AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2012-06-22, 1:11pm
BabblingBeads

Thanks Amber for this tutorial. That was very giving of you. I can't wait to try it. I do have one question.

I don't own any Lausha except for clear. I am looking for these two colors and can't find them. Do they have a code number or can you recommend where I can purchase these colors? I would like to purchase some other glass too so would like to find a place that has both Lausha and Eff. Etc.

Thanks Bunches! You're the bestest!!
Old 2012-06-22, 1:33pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Jill, try glassdaddy.com. Frank is wonderful and it's all Lauscha there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-06-22, 1:55pm
BabblingBeads

Thanks Amber. Will try them.
Old 2012-06-23, 2:56am

Thank you very much for the feedback, Amber. I will try a thinner stringer of the steel blue. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Hmmm, it looks like the steel blue stringer may have been applied thicker than the silvered ivory?

The steel blue should be a thin strip over a thicker stripe of SIS. Apply the full width of the 2mm sis stringer.

If you look at the right side of your bead, the process is starting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R#115
Old 2012-06-23, 3:19am

Thanks so much for this tut Amber, and the glassdaddy link. Will post pics of mine once the glass has made it's transatlantic journey!
Old 2012-06-23, 4:32am
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Default Steel Blue and Olive Numbers

Hi Naos:

First, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and this wonderful free tutorial. Want to give it a try.

I am not at all familiar with Lauscha. Do you know the color numbers for the Steel Blue and Olive? Sometimes here (Germany) they are called something different and would like to make sure I look for the right thing.

Thanks!
(Sorry if this question has been asked and I didn't see a reply)
Old 2012-06-23, 9:15am
Glass-aholic

Thanks Amber

I tried this yesterday, haven't been back to peek in the kiln yet
I started off with a donut bead and then laid the SIS and a thin line of lauscha steel blue, and melted it all in. neat, but not this, so I started working hotter, again neat but not this. I did it about 10 more times with varying amounts of blue stringer, even adding more, because it looked swallowed by the ivory, nothing close to this.
Then I started working cooler in the minor torch turning it WAY down. I also made sure that I was laying down a stringer of color BEFORE burnishing and burning in the silver on the surface. Then I switched to a light purple transparent color cuz my mind was wondering based on the effects I was/was not getting. I got the ivory effect easily in the low flame. I also notices that a wide band of transparent covered and kept the cool effect underneath without being swallowed, that looks like ambers pictures, but still no cool edges like this if you lay down a stripe you get a stripe... Ill be going back to the drawing board with that, because it was so cool...

I am wondering how big these beads are Amber, (I am guessing at biggest 7-10mm about a 4-5mm base donut bead) and if you laid he stringer on the SIS before or after burnishing it in. I know you do not melt it, but is your SIS still silver on top, or has it burned into brown yet? I think I am using more stringer than I should. I also think after re-reading it that I am not getting this hot enough, although I did initially try basically a lighter gravity swirl on this to shape, I got nothing but swallowed stringer.... I did get the great SIS effect, and the blue was not becoming translucent no matter how I stretched it (i had one i dropped a glob of glass entirely off! opps)

Very fun!!! And an interesting journey of possibilities I can see are ahead of me. Good tutorials help to create a single bead. A great tutorial opens up the possibilities to many other styles and ranges possible within the technique. Great Job!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-06-23, 10:04am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Kops View Post
Hi Naos:

First, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and this wonderful free tutorial. Want to give it a try.

I am not at all familiar with Lauscha. Do you know the color numbers for the Steel Blue and Olive? Sometimes here (Germany) they are called something different and would like to make sure I look for the right thing.

Thanks!
(Sorry if this question has been asked and I didn't see a reply)
I'm sorry. I don't know the numbers. I just order from GlassDaddy.com. :/

Old 2012-06-23, 10:16am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I am thinking the problems with the Ivory swallowing the Lauscha may be the Ivory itself! If I use curdled ivory, it doesn't spread as much. I have so many different types of Ivory from smooth rods to rough rods...the smooth rods seem to work best but I've also had good results with the rough.

The base I make is about a 6-7mm bead before I add the stripe of SIS, which is not burnt down, silver pretty much intact... I keep it in the edge of the flame only when applying. Same for the Steel Blue or Olive stringer. Edge of flame. Sticking out of the design, not flush, not marvered to the bead before melting.

Here's about what it should look like before the melting down process begins...the proportions aren't to scale in this diagram but you get the idea ... Final size of mine are usually 9mm x 14mm

Last edited by *Naos*; 2012-06-23 at 1:26pm.
Old 2012-06-23, 12:23pm

Well there's a thought! I'll try a different ivory next time.
Old 2012-06-23, 7:12pm
Glass-aholic

I tried all my shorts of different ivory's for the base but the stringer was comercial pulled, and could have been either. I will try again thank amber for being so ontop of this thread

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-06-23, 8:25pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I've admired those beads for quite sometime. Thanks for sharing your technique. I'm going to give it a try!

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2012-06-24, 8:00am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Well, here are my first results, and I must say I am very pleased!! I went a bit off script and used some Striking Color just to see what it would do. Etching definitely takes them over the top!!

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2012-06-24, 12:05pm
Happiness is....

oh, those are nice looking.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2012-06-24, 12:19pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Yay Joy - scales, too! I can tell you cook the beejeebus out of your glass! LOL

Old 2012-06-24, 12:42pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Cookin' the beejeebus outta glass is what I do best, and the key to getting good results with your technique, Amber. I know mine aren't perfect but I am pleased with my initial beads. Thanks for sharing!

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2012-06-24, 12:49pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I love it! You get that nice crackle I can't really get on HotHead. Gorgeous aged look!

Old 2012-06-26, 6:42am
Loving learning

I don't have any Lausha glass yet, but wanted to try this anyway. I used CG stringer on top of my SIS.
I don't have the look yet, but it was fun & I'll try again. I didn't get the silver balls, but I thought I saw silver gleaming when I was cooking. Did I cook it all out?
Also, I was really tired & didn't bother to round the bead up again after cooking it, sorry.

PS. Do you have any ideas on why I got all the black webbing through the ivory? Is that from the CG?

Last edited by Eileen; 2012-06-26 at 6:45am.
Old 2012-06-26, 6:43am
GlassDocNC

Nice patterning!
Old 2012-06-26, 6:44am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Tried with Lauscha Red... My stringer was a bit too thick but I am still happy with the result!
Attached Images

Old 2012-06-26, 8:37am
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethCreations View Post
Tried with Lauscha Red... My stringer was a bit too thick but I am still happy with the result!
These are great! Transparent or opaque red, I think I have both.

Old 2012-06-26, 10:55am

Wow. really nice varations! I wonder about Buckhorn with Silver? Or the Odd lots that Grace and I bought a few years ago. Will have to test them soon!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-06-26, 1:31pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

LIZ! Yes, that's it! WOW had no idea you could use Lauscha Red - that's so cool! Got any tips for the others who are having problems? I've run out of options.

Old 2012-06-26, 1:33pm
Loving learning

It just dawned on me that I was hurrying, and probably worked close in and got my ivory really really hot quickly.
Next time I'll try to remember to slow down.

Oh, and I'll try some different colors. I was thinking maybe sedona or EDP or maybe pea green... or ...

Last edited by Eileen; 2012-06-26 at 2:35pm.
Old 2012-06-26, 1:53pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

I used opaque Lauscha Red... I tried with purple and it worked as well.. but sincerely, I need to have a thinner stringer!

I am not sure what to say to others as it worked pretty quickly for me. First one were not great (steel blue) but after that, it worked using your technique.

I am on a oxycon (5 lpm) and a Bobcat

Old 2012-06-26, 2:15pm

Thank you Amber for writting this! I so admire your organic beads! I don't have any lauscha colors so I have been using effetre or moretti colors but I don't get the seperations that you do! Still playing tho! I do have one question tho - do I get the stringer hot first then apply the silver leaf? or just wrap it around the stringer then warm lightly? or melt all the way in? Sorry if I seem dense - sometimes it takes a while for me to understand things LOL! OK never mind the questions - I reread some of the posts! DUH LOL Going back to square one and try again!
Attached Images

LynieG

Last edited by LynieG; 2012-06-26 at 2:32pm.
Old 2012-06-26, 3:17pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Lynie, great question! Prewarm the stringer just a tad and heat the tip to a little glow, then roll over the leaf. That should help it adhese. Once it's on, marver it gently against the stringer then make a pass or two back through the flame. That keeps the silver nice and tight on the stringer.

Last edited by *Naos*; 2012-06-26 at 3:53pm.
Old 2012-06-26, 3:36pm

AAhhhh Cool! Thank you Amber!

LynieG
Old 2012-06-26, 8:42pm
Glass-aholic

Elizabeth those look great!!

I got results very similar to lynieG

Old 2012-06-27, 9:05am

Amber, this is a great tutorial! Thank you very much for putting it out there. I spent some time experimenting with your dragonscale tut back when I started, too.

Liz: they look fab with the red

(For people after colour numbers, the factory number for dark teal (steel blue) is SNO 602 and for olive is SNO 603).

I wanna have a go with some other colours too

|
|
|
|

Tags
acid goddess, amber rules!, denim tigers, free how-to, free tutorial, get etched, great karma for you, hothead tutorial, inspirational, lampwork beads tut, olive tigers, so generous, stand still