Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2012-03-18, 7:36pm
Boro Brat

Talking Chain and Button Tutorial!

It was suggested that I post my Chain and Button tutorial here by one of my fabulous customers! Here is the link to purchase it:

http://pipyr.com/tutorials.html

And this is an abbreviated version of the write-up on my site:

Here is the Chains and button tutorial that everyone has been asking me for! 39 pages of a zillion pictures and detailed descriptions of how I make the chains and buttons that I have been selling on eBay!

This tut is a 3.6mb PDF file with 39 pages and a bajillion photos...ok, maybe not a bajillion, but there are more pictures than I have an interest in counting. Let's say this tut is "profusely illustrated" The layout is extremely simple and the whole tutorial is black and white except for the photos, in the hopes that it will be as easy to print as possible, if you choose to do so.

Thanks for checking it out!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-18, 7:42pm
THE PEN IS BLUE!!!

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-03-18, 8:26pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadsbybrat View Post
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant!
Yes, you do! The chain part is just fantastic and the button technique is new to me! I just love it!

Old 2012-03-19, 3:24am
what's a senior moment ?

I concur ! Pipyr's tutorial really is wonderful ! Very well done and priced just right.

Old 2012-03-19, 1:39pm
Glassy Broad :-)

I love this tutorial! Here is a phone photo of my first ever chain. Made the toggle too! So if I can do it, anyone can
Thanks Pipyr!

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2012-03-19, 5:43pm
Lover of Life

Wow, looks great Pipyr! And Nita, yours looks fantastic and I would love to see a clearer pic! Well done!

Pipyr I know you are the Boro Brat, and I'm kinda assuming (but hoping I'm wrong) that this can be done in boro only?

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2012-03-19, 8:07pm
I think I could be a bead

Just bought mine, and I can hardly wait to try this out! Thanks!

Old 2012-03-20, 5:01am
Boro Brat

Thanks guys!!

Nita, that looks amazing!! Good job!!

Becky, with a little extra care and a little trick, this can be done in soft glass too!! I tried before I wrote it, so this tutorial is for either type of glass!

Old 2012-03-20, 8:49am

This looks great.
Do you think it will be doable on a mega minor and a 5lpm oxycon? Hoping it wil be.

R#115
Old 2012-03-20, 11:31am
Boro Brat

Yes, it really can be done on anything! A HH would be a challenge because the flame is so bushy, but even that could likely be made to work Your mega minor would even do a boro chain, although it would be a bit slower

Old 2012-03-20, 12:09pm

Thank you. I bought the tut and can't wait to give it a go.
It is a great and informative tut as always ��.

R#115
Old 2012-03-20, 1:05pm
Heart of Flame

Hi Pipyr, this looks really interesting - just a quick question please, if you can answer it. This looks like it is done off mandrel. Is that true or would I need some new tools, etc?

Thanks for sharing!

Old 2012-03-20, 1:42pm
Boro Brat

It is off-mandrel! Nothing out of the ordinary required

Old 2012-03-20, 3:02pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Is your site down? I'm having trouble getting it to open.

Ebay:
Old 2012-03-21, 9:04pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Ooooh! I have been wanting to do this for a long time!

Yay! Thank you Pipyr for writing this! I can't wait to see it!

Old 2012-03-21, 11:39pm

I had a blast with this tut yesterday. I almost managed to make a whole necklace.
I worked on a mega minor and I could def have used more heat.
Will post pictures later.

Love the tut and the technique, by the way. And the way you make buttons is brilliant and much easier than a button mandrel.

R#115
Old 2012-03-22, 9:02am
"Sinners have soul too"

I got mine and can not wait to play today! Yay!

Old 2012-03-22, 9:44am
Queen Bee

Just bought it -thanks Pipyr

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-03-22, 12:02pm

I sent you an email Pipyr
Old 2012-03-22, 1:07pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Ha! I have to clear links in the kiln... they are linked together! Yay!

I think I will do links of two, then link the links together =)

Old 2012-03-25, 5:34am
Boro Brat

Thanks, everyone!! I'm so glad you are all enjoying it!!

Old 2012-11-09, 10:51am
Mr Brutus RIP

Has anyone been doing more chains? My secret santa Robyn sent me the tutorial and I had to get to it ASAP!!! It is awesome! I'd been trying on my own to do it in soft glass but the most I could get is 2 links. With pipyrs tutorial I was able to do it in boro and will definitely be able to do it in soft glass too.....well that is now if I wanted to LOL I made my first boro off mandrel button too. Pipyrs directions were so easy and yes, way easier than a button mandrel. I LOVE making buttons and even more so now!! Heres what i've gotten so far on my chain and my button too!
Attached Images

Old 2012-11-30, 11:35pm
I speak Murrini!

Everyone's chains look so lovely! I have this Tutorial (bought it right after it debuted) but I still only have my Hot Head and I don't think there's a hope in hell of melting boro on it (although I'm almost ready to try! )

Has anyone had success making a chain in soft glass? I know Pipyr did it and I see Sue gave it a go (before you got the Tutorial, right?) but I'm really, REALLY wanting to try this!

It there such a thing as boro "stringer"? Maybe if it were thin enough, it would be my best hope...

HELP!

(please...)

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-12-01, 2:42pm
"Sinners have soul too"

There is such a thing... it's really more like 3-4mm rods but I think you should be able to melt it with your HH... in fact, I believe that if anyone can do it, you can.

Old 2012-12-01, 6:11pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Donna for the encouragement! I did find some 4mm "Asian" boro clear rod on ABR last night...and I think I'm going to get some and try it! I see it comes in 4' lengths; any idea how much (lengthwise) I should get? It's very inexpensive, but I'm betting the shipping is WAY more than the glass!

Old 2012-12-01, 6:14pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Probably be easier to get it from Pacific.

Old 2012-12-01, 6:19pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Hey De,
I did soft glass for earrings for hayleys exchange. I could only get 2 links without cracks, the third always cracked on me LOL
My finished chain.......I LOVE it, I wear it all the time. I did make a triangle clear one but haven't sewn the leather and button on. FOr my chain I made a boro toggle that has held up nicely. Its put together with some heavy copper links at the end so the toggle slips through since i didn't make the last one big enough but I really love how it came out. I'm working on another that is not quite circles, its coming out great! I think if you purchased thinner rods you could do it. The clear I have is much thinner than the colored stuff I have.
Here a pic not quite finished........doesn't show the toggle attached but its done with the copper links and feeds into the round one. I wear it a lot!
Attached Images

Old 2012-12-01, 6:21pm
Mr Brutus RIP

De, would you like me to send you some clear? Its the clear in my chain above, as you can see its smaller thickness than most of the other boro links. I can send you a few pieces to try....... The triangles may be easier to try for you then the circles.........I heated them and then let gravity bend them...... The circles are a bit more work and heat.

Old 2012-12-01, 8:01pm
I speak Murrini!

Sue, that would be great of you! I will shoot you a PM! Thanks so much for the offer!

I've done straight angle bends (I make little "stands" from clear stringer that fit into tiles to hold my "vessels"), so I may try the triangles too if that's OK? Since you've made a full necklace, can you guess-ta-mate approximately how many 4' rods I should figure on getting from ABR to make at least 1 necklace? I have other stuff to order from them, and I'm figuring I'll get the hang of this eventually, but I will happily send you something in trade and pay ship too?

Yay!

Old 2012-12-01, 8:22pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Great, send me your addy in a pm and I will get them out to you!! No trade or shipping necessary.
I think about 3 inches per triangle give or take a bit, and yes, give triangles a try for sure!!