, if you preheat it in a rod warmer or in the kiln I don't have any more problems with it than I do with any of the other glass I have. Read the thread in the techniques section and you will glean a huge amount of info on working with this glass. It does have some totally yummy colors.