Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-20, 4:06pm
It's about having fun!

Sorry, I spent the day being even more upset because someone stold all the lighted pumpkins on our wall, makes me mad! I duct taped what they didn't steal.
Anyway, someone posted on another site... a clue at first then more I believe... I haven't looked again..
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-10-20, 4:22pm
Alaska Boro

Perhaps starting with number 4?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437538
Old 2012-10-20, 4:57pm
Back to 👊 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyceMI View Post
What do you mean? Did someone out it.... and now you are just going to post it for all to see what it is?
I'm confused. Is the OP going to share the info for free after a tutorials has been sold ? I truly apologize if I'm misinterpreting the question, just wondering what the heck is going on.

ETA: I know that most days I'm dim and need a big fat crayon for some things to be explained to me, today is no different!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by myrdlebp; 2012-10-20 at 4:59pm.
Old 2012-10-20, 5:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrdlebp View Post
I'm confused. Is the OP going to share the info for free after a tutorials has been sold ? I truly apologize if I'm misinterpreting the question, just wondering what the heck is going on.

ETA: I know that most days I'm dim and need a big fat crayon for some things to be explained to me, today is no different!
I'm not sure. That was sort of my take on it. Her post wasn't really clear. It was sort of cryptic.

Old 2012-10-20, 5:26pm
Cancer SUCKS!

I'm clueless too and I followed the link and have NO clue what item she said is from the Dollar store?

Old 2012-10-20, 5:30pm
I'm a lilac!

I don't think she's talking about the post from that thread, because bending needle-nose pliers to make a punch has been around forever, and I am pretty sure somewhere way back in this thread she said that wasn't it. I am completely clueless about it what it is or what's happening. I just come to this thread hoping for bead pics.

Old 2012-10-20, 5:33pm
Back to 👊 1

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I just come to this thread hoping for bead pics.
So, you're a peeper!?

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2012-10-20, 5:34pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrdlebp View Post
So, you're a peeper!?
I totally am!

Old 2012-10-20, 5:53pm
It's about having fun!

Sorry, I don't mean to be cryptic, it's been a crazy day. eww and I hate the word "OP".
Anyway, yes I'm going to tell what the tool is made from, you might as well hear it from me. Anyone want to know! Now I'm being coy.
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-10-20, 6:00pm
It's about having fun!

And here, I'm home alone and bored now. Anyone want to try and guess? I might as well have a little fun!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-10-20, 6:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonibird View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to be cryptic, it's been a crazy day. eww and I hate the word "OP".
Anyway, yes I'm going to tell what the tool is made from, you might as well hear it from me. Anyone want to know! Now I'm being coy.
That really doesn't seem fair to all the people who paid for the information.

Old 2012-10-20, 6:11pm
It's about having fun!

Sorry Joyce, but some people are already saying what the tool is elsewhere, so I'm told, and it would just really make me upset if it shows up here, I might as well be the one to say it....I'm not going to give all the info in the tutorial, some would figure it out easily but it would be helpful to follow the tutorial I think. I'm hoping the ones that purchased the tutorial will understand. It's my idea and I want to be the one to tell if it's going to be told. Sorry
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-10-20, 7:12pm
honorary bead lady

Seems that you are basing all of this on hearsay, Have you actually seen where they are "outing" your tool mod and WHO is doing it?

Have they actually seen your tool or purchased the tutorial? If they have I would out them before I would out the tool that you figured out how to re manufacture
Old 2012-10-20, 7:15pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Seems that you are basing all of this on hearsay, Have you actually seen where they are "outing" your tool mod and WHO is doing it?

Have they actually seen your tool or purchased the tutorial? If they have I would out them before I would out the tool that you figured out how to re manufacture
What he said!

Old 2012-10-20, 7:22pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post

I agree with David... I wouldn't be so hasty without seeing the actual posts in question and confirming that it is someone who has seen your tutorial or tool and is spreading info from it. It does seem unfair for those who have paid you for the tutorial for you to spill the beans to everyone else for free.

On the other hand, if it's as simple as you say, perhaps the same modification has occurred to someone else, in which case, they don't deserve to be punished or accused.

Why don't you do a little more checking around, view the posts in question yourself, and have an email conversation with the other person to confirm whether they are posting information from your tutorial?

Old 2012-10-20, 7:44pm

Im going to take a guess... that is what you said... to try to guess before you say what it is...right?
Im guessing you are using a towel clamp.??
Wouldnt have to do much to make it work thats for sure.

I hope im wrong really cause i was hoping it was something i would have no clue about.
Old 2012-10-20, 7:53pm
It's about having fun!

No Khan, but hey!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-10-20, 8:04pm
It's about having fun!

Okay, really I did not think this would cause a problem, I took for granted this was my idea and I could do whatever I wanted with it.. well I see maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not understanding.
Let me say my point as clear as possible, and if you are a person who bought the tutorial and are greatly offended then please weigh in....
I would understand people being upset that paid for the tutorial if I were to post the tutorial now for free, kind of... I think over time people have a right to do that if they see fit... I'm pretty sure I've seen that actually. But okay I get it. It's somewhat the same debate as people putting tutorials on sale, I think it's fine.
But if I want to let people know what the object is you modify, I don't understand the objection. The tutorial would still be very helpful. The people who bought the tutorial may have not been able to make the tool without it, I'm not sure.
I know that there are persons that have made it public, I don't know how much worse it got because I'm not looking anymore..... But if someone is going to "spill the beans" I want it to be me" Why is that wrong?
Seriously, I just don't understand why it's upsetting people.
I'm listening...
Thank you
Joni
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-10-20, 8:13pm

How is it different from people putting a tutorial on sale after selling it at a higher price?
Old 2012-10-20, 8:15pm

Quote:
Okay, really I did not think this would cause a problem, I took for granted this was my idea and I could do whatever I wanted with it.. well I see maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not understanding.
Let me say my point as clear as possible, and if you are a person who bought the tutorial and are greatly offended then please weigh in....
I would understand people being upset that paid for the tutorial if I were to post the tutorial now for free, kind of... I think over time people have a right to do that if they see fit... I'm pretty sure I've seen that actually. But okay I get it. It's somewhat the same debate as people putting tutorials on sale, I think it's fine.
But if I want to let people know what the object is you modify, I don't understand the objection. The tutorial would still be very helpful. The people who bought the tutorial may have not been able to make the tool without it, I'm not sure.
I know that there are persons that have made it public, I don't know how much worse it got because I'm not looking anymore..... But if someone is going to "spill the beans" I want it to be me" Why is that wrong?
Seriously, I just don't understand why it's upsetting people.
I'm listening...
Thank you
Joni
I bought the tutorial and even though it was not a pricey one, it is the whole idea of now you want to give the information for free. It is not a good business practice I don't think.

If the item in question is not such a big deal to spill the beans about then why didn't you just let people know what it was earlier way back in the thread before you even wrote the tutorial..... Because the knowledge of the item in question was pretty much the main part of what you were charging for. Otherwise you would have shown a picture of it. Once you see the item you can surely figure it out and people will just figure out their own method of getting it from point A to point B.

Quote:
Sorry Jaci, It's just that it's such a simpe concept, if there was a picture I think the tutorial woud be pointless. I'm not money hungry, but I do think it's a worthy enough idea that it's okay that I make a few dollars. I've never been able to do that before. But, you are certainly intitled to your opinion. No problem.

You even state here that it is such a simple concept, if there was a picture you think the tutorial would be pointless.

which is it.

Old 2012-10-20, 8:16pm
Loving learning

Joni, I bought the tutorial, & thought that I could go look to be sure that the beans have actually been spilled if you want to PM me the place to look. I tried finding it through google and haven't found it, so maybe they didn't actually blab?
Old 2012-10-20, 8:17pm
susanLambert

I have the tutorial and think it is helpful in showing how it's done. So if someone knew 'what' it's done with, the tute is still helpful. And it wasn't a real expensive tutorial, so to me it doesn't matter if the word gets out.

Old 2012-10-20, 8:20pm
It's about having fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyceMI View Post
I bought the tutorial and even though it was not a pricey one, it is the whole idea of now you want to give the information for free. It is not a good business practice I don't think.

If the item in question is not such a big deal to spill the beans about then why didn't you just let people know what it was earlier way back in the thread before you even wrote the tutorial..... Because the knowledge of the item in question was pretty much the main part of what you were charging for. Otherwise you would have shown a picture of it. Once you see the item you can surely figure it out and people will just figure out their own method of getting it from point A to point B.

You even state here that it is such a simple concept, if there was a picture you think the tutorial would be pointless.

which is it.
I don't plan on showing a picture. As I said, I just want to be the person to "out" it instead of someone else. It's that simple.
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-10-20, 8:22pm

Ok then fine.... hehehe
ill have to guess again then... it cant be but so many things ..ill just guess till i get it..heheh
ummmm..... nail clippers???

C'mon thats it ...right?

Khan
Old 2012-10-20, 8:29pm
It's about having fun!

Eileen, the first clue they gave was changing their avitar as a clue.... google isn't going to show that kind of thing. There was more but it was sneaky. I'm sorry, I'm not outing them, it would be like pointing a finger at LE, and it wouldn't be fair to the community. I'm not trying to cause drama, truly. I don't think they would care anyway....
I just don't want to feel totally defeated.
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-10-20, 8:30pm
Loving learning

I totally understand, but just to set your mind at ease, I would only have told you, not posted it here. I was just hoping to let you know if they didn't "tell".
Hugs
Old 2012-10-20, 8:49pm
It's about having fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I totally understand, but just to set your mind at ease, I would only have told you, not posted it here. I was just hoping to let you know if they didn't "tell".
Hugs
Thank you Eileen, I know you weren't trying to start anything! I just know it's a matter of time before it get's here so thought I'd do it myself. It's always been a matter of time anyway, there's always a bad apple somewhere...I've been treated very well here on LE, but that's not always the case.
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-10-20, 10:10pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinj View Post
How is it different from people putting a tutorial on sale after selling it at a higher price?
I think that the big difference is that everyone who has bought it has agreed not to talk about the materials used. That is fairly unusual as tuts go, as far as I know. There may be others out there with secret materials lists, and I know that there are at least a couple where the supplier list is part of what you're paying for, but it's pretty unusual. Most tuts, the sellers let you know what supplies you have to have in advance so you can decide whether it's doable, or even something you want to do.

On the other hand, I know some people have opted to give certain tuts away after selling them for some time. I think that usually they "retire" the tut from sale for a while, so that everyone who paid for it has the chance to feel like they got their money's worth from it.

Old 2012-10-20, 10:33pm
It's about having fun!

Thank you Kalera, I admit I am not savy when it comes to business dealings of most any sort, I seriously thought it would not be that big of deal....Thanks for the input.
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-10-21, 5:01pm

I'd be all for you releasing this information the public.

My understanding of the agreement is:
I can't do public demonstrations using this tool.
I can't use this tool in anything posted on youtube or in any other tutorial.
I can't let other glassworkers into my studio if the tool is visible.

Any of these is just too much for an end-user product.

Tags
hole in glass, tool