No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-01-14, 8:16am
hyperT

Default Bead Roller

Anyone know where one can find a bead roller in this shape, preferably in graduated sizes, graphite perhaps? Seems to me it would be of great and lasting intrinsic social redeeming value. Apple wood? Cast Aluminum?
Use wet newspaper in the palm of my hand like I do for shaping marbles? Mill some brass or bronze?
Eyeball it? Have a pro here make them for me? What?

Old 2015-01-14, 8:21am
Angie09

Ask Donna at CG Beadrollers...she's often up for new shapes.
Old 2015-01-14, 8:45am
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Ask Donna at CG Beadrollers...she's often up for new shapes.
Thanks! Will Do.
Old 2015-01-14, 9:28am

Looks like donna's bicone beadrollers! I am loving the bicone rollers I got for Christmas!

SRA #C88

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-14, 9:31am
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozles View Post
Looks like donna's bicone beadrollers! I am loving the bicone rollers I got for Christmas!
Close to a bicone but without sharp angles. I guess they could be
firepolished out.
Old 2015-01-14, 9:58am
Shelarious

You can handshape that pretty easily. Make a tube, wrap glass more in the middle. Marver.

Old 2015-01-14, 10:09am
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshelle View Post
You can handshape that pretty easily. Make a tube, wrap glass more in the middle. Marver.
I'm sure I've done that a million times or so.
Old 2015-01-14, 10:12am
Shelarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperT View Post
I'm sure I've done that a million times or so.
Huh? I don't know what you mean.

Old 2015-01-14, 10:17am
hyperT

Quote:
Huh? I don't know what you mean.
I mean yes I can do that, but was looking for a faster way. Your method is great for making one of a kind beads but several in a row may not work out so well. Didn't mean to offend you, I usually just open my mouth to change feet.

Thanks for your input.
Old 2015-01-14, 10:29am
Shelarious

Quote:
I mean yes I can do that, but was looking for a faster way. Your method is great for making one of a kind beads but several in a row may not work out so well. Didn't mean to offend you, I usually just open my mouth to change feet.

Thanks for your input.
Ah, gotcha. Not offended in the slightest, it was just a question. I usually just take off my sweater to add a layer of skin. (does that even make any sense? I fail at analogies)

I want to add that I bought the large, chunky bicone beadroller but I still actually prefer to do it by hand. The beadrollers require the exact amount of glass and I'm just not exacting. I end up using the backside as a the best graphite marver I've ever used much more often.

Old 2015-01-14, 11:05am

I've been using an Osibin Former from Arrow Springs for about 15 years. I love it because it does have that smooth transition between the ends, no sharp bicone middle to the bead.
Old 2015-01-15, 10:34am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Didn't mean to offend you, I usually just open my mouth to change feet.
Quote:
Ah, gotcha. Not offended in the slightest, it was just a question. I usually just take off my sweater to add a layer of skin. (does that even make any sense? I fail at analogies)

Old 2015-01-15, 5:22pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I'd use a bicone bead roller, then do the final pass with an osibin lentil shaper. It's my favorite way to get a gentle curve.

L-111

Old 2015-01-16, 4:11am
hyperT

Default Thank You!

Thank you all for the tips. LE is such a great place with such great people!
Old 2015-01-16, 5:06am
Dichro Addict

Looks like Donna's oval shape bead roller. She has every possible size.

Old 2015-01-16, 3:50pm

You've got me curious HyperT. Wet newspapers? Really?? That sounds super interesting. I've seens your other video tuts and found them to be very useful. I don't suppose you'd do one describing this technique??
Old 2015-01-16, 5:15pm

not sure how HyperT does it for a bead but the link below lets you get a glimpse of how they do it in a hot shop periodically........pretty fascinating actually......if they aren't shaping glass with jacks, they are using wet newspaper or a cherry wood mold - with the water and paper, one would think the glass would get all cracky but it doesn't

http://museumofglass.org/glassmaking...m-the-hot-shop

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-01-16 at 5:21pm.
Old 2015-01-17, 3:29am
hyperT

Default Newspaper

I don't use wet newspaper to make beads, I use it to make large marbles or crystal balls at the lamp. The Wall Street Journal is supposed to be the best for this since the inks are made with soy and won't impart to the glass, but I've never had that problem with any newspaper. I may make a video later on, once it gets a bit warmer here. I plan on making several actually. If you are going to try this make sure your paper is folded up to about 3/8 of an inch or more, well soaked and wet it often.

Have fun, Wayne
Old 2015-01-17, 3:37am
hyperT

Default Crackle or Ice Glass

A decorative effect that causes the surface of the glass to resemble cracked ice. This is achieved by repeatedly plunging a parison of hot glass into cold water and withdrawing it quickly. The thermal shock creates fissures in the surface, and these impart a frosted appearance after the parison has been reheated to allow the forming process to continue.

I wouldn't recommend trying this one since if it isn't done just right the glass
can explode. Ask me how I know. You may have seen this effect in some decorative vases or light fixtures before.

Have fun, Wayne
Old 2015-01-17, 3:47am
hyperT

P.S. I'm gonna try to carve a mold with my computerized lazer engraver this weekend and see what I can come up with. Donna from CG Beads told me that she would make the mold for me in February and add it to her line of bead rollers.

Wayne
Old 2015-01-17, 8:14am

I definitely won't be trying the technique anytime soon, but it sure has me curious. (If i were a cat, I'd be dead). I'll look forward to seeing your new tuts when you get around to making them. Thanks for the comments.
Old 2015-01-17, 11:38am

I've done that crackling technique on small beads and other than skydiving or bungee jumping, it gets the heart going faster than anything else. The suspense of whether or not the bead is going to explode is crazy making.
Old 2015-01-17, 9:34pm

Anyone remember when we used to "fry" marbles? Heat them in a frypan and plunge them in water. The glass would crackle so beautifully. Add some cheap jewelry findings and we thought we were something.

Old 2015-01-18, 4:15am
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb L View Post
Anyone remember when we used to "fry" marbles? Heat them in a frypan and plunge them in water. The glass would crackle so beautifully. Add some cheap jewelry findings and we thought we were something.
I was wondering when someone would mention that.
Old 2015-01-19, 3:50pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I was just thinking about that the other day. My Mom had me frying marbles for a project she was working on when I was about 10, nowadays 10 year olds can barely breathe unsupervised and surely wouldn't be allowed to play with exploding glass!

L-111

Old 2015-01-20, 12:17am
Naysayer

I marver, sometimes with the Osibin as others mentioned. The rollers would take more time imo, you have to fit it into that cavity every time which to me looks like a pita.