LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2012-06-18, 8:07pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Groovy - I should be able to diagnose issues if I can see the results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-06-18, 10:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Photos? I want to help!
Thanks! I'm even more photo challenged than technique challenged. I'll take another whack at it next time I torch. I messed around with the instructions, which is part of the problem, e.g., substituting other glass even though I have the Lauscha. I did try it with steel blue, but work slow is also not really in my repertoire. I think my stringers may also be part of the problem.
Old 2012-06-19, 1:10am
Naysayer

First of all thanks for sharing this!

Didn't work here either, I tried to heat slow. Amber I don't have a photo, I actually turned them into something else lol.

What happened with myself was all the sis went to the middle, wouldn't spread..the slower I went the more it got sucked into the middle and was just a line. I think those of us on anything other than a HH may have to work way way out and slow?

The second one I tried melting just the sis to get a head start on the spreading before I added the color, but then the same thing happened, sucked to the middle and turned into a line of just blackish.
Old 2012-06-19, 3:31am

Here´s my failure. Maybe you can help me diagnose the mistake(s) I made with this one
I used Lauscha steel blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R#115
Old 2012-06-19, 3:32am

Ooohhh... and Amber. Very sweet af you to share. Thank you. I love your work.

R#115
Old 2012-06-19, 4:15am
what's a senior moment ?

And here's mine. The long one's center is exactly as it turned out in the round. That part did not alter at all. I was surprised the flattened one didn't alter much at all either. What you see is what you get. I used Lauscha Olive green and a commercially produced stringer wrapped in silver leaf. The flat one actually looks like it was starting to spread but that's all the further it went.

Old 2012-06-19, 6:08am
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
And here's mine. The long one's center is exactly as it turned out in the round. That part did not alter at all. I was surprised the flattened one didn't alter much at all either. What you see is what you get. I used Lauscha Olive green and a commercially produced stringer wrapped in silver leaf. The flat one actually looks like it was starting to spread but that's all the further it went.

These are how mine look as well but I used Steel Blue.

Old 2012-06-19, 7:25am

I actually did small dots (with stringer I made) in a line around the middle and using Lauscha steel blue, it turned out great. Since almost everything I make goes to BOC, I put clear on the top of the reactions. I'm image challenged as well, but it worked wonderfully! Thanks so much again, Amber!
ginger
Old 2012-06-19, 8:26am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerp View Post
Here´s my failure. Maybe you can help me diagnose the mistake(s) I made with this one
I used Lauscha steel blue

Hmmm, it looks like the steel blue stringer may have been applied thicker than the silvered ivory?

The steel blue should be a thin strip over a thicker stripe of SIS. Apply the full width of the 2mm sis stringer.

If you look at the right side of your bead, the process is starting.

Last edited by *Naos*; 2012-06-19 at 8:53am.
Old 2012-06-19, 8:28am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post

Longer in the flame. You were starting to get the reaction but you stopped too soon. The glass is forgiving if you pull it out of the flame, give it a looksy and put it back in. The glass needs to droop and move all at once.

Old 2012-06-19, 8:29am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
First of all thanks for sharing this!

Didn't work here either, I tried to heat slow. Amber I don't have a photo, I actually turned them into something else lol.

What happened with myself was all the sis went to the middle, wouldn't spread..the slower I went the more it got sucked into the middle and was just a line. I think those of us on anything other than a HH may have to work way way out and slow?

The second one I tried melting just the sis to get a head start on the spreading before I added the color, but then the same thing happened, sucked to the middle and turned into a line of just blackish.
Yes, work further out. The glass needs to move around the mandrel so try making a thinner disk. Apply the full width of the 2mm SIS stringer then just a 1mm strip of the steel blue...then melt.

Old 2012-06-19, 8:38am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Amber, did you know that if you type in "generous" in a thread search that this thread is #3 on the list? I think it should be 1st, 'cause you're so generous!

It is generous of you to share information without asking to be paid for it, and it is really generous to help all of those who are having a bit of problems with the technique. If you ever did a tutorial for sale I think the customer service that would come along with it would sell itself. Very generous. Thanks so much for being so generous!

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2012-06-19, 9:30am
Loving learning

I have only gotten as far as putting the silver on my stringer, but just wanted to say that even the "fails" pictured here are lovely!
Old 2012-06-19, 10:17am
what's a senior moment ?

Thanks Amber, will give it a good go next time around. Longer in flame.............to be continued..............................

Old 2012-06-19, 2:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I have only gotten as far as putting the silver on my stringer, but just wanted to say that even the "fails" pictured here are lovely!
I was just thinking this myself! I would be brilliantly happy to 'fail' that well. Awesome thread. Can't wait til I am good enough to justify using silver on anything. LOL

Mini CC & M15
Old 2012-06-19, 2:08pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Christina, play with silver now...you won't regret it, I promise you!

Old 2012-06-19, 4:03pm
Tending The Fire!

Lovely beads Amber! How very kind of you to share the recipe with everyone. I may just have to give these a try

My Facebook Page!

Old 2012-06-19, 5:56pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
Would anyone care to share what other colors are working for them? I, too, do not have either of the Lauscha colors.

Thanks!

Barbara
CIM Atlantis is absolutely gorgeous, but every one I've done has checked under the Atlantis, no matter how thin I've gotten the stringer...wah.
Had a focal shell that I thought would make it, but a month later, tiny little checks.
I'll bet some of the saturated CIM colors would be pretty.
Old 2012-06-19, 6:19pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Keep viscosity in mind when choosing different colors to spread.

Old 2012-06-19, 9:09pm
dances with ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I totally agree! And it is so helpful to see some pictures and hear Amber's feedback!! I took somequick phone pics, but the pics are even more appalling than the beads. But now I have a few more things to try.

Thanks!!

Old 2012-06-19, 9:18pm
Entropy increasing....

I haven't tried it yet, but I would think Amber probably really heats the piss out of it. She's a real hottie.
Old 2012-06-19, 10:53pm
Practicing perfect

Thank you Amber. gorgeous beads. I will have to try this next time I have torch time.

Old 2012-06-19, 11:26pm

Speaking of viscosity, didn't I see a blog about which colors were considered soft? Which were harder?

I cannot find it now.

Any clues? I think I remember it listed lots of colors and gave it a rating.

Thanks, Barbara

Barbara
Old 2012-06-20, 2:26am
what's a senior moment ?

Is this the blog you're referring to ? http://melanie-graham.blogspot.com/

Old 2012-06-20, 5:28am

Thank you for sharing! These are beautiful and I can not wait to try them!
Old 2012-06-20, 6:53am

very pretty

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2012-06-20, 10:32am
all for the love of glass

Amber something tells me you always have a swirl of great karma around you.

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2012-06-20, 4:06pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

You're welcome!

Old 2012-06-21, 7:06am
Glass-aholic

Amber. Thank. You.

I have been eyeing these beads of yours they are beautiful.

You are using the pastel olive and steal blue? They thin out to this semi transparent color? Or is there a transparent version of these colors I am not aware of?

Are you still on the HH exclusively. That may be a trick to not burning off as much silver as a duel fuel torch to achieve this reaction. I always had better luck with the HH for silver leaf/foil work.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2012-06-21 at 7:09am.
Old 2012-06-21, 12:20pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Yes, still on a HotHead... with the Steel Blue and Olive Green, if you pull a stringer thin enough, you will see that they are actually semi-transaprent.

Tags
acid goddess, amber rules!, denim tigers, free how-to, free tutorial, get etched, great karma for you, hothead tutorial, inspirational, lampwork beads tut, olive tigers, so generous, stand still