Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-23, 7:25pm

Default Enamel question

How do you get enamel in certain areas of the bead? Like if you were going to do a smallish flower on a small bead, how would you get the enamel only in that area? I am used to setting/pressing my bead into the enamel. Is there a way to somehow sprinkle it to a confined area? A tool? Are yhou even supposed to do that? I have tried sprinkling it using my fingers, holding them above the bead, but this does not work. In fact, the heat seems to cause a repelling type action. It goes around the bead onto the work table.
LOL...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-23, 7:53pm

I've been trying to figure that out too! Like the techniques Bronwen Heilman and Margaret Zinser use. I'm trying to find a class nearby. Signed up for Bronwen Heilman's class for fusing on window glass at BABE in Oakland, CA in Nov. Hopefully I'll get some hints on how to apply that to a bead.
Old 2012-09-23, 8:06pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Isnt' there a spray to use for enameling....perhaps you could spray a bit and then paint it on, dip in enamel and then fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-09-23, 8:07pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Patti, are you a member of the ning group painting with fire? Barbara is a member here, perhaps you could pm her and ask? or maybe she will see this thread?

Old 2012-09-23, 8:17pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Here ya go. It comes to a pretty small point.

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/sifters___pens.html

Old 2012-09-23, 10:09pm

Oh, I've seen these, thanks for reminding me, Deb. I wonder what size I should get? The red plastic sifter I have, the enamel runs out really easily, which I don't like. It doesn't stay in there. It kind of works, but it's a pain.

Old 2012-09-25, 1:50pm

I purchased a device that vibrates and has different size openings for the enamel to come out. I'll look for name of it when I get home later. Works good for applying to specific areas.
Darlene

Old 2012-09-25, 2:04pm
Angie09

They are at:

http://www.bearfootart.com/catalog.php?category=79
Old 2012-09-25, 2:07pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene Balkcum View Post
I purchased a device that vibrates and has different size openings for the enamel to come out. I'll look for name of it when I get home later. Works good for applying to specific areas.
Darlene
Hi Darlene.

What are the pros and cons on the enamel vibe tool? I've thought about buying one but am just so unsure.
Old 2012-09-25, 6:15pm

I haven't used it for a while but I like being able to place the enamel more precisely. Also, I like storing the colors I'm using in the tubes when I'm making sets over a period of time. I don't get to torch very long on the days I work.

Old 2012-09-30, 10:12am

For a flower or small area wouldn't you just make an enameled stringer and apply it that way?

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-09-30, 10:21am
Rare Florida Native

I have used a metal stencil that had small designs, placed the stencil on my graphite marver, put enamel in the design area, carefully lifted the stencil - then placed my hot bead gently on the design - it can be tricky but it can be done.
Think I bought my stencil at Michael's?

Old 2012-09-30, 5:28pm

for small dots I lick (or you could tap on a damp sponge) the flush end of a cut off mandrel, dip in enamel and press onto the bead, as long as the mandrel's cold it just transfers the enamel without sticking ...
Old 2012-10-07, 4:50am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I believe both artists paint the enamel on a cold bead then reheat. I could be wrong.

Old 2012-10-07, 6:01am

I don't paint on beads but on fused glass. I get my enamel paints from
http://kaiserglass.com/page32.html
They are great people with a good product. If you go to their site sign up for their tutorials, There is a lot of good info.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2012-10-07, 11:33am
novembersfyre everywhere

If you want the look of sifted enamel in a design you can create the design on your marver and roll the hot bead over it. (This is what C-Ann said.) Then finish in the flame.

Another alternative would be to take the cold, annealed bead and either brush or stencil some enamel glue onto the bead (like Klyr Fyre sp?). Sift the enamel on the cold bead over the glue design. Put your bead back in the kiln ( you did leave it on the mandrel- right?) and bring it up to temp then cure the enamel in the flame. I just purchased some adhesives appliques that are already a pattern to use for this purpose.