Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-01, 12:40pm

Default Are all Glass Nippers the Same?

I have so far purchased two pairs of glass nippers and both have proven to be crap. One pair broke and the second pair are truly hard to use and do not nip my rods cleanly. Maybe it's me.

Can anyone recommend a good pair? Is there really a difference? Maybe it's me...wha, whaa, whaaaa...lol

Any recommendations?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-03-01, 12:58pm
Whooooo, me?

If all you are nipping/cutting are rods, side nippers seem to work best vs. wheeled nippers.
Like these: http://flametreeglass.com/index.php?...roducts_id=600

The wheeled ones work better for wider vs. round canes. http://flametreeglass.com/index.php?...roducts_id=599

Another little tip is to get the "blades" touching the glass and then do a forcible quick squeeze vs. trying to squeeze long and hard.

Old 2013-03-01, 7:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildatHeart View Post
If all you are nipping/cutting are rods, side nippers seem to work best vs. wheeled nippers.
Like these: http://flametreeglass.com/index.php?...roducts_id=600

The wheeled ones work better for wider vs. round canes. http://flametreeglass.com/index.php?...roducts_id=599

Another little tip is to get the "blades" touching the glass and then do a forcible quick squeeze vs. trying to squeeze long and hard.
Thank you so much for the info on the nippers and your tip!!! I can't thank you enough, will go ahead and order new ones!! The right ones!!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-03-04, 4:53pm
Lizard rescue squad

I'm not sure what brand FlameTree sells but I highly recommend the carbide blade tile nippers made by Superior. I've had one pair for over 20 years and they still work very well, which is impressive considering how much cane I cut.

In an attempt to make cane cutting a little easier, and because I wanted a second pair of nippers so I could cut cane at either my house or in my shop without having to cart around the pair I had, a couple of years ago I made the mistake of buying a pair of compound tile nippers at Lowes. In spite of the fact that they also had carbide blades they turned out to be absolute crap. In about a month the blades were completely destroyed. Since they came with a lifetime replacement guarantee I traded them for another pair, hoping the first was just a bad one. Same deal, the blades were destroyed within a few weeks. A third pair (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment) gave the same result.

Added on 3/8/13:
Hmmm, that's weird. I came back to take another look at this thread and half my post was gone. The missing part said that the nippers I use are Superior model #80 and #25. The #25 are better for thin cane because they close tighter. (I may have mistakenly said these were #40 when I posted earlier. Hope not...) The model numbers and proper names are below. The handles are color coded with the #80 green and the #25 handle white.

#80 Superior Carbide Nipper ST020 - 3/16' opening, 5/8" Offset Jaws
#25 Superior Carbide Nipper for Thin Tile ST025 - 1/8" Opening, 5/8" Offset Jaws

Normal price is between $20 and $30, depending on where you buy them.

Brad

Last edited by glassmaker; 2013-03-08 at 4:57am. Reason: Replaced missing text
Old 2013-03-04, 4:59pm

Awesome, Brad! Thanks so much! Off to do an internet search.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-03-05, 9:59am
maybe tomorrow

I've had several types of rod nippers, and my absolute favorites are the ones I got from Malcolm at Artco.

They are a little more expensive than some, but totally worth it to me. I LOVE THESE! And they work really well on murrini too.

The "Glass Parts Cutters" (the first one on the page)

Tags
glass nippers, nippers, rod nippers